• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you carrying a paperweight?

Rosie

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
unrequited wrote:
Test your gun with snapcaps? Use a bit of permanent marker on the pin and see if it marks your snapcap.
everytime you clean, take apart or change parts

1+ 
i couldn't use a black sharpy, i use white out.

:?

Every time you clean? So are you supposed to clean you gun? :lol:

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I just stick aball point pen (backwards) in the (empty) barrel, point it at the sky and pull the trigger. If thepen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.
Thanks a lotnakedshoplifter ! :cuss: Now I have little blue dots all over my ceiling! :p

BTW, some people would say that I carry a paperweight. You know, Glock = Block...

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I shoot my carry gun twice a month...

combatcarry wrote:
Holy Cow. I went to shoot my gun last weekend and it won't strike the primer. The gun will not fire no matter what I do. Its going back to the factory. Who knows how long I've been carrying the thing without it working. I last shot it about 3 months ago. I wonder how long I've been carrying a non-functioning firearm?

Bear-n-arms nGA

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I just stick aball point pen (backwards) in the (empty) barrel, point it at the sky and pull the trigger. If thepen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.

round_stic_300dpi2.jpg
This site is super informative.... I never knew this. Thanx guys:D

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

round_stic_300dpi2.jpg

I learned this trick years ago when I got my first pistol with a decocking lever. It scared the crap out of me to see the hammer drop when I decocked it, and I was afraid to use it with a round in the chamber until I'd tested it with a ballpoint pen. Emptied the gun, put the pen in the barrel and pull the trigger at the ceiling and it LAUNCHED it. Empty gun, pen in barrel and drop the decocking lever and the pen stayed put.

Nice trick to put your mind at ease about whether or not your gun is working properly.

KBCraig

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
I have a 1911 that will launch a pencil across the room but won't hit a primer.
Protrusion is as important as striking energy. Doesn't matter how hard the FP hits, if it doesn't protrude enough to ignite the primer.

BluesBear

imported post

ANY handgun that won't launch a pencil (with a new eraser) at least three feet straight up has a problem. It is unreliable, unsafe and needs to be repaired.

If you have a 1911 pattern pistol that will launch a pencil but the firing pin doesn't protrude far enough to detonate a properly seated primer then you also have a faulty gun. If the cartridge is in proper position against the breechface then you have either a broken firing pin tip of it's badly out of spec. Either way it's a five minute fix.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Have you been dry-firing the little Kel-tec since you last fired it at the range? Keltecs are one brand of pistols that should NEVER be dry-fired. The striker just isn't designed for it.

Springfield45

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
If thepen hits the ceiling I'm good to go.

striker fired guns won't eject them that far

snap caps work just fine
Striker Fired guns will eject a ballpoint pen to the ceiling .. My XD and the G20 does it once a week ....:D

Here I thought I was the only one who "shot" pens out of my .45 :celebrate

Tomahawk

imported post

Does a ballpoint pen provide enough back pressure to prevent damage form dry-firing? I dilike dry firing without a snap-cap, even for guns that can take it.

Of course, if you do the pen launch trick often and you notice that the pen doesn't seat as far as usual, I would advise NOT pulling the trigger.;)

Speaking of paperweights, I was carrying my NAA minirevolver today and when I took it out of my pocket to get in my car I noticed it was empty!:shock:

I then remembered that I had unloaded it to drive through Maryland on my way back from Philly last weekend, and at 3 in the morning when I got home I didn't bother loading it before hitting the rack. Because it's so small and light, you have to consciously look at it when you pick it up to see daylight through the cylinder.

So, to avoid personal responsibility, I blame my unloaded paperweight on the antis in Maryland.:banghead:

BluesBear

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Does a ballpoint pen provide enough back pressure to prevent damage form dry-firing?

NO

But remember this is not something we'retalking about doingevery day or doing it 100 times in a row. There are very few guns that could not withstand the odd occasional dry firing. I mean what if you had a failure to feed and dropped the hammer/striker on an enpty chamber? Any gun that would break from this is NOT sturdy enough for ME to bet my life on.

Each and every singleone of my Colt/S&W/Ruger/Taurus/Walther/HiStandard/H&R/TC/NAA handguns have been dryfired thousands of times. The only guns I have ever broken a firing pin on from dryfiring was a brand new Third Generation Colt SAA that broke on the THIRD dryfire. The firing pin was out of spec and the replacement hammer from Colt survived 10 years of dry firing.

However if you are still worried get some empty, primed cases and use them. If the primer goes POP then you're good to go. But better still... get up off your lazy ass and get to the range and PRACTICE. If you haven't shot your carry gun in at least three months then you have no business carrying it.

PracticeSafe

Practice Hard

Practice Often

Practice Wisely

worrbaron

imported post

I just tried this and it punched a nice hole in the back of the pen, I can see the small plastic piece inside the tranparent tube of the pen...lol

combatcarry

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Have you been dry-firing the little Kel-tec since you last fired it at the range? Keltecs are one brand of pistols that should NEVER be dry-fired. The striker just isn't designed for it.
I've had the gun about 3 years. I've dry fired it maybe 10 times. Maybe once since I last shot it.

BTW... KelTec is acting like they will fix it, but they said it will be 6-8 weeks before they can look at it. Plus, time off for the holidays.