• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who carries cuffs?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Handcuffs rank right up there with a CCW badge. Just a piss-poor idea for non-LEOs to have on their tacticool batman utility belt.

Too many issues can result in going hands-on with some thug-e-bear or crack head disease piece of crap. Trust me, your firearm at 15 ft leveled at somebody will do a dandy job at restraining them. You don't need hooks and you don't need the complications that come withdividingyour attention between looking down your sights at a mugger and trying to "cuff 'em."

+ 1.0

Hmm, I wonder what LEO 229 thinks of the cuffs for civilians idea?

Anubis

imported post

Who carries cuffs? LEOs.

If I were ever to use my pistol it would be only to meet lethal force with lethal counterforce. Cuffs are not needed by me.

imperialism2024

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Handcuffs rank right up there with a CCW badge. Just a piss-poor idea for non-LEOs to have on their tacticool batman utility belt.

Too many issues can result in going hands-on with some thug-e-bear or crack head disease piece of crap. Trust me, your firearm at 15 ft leveled at somebody will do a dandy job at restraining them. You don't need hooks and you don't need the complications that come withdividingyour attention between looking down your sights at a mugger and trying to "cuff 'em."
Unfortunately, the "my gun's being pointed at him is enough of a deterrent to detain him" opinion doesn't mesh well with the (hopefully) few people who don't want to let someone "get away" with committing a crime. If the criminal turns and runs to escape, these people will have a problem not shooting said criminal, because the criminal shouldn't be allowed to get away. I believe these are the situations where some peopple envision having to use handcuffs, when they'd feel bad blowing away someone who is trying to escape, but can't let that person get away.

But yes, definately throw me in with the "carrying traditional handcuffs is a bad idea" crowd.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Unfortunately, the "my gun's being pointed at him is enough of a deterrent to detain him" opinion doesn't mesh well with the (hopefully) few people who don't want to let someone "get away" with committing a crime. If the criminal turns and runs to escape, these people will have a problem not shooting said criminal, because the criminal shouldn't be allowed to get away. I believe these are the situations where some peopple envision having to use handcuffs, when they'd feel bad blowing away someone who is trying to escape, but can't let that person get away.
Iwonder if Joe Horn had hadsome handcuffs whether his encounter would have gone differently...
nosmiley.gif

tarzan1888

imported post

openryan wrote:
I think handcuffs could come in handy in a variety of situations.

Curious as to who here carries them.

I picked up a pair of SW cuffs today.

Not being LEO or a wannabe I see not need.

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Iwonder if Joe Horn had hadsome handcuffs whether his encounter would have gone differently...
nosmiley.gif

HankT since you are so enamored with Joe Horn here is a link to allow you to read about him to your heart's content.

http://www.inform.com/Joe+Horn

Tarzan

imperialism2024

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Opsgear wrote:
I don't carry cuffs with me all the time, only when the time comes I do.

do you have a CRYSTAL BALL?

you can research or guess:(:cry: what happened to Boys2 Mens road manager and onesecurityofficer when theyattempted to apprehend two armed perps when they broke into their hotel room.
And they had them at gun point.

Criminals practice taking down LE when they try to cuff them, what do you think will happen to you.:idea:

to each his own but I don't carry or plan on using Handcuffs
It kind of relates to the argument of, "I only carry a gun when I think I'll need it." I'd also like to see that crystal ball...

tarzan1888

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Opsgear wrote:
I don't carry cuffs with me all the time, only when the time comes I do.

do you have a CRYSTAL BALL?

you can research or guess:(:cry: what happened to Boys2 Mens road manager and onesecurityofficer when theyattempted to apprehend two armed perps when they broke into their hotel room.
And they had them at gun point.

Criminals practice taking down LE when they try to cuff them, what do you think will happen to you.:idea:

to each his own but I don't carry or plan on using Handcuffs
It kind of relates to the argument of, "I only carry a gun when I think I'll need it." I'd also like to see that crystal ball...

If I really thought I would need to carry a gun some place, I wouldn't go there.

I can't believe it I actually agreed with imperialism2024. This is worse than agreeing with HankT

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Opsgear wrote:
Dont search until they [police] get there. Privacy issue can arise.
Anyone caught burglarizing my home has given up any claim to privacy!

As far as cuffs go, I'll side with those who think it's generally a bad idea to carry them. You would definitely want reliable backup there before attempting to cuff someone. If you think you could get the perp to comply and cuff himself/herself, fine-- But even then I would think twice about tossing to a perpsomething that could be used as a weapon.

Unless you received compentent training, any attempt at cuffing a conscious suspect is ill-advised. Hard-core criminals could very well have practiced avoiding getting cuffed far more than you have practiced cuffing hard-core criminals.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
It's possible to pick S&W cuffs with a ball-point pen (nevermind how I know this). Don't assume you're free and clear even if you do manage to cuff someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjyXER2BRJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw_zrhN_mOQ

-ljp
Thank you for you rinvestigative work, almost all cuffs can be picked. GOTCHA seems to be an exception, or at least they "claim". I would think that almost any restraint you put on someone could be broken, or escaped from, especially regular/duty handcuffs, and even more so, zip ties.

Most handcuffs have a universal key, unless you had a pair of high security handcuffs, which usually can still be jarred open, or shimmed.

expvideo

imported post

openryan wrote:
Legba wrote:
It's possible to pick S&W cuffs with a ball-point pen (nevermind how I know this). Don't assume you're free and clear even if you do manage to cuff someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjyXER2BRJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw_zrhN_mOQ

-ljp
Thank you for you rinvestigative work, almost all cuffs can be picked. GOTCHA seems to be an exception, or at least they "claim". I would think that almost any restraint you put on someone could be broken, or escaped from, especially regular/duty handcuffs, and even more so, zip ties.

Most handcuffs have a universal key, unless you had a pair of high security handcuffs, which usually can still be jarred open, or shimmed.
Actually, military style zip-cuffs aren't like the zip ties you might find at the automotive store. They are much thicker, and very difficult to escape without a cutting tool. Not to mention that they are extremely strong, and could not possibly be broken with human force alone.

tarzan1888

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
I can't believe it I actually agreed with imperialism2024. This is worse than agreeing with HankT

you can't agree with HT, he/she doesn't answer any question

I'm in the same boat, in spite of our differences we are the same, almost.:D

That is funny
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif

I know what you are saying about HankT. She makes statements or posts things to illicit responses, but you have no idea what she really thinks.

For her it is all about laying snares, traps, baited hooks or what ever to try and get an argument going.

I think I now have a new answer for all of HankT's questions;

"HankT why would you ask that when you already know the answer, and you have never answered a question anyone else has asked you?"

Tarzan

gregma

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Trust me, your firearm at 15 ft leveled at somebody will do a dandy job at restraining them. You don't need hooks and you don't need the complications that come withdividingyour attention between looking down your sights at a mugger and trying to "cuff 'em."
You're firearm at 15 ft leveled at someone ALSO might get you in trouble with the law. At least in WA state, you may ONLY use the amount of force necessary. Your firearm is considered deadly force. Using deadly force against someone who is not an immediate threat to you can be considered using excessive force. You can not use the threat of deadly force to restrain someone.

If they are a continued threat to your life, then you should be USING your firearm, not POINTING it.