Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you carrying a paperweight?

Post imported post

Holy Cow. I went to shoot my gun last weekend and it won't strike the primer. The gun will not fire no matter what I do. Its going back to the factory. Who knows how long I've been carrying the thing without it working. I last shot it about 3 months ago. I wonder how long I've been carrying a non-functioning firearm?

State Researcher

Post imported post

combatcarry wrote:
    Holy Cow. I went to shoot my gun last weekend and it won't strike the primer. The gun will not fire no matter what I do. Its going back to the factory. Who knows how long I've been carrying the thing without it working. I last shot it about 3 months ago. I wonder how long I've been carrying a non-functioning firearm?
    Uh-oh.

Post imported post

Test your gun with snapcaps? Use a bit of permanent marker on the pin and see if it marks your snapcap.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

After suggesting it, I had to break down, clean, and test my carry. Thanks for the paranoia... > )
    -Unrequited

State Researcher

Post imported post

combatcarry wrote:
    Care to share more details?...why won't it "strike"?....what brand/type of paperweight....errr gun? With a bit more info, I may be able to tell you a thing or two to look at and maybe get it going again.

Post imported post

Its a Keltec P3AT. When I remove the slide and push on the back of the firing pin with a nail nothing protrudes out the front side. Since this gun doesn't have any kind of firing pin safety something has to be wrong.

I've used Keltec customer service once before and they are excellent. I called them and they told me to send it in and they will fix it.

Post imported post

combatcarry wrote:
    Its a Keltec P3AT.
    Ahhhhhhhhh.......

That answers a lot of my questions.

Post imported post

I think Keltec's are fine as a backup gun, but if you are relying on one as a primary... you should re-think your choice. I know some folks on OCDO have had glowing things to say about KT but I've also heard many horror stories about them breaking in some way or another... much like yours.

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    Test your gun with snapcaps? Use a bit of permanent marker on the pin and see if it marks your snapcap.
    everytime you clean, take apart or change parts

1+
    i couldn't use a black sharpy, i use white out.

:?
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

:what::what:SCARY SCARY SCARY :what::what:

Once a paycheck I (usually but not quite always) go and fire off a mag or 2. I claim it is for safety and performance (remember the forum about theshrinking bullets) but really it is because I want to get out and shoot. The ban this summer put me a few months behind in my testing so I have to make up for it .

Post imported post

I just stick aball point pen(backwards) in the (empty) barrel, point it at the sky and pull the trigger. If thepen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    If thepen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.
    striker fired guns won't eject them that far

snap caps work just fine
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Your guncoudn't bea paperweight. This iswhat a paperweight looks like: http://www.security-wizard.net/blbrknpa.html

Post imported post

combatcarry wrote:
    I'm glad you found out this way, not in a self-defense situation!

Post imported post

I like the pen idea. Iwill put a new pen in and hold ittoo see if it strikes a dimple the back.

Thanks!

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    striker fired guns won't eject them that far
    Really? You might want to check your spring then. My G39 fires the pen further than my hammer fired weapons.

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    I just stick aball point pen (backwards) in the (empty) barrel, point it at the sky and pull the trigger. If thepen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.

Well, I use a pencil since it's got that nice eraser on the end like a snap cap. However, I have a 1911 that will launch a pencil across the room but won't hit a primer.

Post imported post

I tried the pen trick... no matter what I do I can't get the firing pin to strike. I just overnighted it to Florida... I'll see if Keltec's service is as good as they say.

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    I just stick a¬*ball point pen¬*(backwards) in the (empty) barrel, point it at the sky and pull the trigger. If the¬*pen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.
    That's a fantastic new trick. Imma do that instead. BTW, XD's launch pens HIGH. I was expecting a couple inches or clear the barrel at the least.

zoom6zoom wrote:
    Well, I use a pencil since it's got that nice eraser on the end like a snap cap. However, I have a 1911 that will launch a pencil across the room but won't hit a primer.
    ?
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

XD = another striker fired weapon.

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    unrequited wrote:
    everytime you clean, take apart or change parts

1+¬*
    i couldn't use a black sharpy, i use white out.

Every time you clean? So are you supposed to clean you gun?

Post imported post

Rosie wrote:

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    I just stick aball point pen (backwards) in the (empty) barrel, point it at the sky and pull the trigger. If thepen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.
    Thanks a lotnakedshoplifter ! Now I have little blue dots all over my ceiling! :P

BTW, some people would say that I carry a paperweight. You know, Glock = Block...
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

I shoot my carry gun twice a month...

combatcarry wrote:

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

This site is super informative.... I never knew this. Thanx guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast