• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who carries cuffs?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

vermonter wrote:
Are you going to get that close to the perp that you may be disarmed. Cops usually have one covering the suspect while the other cuffs. The ONLY safe option would be to throw them at the perp and shout "here, put these on"!
Yes, in most cases it is only practical when you have two people.

IC 35-33-1-4
Any person
Sec. 4. (a) Any person may arrest any other person if:
(1) the other person committed a felony in his presence;
(2) a felony has been committed and he has probable cause to believe that the other person has committed that felony; or
(3) a misdemeanor involving a breach of peace is being committed in his presence and the arrest is necessary to prevent the continuance of the breach of peace.
(b) A person making an arrest under this section shall, as soon as practical, notify a law enforcement officer and deliver custody of the person arrested to a law enforcement officer.
(c) The law enforcement officer may process the arrested person as if the officer had arrested him. The officer who receives or processes a person arrested by another under this section is not liable for false arrest or false imprisonment.
As added by Acts 1981, P.L.298, SEC.2. Amended by Acts 1982, P.L.204, SEC.7.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

You will also find that it is legal under IC 35-41-3-2.

Breach of peace encompases almost any criminal activity.

As far as the legality I wouldn't be concernced.

Like I said, was just wondering who carried them. Picked these up at the shop today, no intention to use them, but who knows if they come in handy some day.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

popcorn.gif

swatpro911

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
Tyoung wrote:
I'm going to say it's a bad idea. For one if you were in the situation that you thought you needed to put someone in cuffs, what do you do with your gun? If you holster it you just gave up your advantage over the bad guy. Most of the time police won't put someonein cuffs without back-up.
I strongly agree with this. I know that I would rather keep my distance from a perp if it meant avoiding the following (taken from opsgear's special swat website):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovPsCsvWefk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDUeNXn_Bjg

Not to mention the legal ramification of putting someone in cuffs, because if you don't have complete authority to detain them, then you would most likely be guilty of kidnapping. Also, citizen arrest laws vary greatly from state to state, so it would be advisable to know your state laws very well before attempting to physically detain a suspect.
I was told by a Navy Seal instructor that when he is a threat and your life is at stake, go on ahead subdue that person and try to avoid leathal force unless he/she uses it on you. So If anyone tries to tackle me, that person is on the ground for sure. I can show you guys guys some of the proven moves and talk about it. Wana have a chat at nearest cafe?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I carry S&W dutty cuffs. What people need to realize is that you should NEVER cuff someone alone. You needa spotter just like when you're weight lifting.

An example here in Nevada when you are interviewing with to be an LEO, they ask a question that goes something like this:

You're a correctianal officer working night shift in a jail, you are alone and walk past a cell where the inmate is hanging by his belt. His face is purple. What do you do?

The correct anwser? You leave him there and call for backup. What if he is faking it? You help him down and he beats you to death and escapes.

Be careful

No harm
Know harm

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I keep a pair of cuffs in the bedroom :D. Never considered having them with me for any other purpose, though. Actually I take that back, I did end up cuffing a buddy to a chair one night to keep him from driving home drunk. Anyway it's already been said, but I'll reiterate, it's just stupid to try and cuff someone by yourself. I don't want to get that close to anyone that I've already felt the need to draw down on.

They do come in handy for practical jokes, though. Hey, anyone know a good cheap place to get flexi cuffs (the zip tie ones)? Thats what we used in Iraq. I ended up taking a few back home with me, but they got all used up working on my car and making halloween costumes :D.

unrequited

dangerousman

imported post

:monkeyOh yes, I have cuffs.... they're red-- and fuzzy....... they come in very very handy.

nickerj1

imported post

unrequited wrote:
TEX1N wrote:
Holy crap. That first video makes me hate my fellow man. I couldn't even count how many people passed by, and honestly I had to fastforward it because I didn't want to see anybody else walk or drive past anymore.

The second video has me wondering why he didn't pull his asp or just plainly shot the guy.

It was in Boston. Big surprise why it took so long. And even then the people didn't look like they wanted to help at all.

imperialism2024

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I keep a pair of cuffs in the bedroom :D. Never considered having them with me for any other purpose, though. Actually I take that back, I did end up cuffing a buddy to a chair one night to keep him from driving home drunk. Anyway it's already been said, but I'll reiterate, it's just stupid to try and cuff someone by yourself. I don't want to get that close to anyone that I've already felt the need to draw down on.

They do come in handy for practical jokes, though. Hey, anyone know a good cheap place to get flexi cuffs (the zip tie ones)? Thats what we used in Iraq. I ended up taking a few back home with me, but they got all used up working on my car and making halloween costumes :D.
I was going to make the bedroom comment. Bah.

PlastiCuffs seem most useful to carry. Can be used for many purposes. :cool:

Mainsail

imported post

Oh yeah, I want to get close to someone needlessly, expose myself to possible HIV or hepatitis, and risk having my gun taken and used against me, all so I can try to cuff someone without any training whatsoever. :banghead:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
...PlastiCuffs seem most useful to carry. Can be used for many purposes. :cool:
Thats what I was thinking. I don't think having handcuffs around for the sole purpose of detention is someone a civilian needs. That's just diving head first into the wanna-be cop realm. Flexi(plasti)Cuffs, on the other hand, might be a more logical thing to at least keep in the car or around the house. They can be used to tie all sorts of things down in a pinch, and could even (possibly) be used as an emergency tourniquet. On top of that, if you DO get into a situation where you need to cuff someone (keeping someone from driving drunk, keeping someone from hurting themselves or others, kinky sex games, etc.), they'll work like intended.

Heck, now that I think about it, there's threegood reasons to have handcuffs around right there!

FogRider

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Oh yeah, I want to get close to someone needlessly, expose myself to possible HIV or hepatitis, and risk having my gun taken and used against me, all so I can try to cuff someone without any training whatsoever. :banghead:
Great point. I've seen rats I would touch before some of the guys I walk past on Colfax. I realy have no desire to detain someone.

imperialism2024

imported post

DreQo wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
...PlastiCuffs seem most useful to carry. Can be used for many purposes. :cool:
Thats what I was thinking. I don't think having handcuffs around for the sole purpose of detention is someone a civilian needs. That's just diving head first into the wanna-be cop realm. Flexi(plasti)Cuffs, on the other hand, might be a more logical thing to at least keep in the car or around the house. They can be used to tie all sorts of things down in a pinch, and could even (possibly) be used as an emergency tourniquet. On top of that, if you DO get into a situation where you need to cuff someone (keeping someone from driving drunk, keeping someone from hurting themselves or others, kinky sex games, etc.), they'll work like intended.

Heck, now that I think about it, there's threegood reasons to have handcuffs around right there!
Not to mention that they would be a lot more convenient/comfortable to carry than stiff metal cuffs.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm in the "wouldn't carry them" camp with some good company.

I don't carry a gun with any thought in mind of trying to apprehend a criminal. If he wants to run away and no longer pose a threat to me or my loved ones great in most any circumstance. Even if I had to shoot a BG, I will shoot until the threat is eliminated meaning either he is disabled/deceased or he leaves the vicinity. Either way, I don't need to cuff him to keep him there. Once the immediate threat is eliminated, that is what the cops are for IMO. The very, very few instances I can begin to imagine that I would want to detain an uninjured BG, are once in a lifetime, if even that, scenarios and I'm not willing to mess with carrying cuffs throughout my life on the off chance one of those situations arise in my world.

If someone has a realistic scenario where cuffs would be applicable, I'm happy to listen and perhaps reevaluate my thinking on the matter.

ChinChin

imported post

Handcuffs rank right up there with a CCW badge. Just a piss-poor idea for non-LEOs to have on their tacticool batman utility belt.

Too many issues can result in going hands-on with some thug-e-bear or crack head disease piece of crap. Trust me, your firearm at 15 ft leveled at somebody will do a dandy job at restraining them. You don't need hooks and you don't need the complications that come withdividingyour attention between looking down your sights at a mugger and trying to "cuff 'em."

expvideo

imported post

I can't think of a useful purpose that cuffs would serve in the outside world, except to make me more vulnerable to what I have already determined is a dangerous criminal. However, I can definately see a good use for cuffs in the home. I can understand the possible need to restrain a burgler so you can call the police. Personally, I would never get that close to someone without having my fiancee cover me, and I wouldn't bring the gun near him, in case he overpowered me.

I also think that ziptie cuffs would work better for that kind of situation, because I'm not comfortable with handing a dangerous criminal a handful of metal, no matter what it is. I'm sure I'd rather have a set of S&W cuffs than nothing, but if given the choice I'd rather have the zip-tie ones. The S&Ws would be easier to carry in the outside world, but I wouldn't be carrying them anyway. Too much liability.