• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sufolk 4 year old brings pellet gun to school

Thundar

imported post

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=137771&ran=5175

4-year-old brings pellet gun to Suffolk elementary school class=verdanasmallBy DAVE FORSTER, The Virginian-Pilot
© November 28, 2007 | Last updated 11:55 AM Nov. 28

SUFFOLK – A 4-year-old boy brought a pellet gun to his elementary school Tuesday and was found trying to bury it on the playground, school and police officials said.
An assistant principal at Booker T. Washington Elementary took the gun from the boy when another student saw it and reported it to a teacher, according to a letter to parents about the incident.

The boy did not threaten anybody with the gun, said Lt. D.J. George, a police spokeswoman. He brought it from home, where somebody had left it out, George said.

The police do not plan to charge anybody in the incident, George said.
The act violated School Board policy, however, so the student was recommended for "appropriate administrative action," according to the letter to parents.
School policy says that any student under 10 who violates the weapons policy is recommended for an administrative hearing on the first offense. Students are recommended for expulsion upon a second confirmed offense, according to the policy.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

How does a four year old have a pellet gun? The parents must have been very careless. The only gun a four year old needs is a toy gun. (And teach him how to unload it, gun safety, check to make sure it's unloaded, clean it, and how to properly OC in a holstered gunbefore you turn him loose.):p

Neplusultra

imported post

openryan wrote:
Parents fault...

Secondly, does anyone else find it funny that he was trying to bury it...
Hey Ryan, who's the chick in the wonder woman outfit :^)? You know I tell people I don't go on the Tech Campus anymore because it's too painful. Which I've been saying for a long time. Since the shooting they assume I'm talking about that. But I say, "No, that has nothing to do with it". Which leaves them perplexed. I must say though, it's always painful for me to go on campus. Oh man, is it painful. Sorrowful too.

You understand what I'm saying don't you?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
openryan wrote:
Parents fault...

Hey Ryan, who's the chick in the wonder woman outfit :^)? You know I tell people I don't go on the Tech Campus anymore because it's too painful. Which I've been saying for a long time. Since the shooting they assume I'm talking about that. But I say, "No, that has nothing to do with it". Which leaves them perplexed. I must say though, it's always painful for me to go on campus. Oh man, is it painful. Sorrowful too.

No, not really... help me?

Neplusultra

imported post

openryan wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
openryan wrote:
Parents fault...

No, not really... help me?
It's too painful to go on campus because of all the beautiful coeds so I avoid it now :^).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
SUFFOLK – A 4-year-old boy brought a pellet gun to his elementary school
4 year old boy in elementary school? What grade was he in.... pre-pre-kindergarten?
At least zero tolerance didn't kick in full full force. Was it loaded? Was he planning a mass plinking after nap time? Would the penalty have been as harsh if it hadn't been an assult style (black) pellet gun? I know, I'm not very PC - we must consider the children.
:banghead:
Yata hey

MarinesWife

imported post

openryan wrote:
Parents fault...

I think the fact that he was burying it was cute but on a serious note .. parents are at fault. Even if they had got it for him, they shouldn't have left it lying around.

Adult supervision is always needed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MarinesWife wrote:
openryan wrote:
Parents fault...

I think the fact that he was burying it was cute but on a serious note .. parents are at fault. Even if they had got it for him, they shouldn't have left it lying around.

Adult supervision is always needed.
Are you telling me that you don't believe in having weapons and ammunition buried in safe but convenient locations?
:D Yata hey

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

You know, going back and reading through this, how did the kid get the pellet gun all the way to the playground...

The elementary school I went to, and many others around here, you had to physically enter the school, and could only access the play ground through the school, or else you would have to climb the fence to get it.

Furthermore, I don't think most pellet guns would be concealable on a 4 year old, certainly not a pocket, maybe a backpack, but who takes a backpack to recess.

It also goes to show the awareness of the teacher. Had this been a real gun, people could have been seriously hurt.

Neplusultra

imported post

openryan wrote:
You know, going back and reading through this, how did the kid get the pellet gun all the way to the playground...

The elementary school I went to, and many others around here, you had to physically enter the school, and could only access the play ground through the school, or else you would have to climb the fence to get it.

Furthermore, I don't think most pellet guns would be concealable on a 4 year old, certainly not a pocket, maybe a backpack, but who takes a backpack to recess.

It also goes to show the awareness of the teacher. Had this been a real gun, people could have been seriously hurt.
Must have been a pistol.

AbNo

imported post

dngreer wrote:
How does a four year old have a pellet gun?  The parents must have been very careless.  The only gun a four year old needs is a toy gun.  (And teach him how to unload it, gun safety, check to make sure it's unloaded, clean it, and how to properly OC in a holstered gun before you turn him loose.):p

Pfft. A pellet gun IS a toy, as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Thundar wrote:
SUFFOLK – A 4-year-old boy brought a pellet gun to his elementary school
4 year old boy in elementary school?  What grade was he in.... pre-pre-kindergarten?

I was in kindergarten at 4... I tested into second grade, but the school said I was way too young to start there.

Anyway, yeah. Very good that Zero Tolerance (also known as Zero Sense) didn't kick in. With him trying to bury it, is it possible that he had heard from one of his teachers how dangerous guns were, and thought he was disposing of the "dangerous" thing he found lying around his house?