• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you carrying a paperweight?

combatcarry

imported post

Holy Cow. I went to shoot my gun last weekend and it won't strike the primer. The gun will not fire no matter what I do. Its going back to the factory. Who knows how long I've been carrying the thing without it working. I last shot it about 3 months ago. I wonder how long I've been carrying a non-functioning firearm?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

combatcarry wrote:
Holy Cow. I went to shoot my gun last weekend and it won't strike the primer. The gun will not fire no matter what I do. Its going back to the factory. Who knows how long I've been carrying the thing without it working. I last shot it about 3 months ago. I wonder how long I've been carrying a non-functioning firearm?
Uh-oh. :uhoh::uhoh:

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

combatcarry wrote:
Care to share more details?...why won't it "strike"?....what brand/type of paperweight....errr gun? With a bit more info, I may be able to tell you a thing or two to look at and maybe get it going again.

combatcarry

imported post

Its a Keltec P3AT. When I remove the slide and push on the back of the firing pin with a nail nothing protrudes out the front side. Since this gun doesn't have any kind of firing pin safety something has to be wrong.

I've used Keltec customer service once before and they are excellent. I called them and they told me to send it in and they will fix it.

IanB

imported post

I think Keltec's are fine as a backup gun, but if you are relying on one as a primary... you should re-think your choice. I know some folks on OCDO have had glowing things to say about KT but I've also heard many horror stories about them breaking in some way or another... much like yours.

Marco

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Test your gun with snapcaps? Use a bit of permanent marker on the pin and see if it marks your snapcap.
everytime you clean, take apart or change parts

1+
i couldn't use a black sharpy, i use white out.

:?

xmirage2kx

imported post

:what::what:SCARY SCARY SCARY :what::what:

Once a paycheck I (usually but not quite always) go and fire off a mag or 2. I claim it is for safety and performance (remember the forum about theshrinking bullets) but really it is because I want to get out and shoot. The ban this summer put me a few months behind in my testing so I have to make up for it :lol:.

IanB

imported post

I just stick aball point pen(backwards) in the (empty) barrel, point it at the sky and pull the trigger. If thepen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.

round_stic_300dpi2.jpg

dng

State Researcher
imported post

combatcarry wrote:
I'm glad you found out this way, not in a self-defense situation!

combatcarry

imported post

I like the pen idea. Iwill put a new pen in and hold ittoo see if it strikes a dimple the back.

Thanks!

IanB

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
striker fired guns won't eject them that far

Really? You might want to check your spring then. My G39 fires the pen further than my hammer fired weapons.

zoom6zoom

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I just stick aball point pen (backwards) in the (empty) barrel, point it at the sky and pull the trigger. If thepen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.

round_stic_300dpi2.jpg
Well, I use a pencil since it's got that nice eraser on the end like a snap cap. However, I have a 1911 that will launch a pencil across the room but won't hit a primer.

combatcarry

imported post

I tried the pen trick... no matter what I do I can't get the firing pin to strike. I just overnighted it to Florida... I'll see if Keltec's service is as good as they say.

unrequited

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I just stick a ball point pen (backwards) in the (empty) barrel, point it at the sky and pull the trigger. If the pen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.
That's a fantastic new trick. Imma do that instead. BTW, XD's launch pens HIGH. I was expecting a couple inches or clear the barrel at the least.

zoom6zoom wrote:
Well, I use a pencil since it's got that nice eraser on the end like a snap cap. However, I have a 1911 that will launch a pencil across the room but won't hit a primer.
?