• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To get or not to get my permit

New World Minuteman

imported post

I'm new here, so please don't crucify me yet.

I was wondering on whether it would be worth getting a permit to own + CCP, keeping in mind that the state police will have my information, and probably all of my school grades (public school NYC). It would make it infinitely easier for them to confiscate weapons when they have your information, in case the Supreme Court finds against individual ownership (even though it pertains to D.C. right now, remember the domino effect).

That's about the only reason I'm hesitant in obtaining my permits.

nrawling

imported post

I assume you'd be applying for a CT resident permit.

I don't see how your public school grades come into it. The police can ask for them, I suppose, but Permit Board has stated that they can't turn you down for failure to provide information not required on the state application.

As far as exposing yourself in the licensing database... My opinion is that once it gets to the point where the government is confiscating firearms, it doesn't really matter that much if you're on the list or not. I don't want to live there. I also believe that past instances of confiscation in this country have resulting in extreme political cost, and that is a sign that there is widespread belief among the citizenry that it's over the line.

I think society benefits from people who regularly carry, so I encourage everyone to get their permit, practice with their firearm, and carry whenever it is appropriate for them to do so. Personally, I try not to indulge in the paranoia and conspiracy theories that were attractive to me in my youth.

New World Minuteman

imported post

HankT wrote:
New World Minuteman wrote:

I was wondering on whether it would be worth getting a permit to own + CCP, keeping in mind that the state police will have my information, and probably all of my school grades (public school NYC). It would make it infinitely easier for them to confiscate weapons when they have your information, in case the Supreme Court finds against individual ownership (even though it pertains to D.C. right now, remember the domino effect).

School grades? C'mon...you're kidding, right?

Generally, it's much preferable to get a CCP if you're going to carry a gun--either CC or OC.

What is your age?
I was just throwing something out there how they might abuse their power.

I'm 22 and a resident of CT.

papasmee

imported post

new world minuteman - trust me, anyone with a computer and a few minutes can find out all about you right now. forget school grades - how about your credit scores and the last time you bought booze. it's all out there - so get used to it. and, in order for anyone to confiscate your weapons they would have to find them first.

on the other hand - whether or not you oc or cc, i think you are better off with the cc permit. that way ifyou are oc'ing and, by accident, temporarily conceal your weapon, and someone sees it, you [ hopefully] will not be charged for an illegal cc since you would be able to provide your cc permit.

ihave a cc permit and can switch quickly betweencc and oc depending upon where i am and where i am going.

lastly - i don't know if it is true but i would think that in an encounter with a leo for a minor situationthey would be more relaxed if they checked and knew that the person they were talking to had already been vetted by other agenies and was cleared by them to carry a weapon.

[ would be great if other posters had any thoughts or experience with this item ]

so, go get it and carry it

papasmee

[ former nutmegger, current arizonian ]

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I don't think it hurts to get your CCW, as long as you can tolerate the idea of carrying a weapon becoming a privilege instead of a right. Having said that, though, I plan on getting my CCW some day, maybe soon...:cool:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

New World Minuteman wrote:

Since Connecticut requires a permit to acquire a handgun as well as carry it in any manner (OC or concealed) outside your home, you might as well get your full permit to carry. I don't know about how residents are treated, but I obtained a nonresident carry permit with an average amount of paperwork. CT is may issue by statute but virtually shall issue in practice.If you have some misdemeanors in your past, you may have to explain them, but if you have a clean criminal record, you should have smooth sailing.

buketdude

imported post

haha..they are not gonna ask for your school grades...they might ask for some references though.....and you need a permit whether you want to open or conceal carry here in CT...you only don't need a permit to carry/have a handgun in your home and/or buisness.....there is no "Conceal Carry Permit" in CT...its just a "Permit To Carry".....i got mine in 3 weeks...

30 cal slut

imported post

well, i'm a little mystified at this post.

first off, if you ever plan to buy a long-gun over the counter in CT from a licensed dealer, fed.gov and state.gov will know you bought it.

fed.gov will know because you will have filled out an ATF Form 4473.

state.gov willknow because you will have filled out DPS-3-C.

both these forms will have your personal info. and then you have a 15-day wait for the long gun ... because you don't have your pistol permit.

the only way to stay under the radar screen is to buy a long gun from an individual. but more often than not, since that individual who is selling to you filed a DPS-3-C when he bought it, he will want you to fill it out so that he can get it out of his name.

and you can't legally purchasea handgun from ANYBODY without a valid pistol permit or purchase permit.

bottom line: we have registration of firearms just about everywhere in the state.

bite the bullet and get your pistol permit.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

30 cal slut wrote:
well, i'm a little mystified at this post.

first off, if you ever plan to buy a long-gun over the counter in CT from a licensed dealer, fed.gov and state.gov will know you bought it.

fed.gov will know because you will have filled out an ATF Form 4473.

state.gov willknow because you will have filled out DPS-3-C.

both these forms will have your personal info. and then you have a 15-day wait for the long gun ... because you don't have your pistol permit.

the only way to stay under the radar screen is to buy a long gun from an individual. but more often than not, since that individual who is selling to you filed a DPS-3-C when he bought it, he will want you to fill it out so that he can get it out of his name.

and you can't legally purchasea handgun from ANYBODY without a valid pistol permit or purchase permit.

bottom line: we have registration of firearms just about everywhere in the state.

bite the bullet and get your pistol permit.

Scott McNealy, interviewed:

Q: A couple of years ago you made some comments about privacy -- and the lack thereof -- that were widely printed. That was amazingly pre-Patriot Act and pre-9/11. Do you stick by that notion? Should we not be worried about having lost all our privacy?
A: I never said that, did I?
Q: You said, "You already have no privacy."
A: I said, "You have no privacy. Get over it."
Q: What did you mean by that?
A: The point I was making was someone already has your medical records. Someone has my dental records. Someone has my financial records. Someone knows just about everything about me.
Gang, do you want to refute my statement? Visa knows what you bought. You have no privacy. Get over it. That's what I said.

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

As a point of interest, federal FERPA laws (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) prevent the school from disclosing any student (Pre-K through College) records or information.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:

Gang, do you want to refute my statement? Visa knows what you bought. You have no privacy. Get over it. That's what I said.

Technically, Visa knows the dollar amount you spent -- they don't receive line item information. But in all seriousness, with those rules, the only way you can have privacy is if you live life as a hermit with no electricity and an organic garden in the backyard... in Texas on a peice of real property you own living as an United States national.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I would advise anyone, if they are of age, to get their permit. Even if OC is legal without a permit, I would advise for the permit.

If your shirt slides over your gun while you are walking accidentally, and by happen chance, a cop sees it, it is now concealed...

Also it just gives you more versatility. I don't plan 90 days in advance when I am going to carry concealed (about the time it takes to get a permit). If you have it, it can't hurt you, and if you don't ever use it well, maybe you "wasted" a bit of money. But versatility is not a bad thing -- go for it!

Hawkmoon

imported post

Let's be realistic. The only way you can legally purchase a handgun, of any kind, in the state of Connecticut is if you have either a carry permit or a "Certificate of Eligibility." Connecticut does NOT allow undocumented face-to-face sales. ALL sales of handguns (not sure about rifles) must have an approval from the Department of Public Safety.

You go through much the same process to get a Certificate of Eligibility as you do to get a carry permit. The difference is, with a Certificate you are only allowed to buy a gun and take it home. The Certificate does NOT allow you to take the gun off your own property, and for the most part probably doesn't even allow you to have it outdoors in your own yard. You may not legally transport even an unloaded handgun to a shooting range, even in your own town, without a carry permit.

Connecticut actually has one of the highest per capita ratios of handgun permits in the country. It's very unlikely that so many Connecticut residents are actually "packing" on a daily basis, but having the permit makes it much simpler to buy and transport even rifles and shotguns.

Unless you look forward to routinely breaking the law, getting the carry permit is the only prudent thing to do if you intend to own guns. What good is a gun you can't take to the range and practice with?

Hawkmoon

imported post

openryan wrote:
I would advise anyone, if they are of age, to get their permit. Even if OC is legal without a permit, I would advise for the permit.

If your shirt slides over your gun while you are walking accidentally, and by happen chance, a cop sees it, it is now concealed...

Also it just gives you more versatility. I don't plan 90 days in advance when I am going to carry concealed (about the time it takes to get a permit). If you have it, it can't hurt you, and if you don't ever use it well, maybe you "wasted" a bit of money. But versatility is not a bad thing -- go for it!
Since a number of respondents to this thread are not from Connecticut, I think it's important to keep in mind that Connecticut does not allow ANY carry of a handgun, or even transport of an unloaded handgun to a range, without a state permit to carry.

To repeat: In Connecticut, there is NO unlicensed carry. Period.

mavcat

imported post

buketdude wrote:
haha..they are not gonna ask for your school grades...they might ask for some references though.....and you need a permit whether you want to open or conceal carry here in CT...you only don't need a permit to carry/have a handgun in your home and/or buisness.....there is no "Conceal Carry Permit" in CT...its just a "Permit To Carry".....i got mine in 3 weeks...
i was under the impression you needed a CCW if you wanted to be a security guard? is your regualar state pistol permit("permit to carry") good for that now?

buketdude

imported post

There are different pistol permit "class codes"

0- Pistol Permit
1- Security Guard Firearms Permit
2- Bail Enforcement Agent Firearms Permit
3- Combination Security Guard/BEA Firearms Permit

buketdude

imported post

Greywolf wrote:
Let's be realistic. The only way you can legally purchase a handgun, of any kind, in the state of Connecticut is if you have either a carry permit or a "Certificate of Eligibility." Connecticut does NOT allow undocumented face-to-face sales. ALL sales of handguns (not sure about rifles) must have an approval from the Department of Public Safety.

You go through much the same process to get a Certificate of Eligibility as you do to get a carry permit. The difference is, with a Certificate you are only allowed to buy a gun and take it home. The Certificate does NOT allow you to take the gun off your own property, and for the most part probably doesn't even allow you to have it outdoors in your own yard. You may not legally transport even an unloaded handgun to a shooting range, even in your own town, without a carry permit.

Connecticut actually has one of the highest per capita ratios of handgun permits in the country. It's very unlikely that so many Connecticut residents are actually "packing" on a daily basis, but having the permit makes it much simpler to buy and transport even rifles and shotguns.

Unless you look forward to routinely breaking the law, getting the carry permit is the only prudent thing to do if you intend to own guns. What good is a gun you can't take to the range and practice with?
Private sales of LONG GUNS are fine...no paperwork is needed..this is from the state of CT website...of course they do recomend letting them know..haha

Sales of long arms between non-licensed dealers, commonly referred to as second hand sales, require no paperwork or notification.

The only restrictions are the seller may not sell to anyone under 18 years of age, or to anyone the seller knows is prohibited from possessing firearms.

mavcat

imported post

buketdude wrote:
There are different pistol permit "class codes"

0- Pistol Permit
1- Security Guard Firearms Permit
2- Bail Enforcement Agent Firearms Permit
3- Combination Security Guard/BEA Firearms Permit

Most everyone I know has a class 0...but i know a guy with a 1..and another guy with a 3........in terms of open-carrying though.....ANY of the permits is good for it....I have rarely seen anyone open carrying though..in Hebron i have..as well as Hartland, and in Windsor Locks I have too....

I have spoken with 2 state troopers as well as an East Hartford cop, not asking legal advice, but asking what they would do if they encountered a citizen open-carrying. All 3 of them said IF they had a permit, they would be fine unless they were on private property and the owner wanted them to leave....
just out of sheer curiosity, how do you even apply to become a class 1 or + ? does the company have to refer you and handle your paperwork and such?