• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc in jacksonville

southernbnb

imported post

so i bought my first pistol last week. it is a hi-point c-9. i also picked up a bulldog holster for it. i have done quite a bit of research on the topic of OCing in this state and decided to try it out today. i went and picked up a buddy and we headed over to wally world. for the first time ever in my experience with this particular chain of retailersi actually got asked if i could be helped with something! lol but when i said no thanks he said ok and walked away. my buddy says i got some strange looks when i was playing guitar hero in the electronics section but that may have had more to do with my horrible musical ability than my weapon. after i payed for my stuff we went to McDonald's for lunch and got a few strange looks from some construction workers but other than that the day went off with out a hitch. only time will tell if this will continue or if i encounter problems. regardless i will continue to OC. i would much rather explain my self than become a victim.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

That's a good line of thinking.

I too researched it throughly before I started OCing and even then I was hesitant. Now I've been doing it for something along the lines of a year or so. Even though I now have my Tx. CHL I still OC here. It will be something I won't be able to enjoy outside of my own property when I move back home to Texas.

When I started OCing I noticed that almost no one noticed the 2lb hunk of steel and plastic hanging off my belt. Most folks walk around in condition white oblivious to the world around them.

Are you a Marine or Sailor?

Welcome to the site. Maybe we'll run into eachother some time. If you are ever interested in shooting some USPSA matchs shoot me a PM. Our next match at B&R Guns will be on the weekend of Dec. 8th. If you decide to go make sure you have extra mags.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

December 8th, huh? I might just have gotten paid by then. I haven't been out there in forever ($'s a biotch lol).

Anyway welcome to the site! There are only a few of us out east on the website that carry, but thereARE a few of us! Hey, now that we have 3 active members out here, can we justify an open carry lunch? lol.

southernbnb

imported post

thanks for the warm welcome. yeah i agree that the majority of people walk around completly oblivious to what is going on around them. seeing the reactions is kinda amusing though! lol

i am not military although my dad and my uncle were marines and my grandfather was airforce. i currently work for the onslow county sheriffs dept. i am a jailor.

i am probably going to go find out what i need to do to apply for my ccw permit tomorrow since i have the day off. i really want one so if i want to attract less attention i can.

the idea of an open carry lunch sounds pretty cool. it might garner some unwanted attention but oh well!

i may try to make it out to the shooting match but i am working nights that weekend so no gaurantees. but you better believe if i show up, my pistol will be ridin high! where is b&r guns at exactly?

i am planning on purchasing a better holster and once i do i amgoing touse some large patches of velcro to attach my nylon holster to my dash. that way when i have a passenger with me it will still be visible.

see yall around town!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

If you're familiar with 9 mile, then it's real easy to get to. Just take 24 towards morehead, take a left on 9 mile road, and drive for a little bit. It's almost at the other end of the stretch, in Havelock. On your right, you can't miss it. You should be able to look up B & R in the phonebook or online and get their number.

Speaking from experience, you really don't get a lot of negative attention around here. A few people have had one or two bad runs, but other than that it's pretty good. I personally haven't had a single BAD encounter (save the woman at Sams Club, but I went in there knowing I might stir something up). As long as you're a nice, smart guy, and act like it, this is a really good area.

With all that being said I do have my CHP myself. Kinda irks me that I had to ask permission and pay for a right, but I choose my battles. :D It comes in handy when I have a need to conceal, but I almost always try to keep it out in the open.

Ok I'm done rambling now..lol

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

southernbnb wrote:
thanks for the warm welcome. yeah i agree that the majority of people walk around completly oblivious to what is going on around them. seeing the reactions is kinda amusing though! lol

i am not military although my dad and my uncle were marines and my grandfather was airforce. i currently work for the onslow county sheriffs dept. i am a jailor.

i am probably going to go find out what i need to do to apply for my ccw permit tomorrow since i have the day off. i really want one so if i want to attract less attention i can.

the idea of an open carry lunch sounds pretty cool. it might garner some unwanted attention but oh well!

i may try to make it out to the shooting match but i am working nights that weekend so no gaurantees. but you better believe if i show up, my pistol will be ridin high! where is b&r guns at exactly?

i am planning on purchasing a better holster and once i do i amgoing touse some large patches of velcro to attach my nylon holster to my dash. that way when i have a passenger with me it will still be visible.

see yall around town!
If you want to link up that day you can follow me up there. I try to be rolling past Lejeune at around 7am at the latest. That means I leave my house at around 645am. I live over on 111 past Dempsey's quick mart

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DreQo wrote:
If you're familiar with 9 mile, then it's real easy to get to. Just take 24 towards morehead, take a left on 9 mile road, and drive for a little bit. It's almost at the other end of the stretch, in Havelock. On your right, you can't miss it. You should be able to look up B & R in the phonebook or online and get their number.

WOW!!! Did that just bring back alot of memories. 9 mile road, interestingly enough, is about 12.1 miles long with all the turns and curves. Some buddies and me used to race our motorcycles along that road all the time when we were stationed at the pit.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
DreQo wrote:

WOW!!! Did that just bring back alot of memories. 9 mile road, interestingly enough, is about 12.1 miles long with all the turns and curves. Some buddies and me used to race our motorcycles along that road all the time when we were stationed at the pit.

Oh thats cute. A good friend of mine spent two weeks in the hospital and almost diedafter being thrown off of her bike on 9 mile because a bunch of assholes were trying to get her to race and cut her off. How about you keep the racing to the track, yeah? Sound like a good idea?

I just looove idiots on motorcycles :banghead:. Hey here's a question for ya, if some idiot screams by me going twice the speed limit, technically his putting me and anyone else on the road in grave danger, right? After all, cars and bikes alike have been considered deadly weapons. I say I fear for my life when some jerk speeds stupidly on his motorcycle, so I should just shoot his ass.

DK, you may have plenty of good things to add about open carry and self defense on this forum and I welcome you to do so, but don't EVER talk about speeding and racing on public roadways like it's anything but absolutely moronic. That crap gets people killed, period.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
DreQo wrote:

Oh thats cute. A good friend of mine spent two weeks in the hospital and almost diedafter being thrown off of her bike on 9 mile because a bunch of assholes were trying to get her to race and cut her off. How about you keep the racing to the track, yeah? Sound like a good idea?

I just looove idiots on motorcycles :banghead:. Hey here's a question for ya, if some idiot screams by me going twice the speed limit, technically his putting me and anyone else on the road in grave danger, right? After all, cars and bikes alike have been considered deadly weapons. I say I fear for my life when some jerk speeds stupidly on his motorcycle, so I should just shoot his ass.

DK, you may have plenty of good things to add about open carry and self defense on this forum and I welcome you to do so, but don't EVER talk about speeding and racing on public roadways like it's anything but absolutely moronic. That crap gets people killed, period.

Damn man. I don't like those guys any more than you but I've never considered killing them over what they do. Last I checked reckless driving and speeding didn't carry the death penalty as a punishment.

Everyday I ride my bike I have at least ONE cager pull his 4k lb death box out in front of me, or they cut me off. I just swallow and carry on. Nothing I can do about it and threating folks with deadly force wont' do anything but land me in jail.

I feel bad for your female friend but riding automaticlly carries with it more risk than the average person is exposed to. I'm not defending those guys on the bikes I wasn't there and I'm not sure exactly what happened. I'm pretty sure you wern't there either. She could have simply stopped her bike and let them ride away. There are usually ways out of a situation.

Do you have more of the story other than a bunch of "assholes" tried to prod her into a race? Did she try to run from them? Did she try to ride above her skill level?

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DreQo wrote:

Dre, I feel for your friend, truly I do, but my short little story is completely undeserving of the venom you just spewed. I never enticed or challenged anyone outside our group of 5 who raced and would never do so to anyone I knew. If we didn't feel that they were 'up to par' AND they weren't willing to do so without challenge, we didn't do it, period. I've seen the damage wrought by people who didn't know how to ride and would NEVER dare someone just because.

Now, just because MY small group raced along a stretch of country highway doesn't mean that YOU should be advocating that they be shot by someone they pass on said highway. Many people on a weekly basis do stupid things with guns as well and you will hardly EVER see me advocate that they be shot because of their actions I do not agree with.

The racing my buddies and I did NEVER put anyone in danger. I didn't do it then and I wouldn't do it now.

Let's try laying off judgement of others because of issues we have had bad experiences with deal with experiences that are relevant to our judgement, deal?

Fallguy

imported post

Wow DreQoremind me not to ever be on my bike around you. Although your car is MUCH more dangerous to me than my bike is to you. I have read many ofyour post and have respect for what you say, but this caught me totally off guard.

I am very sorry for your friend, but shooting bikers isn't going to help her.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Sorry, I over-reacted...just me being stupid. I rarely get truely pissed about things but thats one thing that sets me off. Anyway just to clarify quickly, she was riding trying to get home, and they were passing her, slowing down, waving and yelling at her, and at one point they came around a curve and the idiot was in the oncoming traffic lane when a car came around the corner. He cut back into the right lane straight in front of my friend and that sent her swerving and eventually eating pavement, rocks, and everything else.

I really do apologize for getting upset...and no, I don't think reckless drivers need to be shot....just feel like it sometimes, ya know? Yeaaah...sorry :?.

Fallguy

imported post

No hard feelings here. We all have things that can triger an, other-than-normal response from ourselves. I admit from what you've said...I would be and am uspet at those that caused your friend to wreck.

And over the course of my years I have "felt" many people "needed" shooting...so I know what you mean. :)

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

apology completely accepted. It's embarrasing to me, as a biker, that others who fail to take in to account those that surround them and don't moderate their actions accordingly. I hope your friend is well and that she didn't give up two wheeling.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

No, that stupid woman got right back on her bike (once they put her guts back in :D). She also rides horses....lol.