• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What .40 should I get

HMDGLOCK

imported post

I am looking for a new gun, I amreally not that sure what to get because I already have Glock 19, so i dont want another Glock. I want another polymer gun but it seems that most polymer guns look like Glocks. The one I was thinking about getting was 24/7 pro. But I would like to here some suggestions.

jimwyant

imported post

Can't go wrong with H&K. Classic USP, USPc (compact), or the P2000 are all good choices. They are available with your choice a LEM (DAO) or standard DA/SA trigger. They are a little more expensive than Glock, but well worth it IMHO.

I own a full size USP Tactical in .45, A Compact Tactical also in .45, plus a USPc 40. Although I carry my Alaskan and G20 more often than any of my H&K's, it is simply because of the power of the caliber. If H&K made a 10mm, I'd sell both of my G20's in a heartbeat.

(sorry, no pic - I'm at work and anything even remotely gun-related is blocked)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Part of it depends on what sort of trigger action you're looking for. I carry an SW99, partially because my model is Single action/Double action. I don't like the "glock action" type stuff....I like to know that my striker is going to hit every single time I pull the trigger, period.

Anyway regardless of what action you go with, I would also suggest you go with the P99/SW99's. They're just awesome guns. I can't for the life of me figure out why more people don't carry them!

sw99_40_calibre.jpg

Marco

imported post

Too many to name.
Almost every manufacturer makes a polymer frame .40SW.

R u looking for a full, compact or subcompact, SA, DA/SA or DAO a gun with or without a manual safety, with or without rails, is magazine capacity a issue?

R u dead sent on getting a 40SW?
the Springfield XD 45 holds more rounds than the 40 does:?
the XD 45acp Tactical with the compact grip would be my choice

Now the big question,:what: do you want to spend?

prices range from $300 for a SW Sigma, Keltec or Ruger to >$1000 for some of the custom gun makers.

if price was/is a issue SW Sigma or a Ruger would be my choice.

if price and/or polymer aren't a issue a Sig SAS (non ploymer frame)or HK USPc

Springfield XD, SW M&P, SW 99, Taurus andGlock are almost the same price ranging from $400 to $550

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

yeah, I've gotta say glocks have always felt awkward in my hands. Even the XDs just seem a little larger than they need to be (especially their .45...but thats off topic).

I say you find the gun that feels the best and looks the coolest to you. There are very few new guns on the market today that are absolute lemons. In the long run the feel and looks are gonna probably matter more than anything. I couldn't stand carrying an ugly gun lol. (maybe that's just me :D).

I know you're looking for polymer, but you could consider a .40 1911. Thats what my next handgun will be...

AbNo

imported post

Well, I have large hands, so an XD is a good fit for me, as well as a full-size 1911.

Kendo_Bunny loves her Taurus Tracker .38, though. The rubber grip on it is pretty comfy, too.

rob99vmi04

imported post

The range I work at we rent guns. The Glocks, HKs, Sigshold up the best in that order, the XD'we got had some issues.. A lot of people are under the misconception that this is made by Springfield Armory when its really made in Croatia imported as the HS 2000 and over night went from $295 TO OVER $500 when S/A put their name on the side of the gun. Weve had 4 XD's at the shop we have 1 left. The others went back to the factory with terminal failures. I've never seen a GlOCK that couldn't be fixed by a Glock Armorer. Glock has A very small number of pieces vs. some plastic copies that have many more.

XD's do fit a lot of peoples hands but as far as someone said better design, LOL I disagree.

Glock being a D/A striker fired pistol is one of the safest handguns made. Thanks but I'll stick with one of my 8 orginals Glock pistols.

gsh341

imported post

I have a XD-40 Service with 2000+ rounds through it and I've never had a problemwith it. It shoots very well and I have complete faith in it as a self defense weapon.

AbNo

imported post

Ditto on an XD-40 service.

Only problem I've ever had with it was from some CCI shot shells, 100% FTE.

But then again, these were snakeshot shells, with almost no charge to them. :D