• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

John Tyler community college?

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Anybody know the policies/laws regarding carry on JTCC? I've been to their website,and searched every knook and cranny of it,can't find an info. I have a CHP now,so I'd most likely be concealing,and always have my knives with me?

Thanks for any info/links.

I start classes back up Jan:)

TEX1N

imported post

See the JTCC Student Handbook:

http://www.jtcc.edu/downloads/current/student_handbook.pdf

Snip from page 12 (page 15 in the PDF):
Generally, College disciplinary action shall be limited to conduct which adversely affects the College community’s pursuit of its educational objectives. The following misconduct is subject to disciplinary action:

9. Possessing on College property or at any College activity any dangerous chemical, or explosive elements or component parts thereof, or rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver, or other firearm or weapon not used for lawful College studies without an authorization by the President of the College.
So it looks like you would need permission of the president if you want to abide by JTCC's policy.

Although their wording is slightly ambiguous. But I still think they could get you with administrative action.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TEX1N wrote:
See the JTCC Student Handbook:

http://www.jtcc.edu/downloads/current/student_handbook.pdf

Snip from page 12 (page 15 in the PDF):
Generally, College disciplinary action shall be limited to conduct which adversely affects the College community’s pursuit of its educational objectives. The following misconduct is subject to disciplinary action:

9. Possessing on College property or at any College activity any dangerous chemical, or explosive elements or component parts thereof, or rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver, or other firearm or weapon not used for lawful College studies without an authorization by the President of the College.
So it looks like you would need permission of the president if you want to abide by JTCC's policy.
Looks like he can't even keep it in his parked car there...

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Well that certainly SCREWS me. Leaving at home isn't always an option seeing as expensive as gas is,and I always have it with me.

Man I feel so voilated. I wonder if I could dawn an empty holster to all my classes. Ugh.

WTF am I to do:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
Well that certainly SCREWS me. Leaving at home isn't always an option seeing as expensive as gas is,and I always have it with me.

Man I feel so voilated. I wonder if I could dawn an empty holster to all my classes. Ugh.

WTF am I to do:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:...

Write to the President of the College and ask for permission.

Whaddya got to lose?

sitedzn

imported post

HankT wrote:
Ghettokracker71 wrote:

Whaddya got to lose?

He'd lose his ability to CC effectively if he so choses.If he asks, then tries to CC, someone may look harder at him trying to find it.

If you conceal well, no one will ever know anyway. And you haven't broken any laws, just policy. A good ankle holster goes a long way to no one ever knowing:D. Trust me, you can even carry a 45 w/ 11 rounds on your ankle w/o anyone knowing. And with your P3AT, just pocket the thing! If you'd like I can loan you one of my ankle holsters (it's for a PPK/Bersa but would probably work ok for your KelTec).

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

sitedzn wrote:
HankT wrote:
Ghettokracker71 wrote:

Whaddya got to lose?

He'd lose his ability to CC effectively if he so choses.If he asks, then tries to CC, someone may look harder at him trying to find it.

If you conceal well, no one will ever know anyway. And you haven't broken any laws, just policy. A good ankle holster goes a long way to no one ever knowing:D. Trust me, you can even carry a 45 w/ 11 rounds on your ankle w/o anyone knowing. And with your P3AT, just pocket the thing! If you'd like I can loan you one of my ankle holsters (it's for a PPK/Bersa but would probably work ok for your KelTec).

Oh, that gambit again. :uhoh:

Well, I think youmay be assuming that G71 is wanting to violate his school's rules. Seems to me you're playing a little fast and loose with his academic credentials...

Why not be upfront and just raise the issue clearly? Others have done it before. I think someone at VT or VCU did it. They didn'tdie or anything.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
HankT wrote:
Ghettokracker71 wrote:

Whaddya got to lose?

I have to agree here. I can't raise the issue without giving up who I am to the president. Chances are, I will get a "no" . Its interesting to note that after they solicited all these opinions about weapons on campus,nothing has changed in the policy:banghead:.

Unless I print/someone sees it,or someone knows me personally, they will not find the weapon. Either that or they randomly install metal detectors without warning and/or start wanding people w/o warning. (Wich case I could probable see the large line, say "oh shit I forgot my calculator" ,and dip to the car.)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
sitedzn wrote:
HankT wrote:
Ghettokracker71 wrote:

Whaddya got to lose?

I have to agree here. I can't raise the issue without giving up who I am to the president. Chances are, I will get a "no" . Its interesting to note that after they solicited all these opinions about weapons on campus,nothing has changed in the policy:banghead:.

Unless I print/someone sees it,or someone knows me personally, they will not find the weapon. Either that or they randomly install metal detectors without warning and/or start wanding people w/o warning. (Wich case I could probable see the large line, say "oh shit I forgot my calculator" ,and dip to the car.)
Assuming theprobability of getting caught is non-zero, what are the consequences of getting caught?

Ghettokracker71

imported post

HankT wrote:
Ghettokracker71 wrote:
sitedzn wrote:
HankT wrote:
Ghettokracker71 wrote:

Whaddya got to lose?

Assuming theprobability of getting caught is non-zero, what are the consequences of getting caught?
Well, if your doing something wrong there is ALWAYS at least some probability. I cannot possibly KNOWINGLY break school policy, only to assume I'll never ever get caught.

Ugh,now I am wondering if I should have posted anything about it at all on a public forum.

I sincerely feel backed into a cornor here. Becoming a victem,wasting major time and money to bring the firearm to my house before any/alll classes,...

TEX1N

imported post

HankT wrote:
They could probably expel you if they wanted to. Although I have not yet found a case in VA where a student was expelled solely for breaking a school's weapon policy. The school's usually like to sweep it under the rug and try to make the situation go away.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TEX1N wrote:
HankT wrote:
They could probably expel you if they wanted to. Although I have not yet found a case in VA where a student was expelled solely for breaking a school's weapon policy. The school's usually like to sweep it under the rug and try to make the situation go away.

Do VA schools just say "don't do it again and you'll be OK" as their punishment?

If so, and if JTCC is the same/similar to the VA schools, then the riskof CC might be manageable for a guy who wanted to take a stand...

Unless, there is some other law code that would prohibit it...

But, I have to get back to my original suggestion: Why not try to get authorization to CC from the President? Make the case and do it through channels.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

HankT wrote:
TEX1N wrote:
HankT wrote:

Do VA schools just say "don't do it again and you'll be OK" as their punishment?

If so, and if JTCC is the same/similar to the VA schools, then the riskof CC might be manageable for a guy who wanted to take a stand...

Unless, there is some other law code that would prohibit it...

But, I have to get back to my original suggestion: Why not try to get authorization to CC from the President? Make the case and do it through channels.
channels?