• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eastern WA OC anyone?

Trevor

imported post

Howdy, I am new to the forum and recently became interested in OC. I realize the bulk of people on here are form the west side of the mountains and also that it is not as problematic to OC in much of Eastern WA, but has anyone had any experiences in Eastern WA that may be helpful? I live in a small community with no police department (carrying at home is no prob) near Walla Walla and recently corresponded with the Walla Walla Police Department regarding it as I have to travel there for any and all business. They seemed fairly receptive but also hinted they would prefer I didn't. Thanks for any input.

Here is the response from the Walla Walla PD, I thought it was pretty favorable.

Good morning, Trevor. Your question concerning open carry of firearms has been referred to me.

You are correct that, under
Washington State law, it is lawful for a person to carry a firearm in open view, without a permit. However, they must be legally able to possess firearms (no prohibiting convictions, appropriate age, etc) and the firearm must not be “concealed”. There are also statutory prohibitions on carrying firearms in certain places (schools, courthouses, etc).

With that said it is important to understand that the intent of this law was to allow people to carry their firearms in plain view and in a reasonable manner (holstered). In today’s society, if you walk down the street with a gun in plain view in your hand, you will likely generate several calls to law enforcement and get some prompt contact with some uniforms trying to figure out what may be wrong with you.

Officers do understand the plain view carry laws, but it is important to understand that most ordinary citizens do not, and often react with fear to anyone with a gun in plain sight.

If you wish to do so, this law can be reviewed by doing a google search on REVISED CODE OF WASHINGTON 9.41.050 and 9.41.060.

9.41.050 is the statute concerning carrying firearms, and 9.41.060 discusses exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me directly or e-mail me.

Steven R. Ruley
Technical Services Supervisor
Walla Walla Police Department
15 N. Third Avenue
Walla Walla, WA 99362

gregma

imported post

Trevor wrote:
Howdy, I am new to the forum and recently became interested in OC. I realize the bulk of people on here are form the west side of the mountains and also that it is not as problematic to OC in much of Eastern WA, but has anyone had any experiences in Eastern WA that may be helpful?
We do have some eastern WA members here, I'm sure they'll chime in :)

The response you got looks really good! I wish we could get something like that on this side of the mountains :) One real curiosity was:

In today’s society, if you walk down the street with a gun in plain view in your hand, you will likely generate several calls to law enforcement and get some prompt contact with some uniforms trying to figure out what may be wrong with you.
The low-key reaction to this actually surprised me. If you had your firearm in your HAND, that would be a definate violation of RCW 9.41.270...The dreaded "warrants alarm" law. However, he doesn't even mention that. Only that you will be contacted. I like the positive attitude from them for sure!

Ohhh, and welcome to OpenCarrying!

G27

imported post

Hello Trevor! I've open carried in Pullman, Spokane, and pretty much everywhere that is on 26 going to Pullman. I've never had any contact with police, nor did anyone seemed alarm. To be honest, I'd say a good 90% of people are so oblivious they don't even notice.

Mainsail

imported post

gregma wrote:
In today’s society, if you walk down the street with a gun in plain view in your hand, you will likely generate several calls to law enforcement and get some prompt contact with some uniforms trying to figure out what may be wrong with you.
The low-key reaction to this actually surprised me. If you had your firearm in your HAND, that would be a definate violation of RCW 9.41.270...The dreaded "warrants alarm" law. However, he doesn't even mention that. Only that you will be contacted. I like the positive attitude from them for sure!

Not necessarily. Remember, it’s “…in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place…”.

In your hand does not automatically mean you are violating the statute, but certainly gets you much closer. If the closest I was able to find parking on my street was two blocks away, I would be openly carrying my rifle or shotgun lawfully down my street.

gregma

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
gregma wrote:

Not necessarily. Remember, it’s “…in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place…”.

In your hand does not automatically mean you are violating the statute, but certainly gets you much closer. If the closest I was able to find parking on my street was two blocks away, I would be openly carrying my rifle or shotgun lawfully down my street.
You know, I wasn't even thinking other than a handgun. Of course walking with a rifle or shotgun "out of a holster" could be quite acceptable. Great point!

Trevor

imported post

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear things have been pretty uneventful on this side of the mountains. Oddly enough I had to carry a shotgun a few blocks through Walla Walla once that I bought at a pawnshop, I got quite a few funny looks but that was it.

amlevin

imported post

One must rember that Walla Walla is on the RIGHT side of the state, not on the LEFTist side.

The letter is probably the best reply from a PD regarding an OC inquiry I have read to date. No BS, just facts. Real Facts.

Dave The Welder

imported post

Welcome aboard Trevor! There's a few of us over on this side of the mountains. I'm currently at WSU in Pullman, and I know of several people who OC in Tri-Cities. We've had several OC lunches in Tri-Cities, but haven't yet got one going in Spokane. Anytime you want to hook up with a few of us, just post a place and I'll rally a few people together.

Misguided Child

imported post

Trevor,

I have spoken to LE in Yakima and the response was that they knew OC was legal and as long as you weren't doing anything that alarmed them you would not have any problem. Alarmed them as in behavior that would cause them to think you were dangerous.

Trevor

imported post

Yes we are on the "right" side of the state, but unfortunately Walla Walla is a small pocket of left mindset. Whitman University harbours a large group of activist nuts that have infected various portions of the community...that said though it is nothing like Seattle and is pretty confined. I am having trouble finding holsters though locally does anyone know any good places in Yakima or Spokane? or have a suggestion for a 1911?

G27

imported post

Trevor, I would suggest going to Sportman's Warehouse in Spokane. They have a good selection of holsters. If you are going to Open Carry (OC) then I, and many others, would suggest a Serpa Blackhawk. They are amazing holsters and just are the best IMHO.

Dave, I am going to message you my phone number. Next time I am at wazzu I would like to go out to lunch.

-Dave

Paco

imported post

I am having trouble finding holsters though locally does anyone know any good places in Yakima or Spokane? or have a suggestion for a 1911?

Try Axel Raven Company, Inc. on Division street (4107 N Division). He's in between the Mexican Resturaunt and the head shop. Prices are decent and service is really great. I carry my Jeff Cooper 1911 in a Bianchi holster, fits great and excellent retention.

P.S. ARC also carries sound surpressors, A.O.W.s, and other class III NFA items...

Dave The Welder

imported post

Paco wrote:
Try Axel Raven Company, Inc. on Division street (4107 N Division).
Since Jake's Guns in Selah closed down, Axel Raven has become the neatest little shop around. Where else can you hold dual HK mk 23s with Knights Armament suppressors attached. :celebrate Also, while you're on Division Street try the White Elephant and The General Store. I'm not sure as to eithers selection of holsters but both are just before Axel's and both have pretty neat gun sections.
As a side note, I was just into The General Store and the BATFE has pulled their FFL. They no longer have any firearms, which is a shame because they had tons, but they still have everything else including lots of ammo. Does anybody know the story behind why their FFL was pulled?

BluesBear

imported post

I was in One Shot in Wenatchee a few weeks ago and they had a nice holster selection. I was impressed with their overall selection and prices and very impressed with how nice everyone in the store was to us.

Paco

imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
Paco wrote:
Try Axel Raven Company, Inc. on Division street (4107 N Division).
Since Jake's Guns in Selah closed down, Axel Raven has become the neatest little shop around. Where else can you hold dual HK mk 23s with Knights Armament suppressors attached. :celebrate Also, while you're on Division Street try the White Elephant and The General Store. I'm not sure as to eithers selection of holsters but both are just before Axel's and both have pretty neat gun sections.
As a side note, I was just into The General Store and the BATFE has pulled their FFL. They no longer have any firearms, which is a shame because they had tons, but they still have everything else including lots of ammo. Does anybody know the story behind why their FFL was pulled?
Failing to comply with paperwork procedures, i believe.

deanf

imported post

Welcome. Waitsburg! What a great little town! I was over there for the fires last year and the hospitality was great.

I've OCd in EW many times without trouble. The WWPD response seemed very reasonable.

mjohnson

imported post

Hey Trevor,
Looking for holsters? Probably should have asked your mom and I for one for Christmas! Hope you enjoy the socks and underwear.

Pa

(Yes, I'm the father of this rabble rouser. Transplanted to the west (left) side after 45 years on the east side)

joeroket

imported post

mdjohnson wrote:
Hey Trevor,
Looking for holsters? Probably should have asked your mom and I for one for Christmas! Hope you enjoy the socks and underwear.

Pa

(Yes, I'm the father of this rabble rouser. Transplanted to the west (left) side after 45 years on the east side)
LOL Thats funny.