• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know the definition of "open carry in WY?

jbowers24

imported post

Some states, such as arizona state that ahalf inch square of the holster is all thats needed to be considered open carry. Anyone know about WY? I wondering if IWB would be a fine method of OC. Thoughts?

HungSquirrel

imported post

There's no definition of open carry, as there are no state laws regarding open carry. What you really need is the definition of "concealed". I can find no definition in state law, so you would have to find something in case law. If no cases regarding Wyoming's definition of "concealed" exist, I imagine you're left with looking in a legal dictionary.

Also, bump.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Unless you are going to be in Cheyenne, Jackson Hole or some other rapidly deteriorating section of the state, you really don't need to worry about it. Nobody much cares what or how you carry if you are clean cut and friendly.

Actually "concealing" your gun is a misdemeanor (without permit), and it is unlikely anyone is going to use a ruler to decide that, if anyone should notice at all.

You must be responsible for knowing the laws thoroughly if you choose to conceal, of course. Open carry is perfectly OK in lots of places CC is not "allowed," which is silly - but not mine to determine. Know the law, then make up your own mind what you want to do.

Wyocowboy

imported post

In the 25 years Ihave lived in Wyoming, I have come across a lot of views on what constitutes "legal" open carry. Bottom line is there is no definition on what it is. I know that most of the time here, if some one sees a gun, usually the response is. Hey wht kind is it, what cal. ? Not what are you doing with it. I am in LE and am very progun as most of the LE officers I know are. I think a lot depends on how you conduct yourself as to how you are treated by LE.

mdguy90

imported post

I live in Jackson Hole, and I OC with a desantis IWB. Never been given any trouble for it. of course now that winter has hit I can't OC :(

Mjolnir

imported post

Have OCed in Laramie, Jackson and Cheyenne without a problem & have seen law enforcement officers while open carrying in all three towns and as far as I know only one complaint about a man with a gun.

Of course when you dress nice, are clean shaven with short hair & do not look like a 1%er, a tattooed gang banger looking for trouble or some joe blow wearing a full blown police rig with street clothes the professional appearance thing comes into to play like it or not.

Many law enforcement officers judge you by how you look and what 1st appearances are is how they will treat you. This does not make it right by any means, but if ya want to be hassled while OCing look less than professional & chances are somebody will end up rousting you.