Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 110

Thread: Who carries cuffs?

  1. #1
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    I think handcuffs could come in handy in a variety of situations.

    Curious as to who here carries them.

    I picked up a pair of SW cuffs today.

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Troy, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    I too own a pair of S&W cuffs. I've been debating whether or not to carry them. I don't have a nice pouch yet (just a nylon one witha single belt loop), but if I was to get one, I might start carrying them.

  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    I bought the Model 100, pretty inexpensive, seem durable, double lock.

    I don't know if I would get a pouch for them. I will prolly keep them in my front pocket or in the glove box.

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    I think handcuffs could come in handy in a variety of situations.
    Such as?

    LoveMyCountry

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    I think handcuffs could come in handy in a variety of situations.
    Such as?

    LoveMyCountry
    Well...

    Say someone is trying to break into your home, rather than blowing them away, or trying to hold them at gun point... you could cuff them until the proper authorities arrive. Which would be a good alternative to blowing them away and dealing with the consequences of that.

    There are many hypotheical scenarios where they could be a good alternative to hold someone until police can arrive and handle the situation properly.


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Maryville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    407

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    I think handcuffs could come in handy in a variety of situations.
    Such as?

    LoveMyCountry
    Well...

    Say someone is trying to break into your home, rather than blowing them away, or trying to hold them at gun point... you could cuff them until the proper authorities arrive. Which would be a good alternative to blowing them away and dealing with the consequences of that.

    There are many hypotheical scenarios where they could be a good alternative to hold someone until police can arrive and handle the situation properly.
    I was going to ask why would you want to carry cuffs, but you already answered it for me. Its much better to have someone restrained than hold them at gunpoint.

  7. #7
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    massltca wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    I think handcuffs could come in handy in a variety of situations.
    Such as?

    LoveMyCountry
    Well...

    Say someone is trying to break into your home, rather than blowing them away, or trying to hold them at gun point... you could cuff them until the proper authorities arrive. Which would be a good alternative to blowing them away and dealing with the consequences of that.

    There are many hypotheical scenarios where they could be a good alternative to hold someone until police can arrive and handle the situation properly.
    I was going to ask why would you want to carry cuffs, but you already answered it for me. Its much better to have someone restrained than hold them at gunpoint.
    How easy is it to cuff a perp? How do you do it?



  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Redmond, Washington, USA
    Posts
    618

    Post imported post

    If anyone does decide to carry cuffs, be VERY careful with them! Although I believe they are completely legal to use in effecting a Citizen's Arrest, us lowlifes are not afforded the same protection that a LEO is. While you have them cuffed you are accepting complete responsibility for their welfare.

    You do not live beneath the umbrella of legal protection afforded to those serving in traditional law enforcement roles; therefore CIVIL LIABILITY should always be at the forefront of your minds, just behind safety!

    If ANYTHING happens to them while you have them cuffed, it will be you that will be responsible. And you can be sure some ACLU lawyer will be happy to provide them or their family with free legal counsel.

    They can be quite useful in the correct circumstances, just be very aware of the huge liability you will be taking on by utilizing them.

  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    I think handcuffs could come in handy in a variety of situations.
    Such as?

    LoveMyCountry
    Well...

    Say someone is trying to break into your home, rather than blowing them away, or trying to hold them at gun point... you could cuff them until the proper authorities arrive. Which would be a good alternative to blowing them away and dealing with the consequences of that.

    There are many hypotheical scenarios where they could be a good alternative to hold someone until police can arrive and handle the situation properly.
    Alright, I'll play - how would you do this? "Excuse me Mister Burgler, would be ever so kind as to put these on please?" Just how are you going to cuff someone without getting within striking distance? Remember, the badguys are already committing a serious crime and they will do ANYTHING to stay out of jail. You are not a cop and trying to be one in this situation could really mess up your day.

    LoveMyCountry

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    36

    Post imported post

    I'm going to say it's a bad idea. For one if you were in the situation that you thought you needed to put someone in cuffs, what do you do with your gun? If you holster it you just gave up your advantage over the bad guy. Most of the time police won't put someonein cuffs without back-up.

  11. #11
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    gregma wrote:
    If anyone does decide to carry cuffs, be VERY careful with them! Although I believe they are completely legal to use in effecting a Citizen's Arrest, us lowlifes are not afforded the same protection that a LEO is. While you have them cuffed you are accepting complete responsibility for their welfare.

    You do not live beneath the umbrella of legal protection afforded to those serving in traditional law enforcement roles; therefore CIVIL LIABILITY should always be at the forefront of your minds, just behind safety!

    If ANYTHING happens to them while you have them cuffed, it will be you that will be responsible. And you can be sure some ACLU lawyer will be happy to provide them or their family with free legal counsel.

    They can be quite useful in the correct circumstances...
    You raise some very good points, gregma. But in what circumstances would it be useful for a civilian to carry and use handcuffs?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    if you spot a burgler in your home, introduce yourself (hey, I live here what you want) in loud voice so you have set the verbal command and it can be heard if anyone listening. If no compliance, you can say stop, hold him firmly and lower him to the ground by various methods seen on www.youtube.com, once you cuff him call 911 and tell them you have a burgler detained. Dont search until they get there. Privacy issue can arise. Becareful

    ops

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    101

    Post imported post

    Besides carrying a cuff in general is akward. Only cop wanabees would such thing. More trouble can come in your way of you having those cuffs in your possession. I don't carry cuffs with me all the time, only when the time comes I do.

  14. #14
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    Opsgear wrote:
    if you spot a burgler in your home, introduce yourself (hey, I live here what you want) in loud voice so you have set the verbal command and it can be heard if anyone listening. If no compliance, you can say stop, hold him firmly and lower him to the ground by various methods seen on http://www.youtube.com, once you cuff him call 911 and tell them you have a burgler detained. Dont search until they get there. Privacy issue can arise. Becareful

    ops
    Go for it and let us know how it works. By the way, what's the weather like in that world you live in?

    LoveMyCountry

  15. #15
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    I think handcuffs could come in handy in a variety of situations.
    Such as?

    LoveMyCountry
    Well...

    Say someone is trying to break into your home, rather than blowing them away, or trying to hold them at gun point... you could cuff them until the proper authorities arrive. Which would be a good alternative to blowing them away and dealing with the consequences of that.

    There are many hypotheical scenarios where they could be a good alternative to hold someone until police can arrive and handle the situation properly.
    Alright, I'll play - how would you do this? "Excuse me Mister Burgler, would be ever so kind as to put these on please?" Just how are you going to cuff someone without getting within striking distance? Remember, the badguys are already committing a serious crime and they will do ANYTHING to stay out of jail. You are not a cop and trying to be one in this situation could really mess up your day.

    LoveMyCountry
    Who said anything about trying to be a cop?

    I'm saying that it would be beneficial in certain circumstance.

    Of course if not used properly, you could be subject to all sort of legal ramifications. And in some states, I don't even think you can legally use them, although I am not entirely sure on that, just going by what I had heard.

    Its not like I go out searching for crimes to thwart... I am saying if someone pursued me to make a victim of, it may come in handy to be able to detain them, if possible, then to hold them at gun point, or use lethal force.



  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Oregon, USA
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    I carry a pair in my car but I don't carry them on my person. I figure I might as well carry them at least close to my person. It doesn't cause any extra problems for me so why not?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    842

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    Opsgear wrote:
    if you spot a burgler in your home, introduce yourself (hey, I live here what you want) in loud voice so you have set the verbal command and it can be heard if anyone listening. If no compliance, you can say stop, hold him firmly and lower him to the ground by various methods seen on http://www.youtube.com, once you cuff him call 911 and tell them you have a burgler detained. Dont search until they get there. Privacy issue can arise. Becareful

    ops
    Go for it and let us know how it works. By the way, what's the weather like in that world you live in?

    LoveMyCountry
    :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate

  18. #18
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Fail to see the use for them. Can't cuff a guy and hold 'em at gunpoint at the same time, plus makes me look like a cop wannabe. It's just as easy for me to hold the guy at gunpoint and let the nice friendly 911 dispatcher know what I am doing and as soon as an office arrives I will be holstering my weapon and keeping my hands visible...

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    842

    Post imported post

    Tyoung wrote:
    I'm going to say it's a bad idea. For one if you were in the situation that you thought you needed to put someone in cuffs, what do you do with your gun? If you holster it you just gave up your advantage over the bad guy. Most of the time police won't put someonein cuffs without back-up.
    I strongly agree with this. I know that I would rather keep my distance from a perp if it meant avoiding the following (taken from opsgear's special swat website):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovPsCsvWefk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDUeNXn_Bjg

    Not to mention the legal ramification of putting someone in cuffs, because if you don't have complete authority to detain them, then you would most likely be guilty of kidnapping. Also, citizen arrest laws vary greatly from state to state, so it would be advisable to know your state laws very well before attempting to physically detain a suspect.

  20. #20
    Regular Member vermonter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    341

    Post imported post

    Are you going to get that close to the perp that you may be disarmed. Cops usually have one covering the suspect while the other cuffs. The ONLY safe option would be to throw them at the perp and shout "here, put these on"!

  21. #21
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    vermonter wrote:
    Are you going to get that close to the perp that you may be disarmed. Cops usually have one covering the suspect while the other cuffs. The ONLY safe option would be to throw them at the perp and shout "here, put these on"!
    Yes, in most cases it is only practical when you have two people.

    IC 35-33-1-4
    Any person
    Sec. 4. (a) Any person may arrest any other person if:
    (1) the other person committed a felony in his presence;
    (2) a felony has been committed and he has probable cause to believe that the other person has committed that felony; or
    (3) a misdemeanor involving a breach of peace is being committed in his presence and the arrest is necessary to prevent the continuance of the breach of peace.
    (b) A person making an arrest under this section shall, as soon as practical, notify a law enforcement officer and deliver custody of the person arrested to a law enforcement officer.
    (c) The law enforcement officer may process the arrested person as if the officer had arrested him. The officer who receives or processes a person arrested by another under this section is not liable for false arrest or false imprisonment.
    As added by Acts 1981, P.L.298, SEC.2. Amended by Acts 1982, P.L.204, SEC.7.



  22. #22
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    You will also find that it is legal under IC 35-41-3-2.

    Breach of peace encompases almost any criminal activity.

    As far as the legality I wouldn't be concernced.

    Like I said, was just wondering who carried them. Picked these up at the shop today, no intention to use them, but who knows if they come in handy some day.

  23. #23
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,441

    Post imported post

    .



  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Home of the Heros, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    418

    Post imported post

    TEX1N wrote:
    Tyoung wrote:
    I'm going to say it's a bad idea. For one if you were in the situation that you thought you needed to put someone in cuffs, what do you do with your gun? If you holster it you just gave up your advantage over the bad guy. Most of the time police won't put someonein cuffs without back-up.
    I strongly agree with this. I know that I would rather keep my distance from a perp if it meant avoiding the following (taken from opsgear's special swat website):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovPsCsvWefk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDUeNXn_Bjg

    Not to mention the legal ramification of putting someone in cuffs, because if you don't have complete authority to detain them, then you would most likely be guilty of kidnapping. Also, citizen arrest laws vary greatly from state to state, so it would be advisable to know your state laws very well before attempting to physically detain a suspect.
    I was told by a Navy Seal instructor that when he is a threat and your life is at stake, go on ahead subdue that person and try to avoid leathal force unless he/she uses it on you. So If anyone tries to tackle me, that person is on the ground for sure. I can show you guys guys some of the proven moves and talk about it. Wana have a chat at nearest cafe?

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Home of the Heros, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    418

    Post imported post

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaGlH...eature=related

    that officer took extra step and tried to be hero by himself which was unsafe and not necessary

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •