• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NFA FORM FOR FAIRFAX SHERIFF

rob99vmi04

imported post

anybody have or know where to obtain a copy of the little NFA form that fairfax requires for Purchasing a Class III, my dealer did not have an extra one.

The one that asks if you have a safe, where you live....etc....

rob99vmi04

imported post

Wrong Form.....

Fairfax uses their own form for processing.......

The form has Fairfax's letter head on it, and simply askes what type of safe you have, and why you want this. When I did my suppressors I had to fill this out that the CLEO kept. I'm not talking about ATF form 4

LEO 229

imported post

Really....

Sorry... The wayyou read what you asked for was not that clear and I never had to fill out a local form since it is not required by the ATF.

Please do scan and post when you get one.

Marco

imported post

smile_zipit.gif

hsmith

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I remember when Uzi's cost < $800.

for those that don't/didn't know MG's are a great investment if you don't believe me Forbes hadarticle about it yrs ago.
In short supply (some break and can't be repaired as well) and high demand.

You buy one, you will get your money back and then some in the long run.

Jealous of the thread starter i must say :D

LEO 229

imported post

Had I purchased my MP5 back in 2003 I would have only paid about $12,000 and before that.... much less.

In just 4 years the cost has gone up by $7,500

Prior to 2003... they were even cheaper!!! Back in 1985 they were less than $2,000

Thundar

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
Wrong Form.....

The form has Fairfax's letter head on it, and simply askes what type of safe you have, and why you want this. When I did my suppressors I had to fill this out that the CLEO kept. I'm not talking about ATF form 4

Let me guess. In the People's Republic of Fairfax the Chief of Police will not sign off unless you give him all the information that he wants.

The CLEO sign off is only for individuals. The machine gun is a good investment. Incorporate and the CLEO signature requirement goes away.

rob99vmi04

imported post

Thundar wrote:
rob99vmi04 wrote:
Wrong Form.....

Let me guess. In the People's Republic of Fairfax the Chief of Police will not sign off unless you give him all the information that he wants.

The CLEO sign off is only for individuals. The machine gun is a good investment. Incorporate and the CLEO signature requirement goes away.
Fairfax PD doesn't have any control over Class III, Its the CLEO which in Fairfax is the Sheriff.

The Sheriff in Fairfax is actually Very PRO-GUN and actually very pro-Machine gun and Suppressors. The only thing they want to know is if you have a safe. Reason is if you go the CLEO route and the gun is used in a crime the Sheriff can actually be held responsible.

I thought about going the trust route but I talked to a lawyer he said it had other implications (non) gun related that where not good.

LEO 229

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
Fairfax PD doesn't have any control over Class III, Its the CLEO which in Fairfax is the Sheriff.

The Sheriff in Fairfax is actually Very PRO-GUN and actually very pro-Machine gun and Suppressors. The only thing they want to know is if you have a safe. Reason is if you go the CLEO route and the gun is used in a crime the Sheriff can actually be held responsible.

I thought about going the trust route but I talked to a lawyer he said it had other implications (non) gun related that where not good.

I do not know of any instance or legal president that would hold the CLEO responsible for the illegal act of the purchaser.

The CLEO is doing nothing more than letting the ATF know that there is nothing in the applicants criminal history or local files that would preclude him from being responsible enough to own it.

The local Fairfax form regarding the question about a safe is another matter. I think it is just want they really want as most cops.. like myself.... want you to keep your guns secure and out of the hands of the bad people.

Knowing that a machine gun was out in the open while you were away could be bad for the community and police if it were stolen. When you pay so much for a machine gun... It only makes sense to keep that baby under lock and key.

A good safe will cost you $800 - $4,000 soif your willing to pay $5,500 for a gun why not get a safe while your at it. ;)

I have aFort Knox that cost $3,500 but it stores a $20,000 machine gun plus a ton of other guns and expensive jewelry. It gives me piece of mind while I am away during the day when burglars like to come calling.

LEO 229

imported post

Your dealer should also help you register your new machine gun with the state too. The state will notify the local department to advise they have a resident with a machine gun there. They then enter your address into a local file that lets the police know if they go to your address.

This is not used to track you or anything... just let the police know that if there is a burglar inside... he could have access to a machine gun.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_MachineGun.shtm

§18.2-295 of Code of Virginia, as amended, requires every machine gun in the Commonwealth to be registered with the Department of State Police within 24 hours after its acquisition. A Certificate of Registration, valid as long as the registrant remains the same, shall be issued upon receipt of a completed Machine Gun Registration Application (Form SP-115).

This form can be viewed, downloaded and/or printed by visiting the Virginia State Police Forms page.

Failure to keep or produce a Certificate of Registration for inspection by any peace officer, shall be a Class 3 misdemeanor.

rob99vmi04

imported post

No worries about the the safe. When I was working at Galyans RIP in the Gun department and they marked all the safes 80% off for the employees I picked up 5 AmSec and Browning Safes. The one I have in my apartment is a Amsec safe the size of my refrigerator with Mirrors in the back felt inside holds 36 long guns rated for a 1250 degrees for 45 IIRC and has about 8 bars. I paid a whopping $325 for the safe that was regularly 2K NIB due to a Corporate screw up by DICKS when they purchased Galyans.

I think I'm set on the safe :)

IIRC We had one employee buy 7 Kimbers and a S&W 500 and kept it under $3,500.

rob99vmi04

imported post

http://www.arizonagunlist.com/How_to_buy_NFA_class3_weapons_with_a_revocable_living_trust_without_a_CLEO_signoff.html

Regardless of what the BATFE forms state, CLEOs are under the assumption that they become responsible in some way for your actions should you do something wrong with the weapon you are trying to acquire. CLEOs don't want to suffer for your actions. Other CLEOs feel this is a political issue, and don't like the idea of civilians in their jurisdiction arming themselves with weapons they don't need. Some CLEOs don't mind signing off, but have a stringent background check that might disqualify you because of something as simple as a traffic or speeding ticket, even if your violation was 10 years ago!

From the website I said it wrong CLEOs are under the assumption that they can be responsible I went back and re-read my fault.

TEX1N

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I remember when Uzi's cost < $800.

for those that don't/didn't know MG's are a great investment if you don't believe me Forbes hadarticle about it yrs ago.
They're only a great investment if MG's are never let back onto the market. Personally I'd like to remain optimistic that maybe one day MG civilian production will be legal again.