Thread: Bothell PD recognizes OC

Post imported post

On advice from sv_libertarian (thanks Steve!) I emailed the Bothell Police Chief to talk about open carry. Chief Conover was extremely polite and informative. He said that the Bothell Police Officers and Dispatchers recognize the right of citizens to open carry in a peaceable manner. He reminded me that most people aren't used to seeing it and that doing so would likely generate calls to the PD which might have to be "checked out" depending on the "totality of circumstances" as reported by the concerned caller. Nothing wrong with this in my opinion...that's how all emergency calls work.

The impression I got from our discussion was that the dispatchers would do their best to ascertain if there was really something illegal going on rather than just hearing "man with a gun" and sending off the S.W.A.T. team.

I have nothing but praise for the respectful and polite way in which Chief Conover discussed these issues with me. He answered a chain of questions that lasted roughly two weeks and was always professional and informative.

Hope this is helpful for some folks....I'm contacting other local departments as well that maybe haven't been talked to yet.

Advice is always welcome.

Regards,
    Rattler

Post imported post

I'm glad it went well and the outcome was very positive. I'm glad you followed it up by talked with the Chief.

BTW, could it be that all LEOs are not evil, after all? No, that's impossible; they are all corrupt and evil soldiers of the American Fascist Government. (Sarcasm!)

Post imported post

That is exactly how they deal with "man with a gun" calls in Las Vegas. Glad to hear the local PD knows the law.

Post imported post

I'd really like to see your original email to the Chief. Might give others a glimpse as to what works when communicating with them...

Post imported post

Sure, gregma, no problem.

---------------------------------------------
    Chief Conover,

I am curious to know if you and the officers of the Bothell Police Department are aware of and recognise the right of citizens in the State of Washington to carry firearms openly in a peaceable manner.

Thank you for your service to this community.

Regards,

----------------------------------------------

I tried to keep it simple, respectful, and to the point.

Post imported post

I used to work with Chief Conover when he was a Captain for the Bothell PD. In my view he has always had a level head and has been a fair officer. He was a good choice for Chief.

I'm glad he has continued that in the many years since I worked with him.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

::thumbsup:: to Chief Conover.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

State Researcher

Post imported post

gregma wrote:
    I'd really like to see your original email to the Chief. Might give others a glimpse as to what works when communicating with them...
    Unfortunately police are harder to figure out then women...:P

State Researcher

Post imported post

Kewl. I have never visited Bothell, but it sounds like the Chief there has a level head on his shoulders.
    If you want to thank people, thank Lonnie for setting this whole thing in motion...

Post imported post

Chief Haney,

I am curious to know if you and the officers of theBainbridge IslandPolice Department are aware of and recognise the right of citizens in the State of Washington to carry firearms openly in a peaceable manner.

Thank you for your service to this community.

Regards,

"Wheelgunner"

Sent this to Bainbridge Island Police Dept. Will keep you guys up to date. Expect the PC police any moment

:celebrate

Post imported post

Very nice AR... simple in wording, to the point, and asks for a response, with out being over bearing or judgemental.

Post imported post

Thanks, guys!

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, USA

Post imported post

As a side note, Bothell PD is the contract dispatch for Lake Forest park PD. In all disclosure, I amone of twoFIs for LFPPD and just had the chief sign off on our refresher training bulletin for OC (contact me if you'd like a copy - nothing fancy. Just a minor reinvention of the Federal Way bulletin).

I can tell you that Bothell Dispatch is one of the calmest groups out there and the dispatchers are smart and informative. Bothell PD officers, like the majority of LFPPD officers, are pro-gun, pro-carry.

As a side note, please look at my OCEP thread.

Post imported post

Morris wrote:
    As a side note, Bothell PD is the contract dispatch for Lake Forest park PD. In all disclosure, I amone of twoFIs for LFPPD and just had the chief sign off on our refresher training bulletin for OC (contact me if you'd like a copy - nothing fancy. Just a minor reinvention of the Federal Way bulletin).

I can tell you that Bothell Dispatch is one of the calmest groups out there and the dispatchers are smart and informative. Bothell PD officers, like the majority of LFPPD officers, are pro-gun, pro-carry.

As a side note, please look at my OCEP thread.
    I have heard from other sources that the Bothell Dispatch is unusually good. They seem to have a widespread good reputation.

Thanks for your input, Morris.