• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canadian Shooting Sports Association ALERT: ONTARIO CFO TO BEGIN HOME INSPECTIONS

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/2007/11/CFO_Inspection_ALERT.html

We have just learned that the Chief Firearms Office in Ontario is initiating a pilot program to begin limited home inspections in the Toronto area. Following is a letter from Superintendent Chris Wyatt (Chief Firearms Officer) explaining the program:
[line] Dear Mr. Whitmore,
RE: Inspection of Collector’s Firearms
I appreciate the opportunity of meeting with you and Tony Bernardo on November 20, 2007, to discuss the Canadian Shooting Sports Association’s concerns with the planned inspections of some firearms owners’ collection in the City of Toronto. I also appreciate the opportunity to communicate with your membership in addressing this issue.

The Toronto Police Service recently brought several incidents to the attention of the Chief Firearms Office where the owners of firearms, who had died or had not been at their residences for significant periods of time, did not have their firearms safely secured. This is a very real public safety concern. The Toronto Police Service requested the Chief Firearms Office take action to address this concern.

The Chief Firearms Office is piloting an initiative that involves notifying older firearms owners, in Toronto, who own more than 10 firearms, including a restricted or prohibited firearm(s). These firearms owners will be required to have their firearms inspected by a firearms officer designated by the Chief Firearms Officer. Each owner has been provided a pamphlet from the Canadian Firearms Centre setting out the requirements for safe storage and display. The inspector will also be providing the firearms owners with information, from the Canadian Firearms Centre, on how to arrange for the handling of their firearms in the event of death or incapacity.

The Firearms Act provides for a firearms officer, designated in writing by the Chief Firearms Officer, the authority to conduct inspections in certain circumstances, including where the inspector believes on reasonable grounds that there is a firearms collection, a prohibited firearm or more than 10 firearms. Where the inspection involves a dwelling house, the Firearms Act requires the inspector provide reasonable notice and obtain the occupant’s consent. The Firearms Act also requires the owner or person in charge of a place to give the inspector reasonable assistance to enable him to carry out the inspection.

The following guidelines will be used in conducting inspections:
  • The date and time of the inspection will be at a time agreeable to the owner or occupant.
  • The inspector will identify himself to the owner or occupant using a badge and photo identification provided by the Chief Firearms Office.
  • All firearms registered to the owner or occupant will be inspected.
  • No force will be used in conducting the inspection.
  • A receipt will be issued to the firearms owner for any item taken by the inspector during the inspection.
  • Where evidence is found of a criminal offence e.g., failing to report a lost or stolen firearm, that evidence will be turned over to the police agency of jurisdiction for their appropriate action.
  • Where unregistered prohibited or restricted firearm(s) are found, they may be seized and turned over to the police agency of jurisdiction for their appropriate action.
  • The Chief Firearms Office will work with owners to ensure compliance. Firearms owners, who have been notified of an upcoming inspection, have been provided a contact name and number of a firearms officer should they require information or assistance.
The primary goal of the Chief Firearms Office is the protection of public safety. Safe storage and display of firearms is essential to public safety to ensure legally possessed firearms do not fall into the hands of criminals or unauthorized persons. The Chief Firearms Office is seeking the voluntary compliance of firearms owners with the storage and display requirements of the Act. The Chief Firearms Office provides education and information to firearms owners to achieve compliance.
I see this initiative as an opportunity to work together to promote these objectives. While you are not in agreement with this particular initiative, we do share the same goal of protecting public safety. Thank you for ongoing support.

Yours truly,
Chris M. Wyatt, Superintendent
Chief Firearms Officer
[line]​
As you can imagine, we are certainly against any type of home inspection and have relayed our objections in no uncertain terms to the CFO. Our letter contained the following:
[line] We must stress to you that we are fundamentally opposed to such an initiative and ask that this program be cancelled and other ways found to address the problems experienced by Toronto Police Services, if indeed they exist at all. As well, police officers are not medical professionals and are not qualified to assess anyone’s mental or physical state.

The inspection provisions contained in the Firearms Act in relation to private homes is a violation of the fundamental rights of Canadians to be free from unreasonable search and seizure and the right to remain silent pursuant to sections 7, 8 and 12 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Violating the rights of our senior citizens, many of them WWII veterans, to alleviate a perceived public safety problem identified by a politically motivated city administration, can have far reaching consequences for the credibility of the CFO and has the potential to be a public relations nightmare. Imagine the headlines in the Toronto Sun, “Veterans No Longer Trusted to Own Guns”, “Police Program to Search and Seize Seniors Guns”, as well as potential complaints to the Human Rights Commissioner regarding age discrimination.

Be advised that if this initiative proceeds, we will encourage all affected firearms owners to use every legal option available to them, including non-cooperation and refusal of the inspections. This will force your officers to do either one or both of the following: Obtain a warrant to force entry; lay charges for non-cooperation (another violation of our rights of self incrimination). We will provide legal representation to challenge these actions in court, which will further impact on the credibility of the CFO and the Firearms Act, bringing both into disrepute.

We implore you to reconsider your decision to implement this policy. The CSSA would welcome the opportunity to work with the CFO and Toronto Police to find other ways to educate the firearms owners and their families on compliance with the storage regulations.”

Those affected by this pilot program are ages 75 years and older, owners of at least 10 firearms including prohibited and/or restricted firearms, living in Toronto. As indicated in Sup. Chris Wyatt’s letter, we voiced our strong objections to this initiative and to their credit, they traveled down to our office to meet with us. We were assured that the inspections would be conducted professionally and respectfully. But that does not alleviate the violation of our basic charter rights and the perception the inspections are nothing more than fishing expeditions.
[line]​
If you have received one of these letters, or know someone who has, please call us immediately. We have prepared a legal paper outlining your rights under the Firearms Act and the limitations of the inspections as defined in the Act. You need to know this information to protect yourself from undue seizures and charges.

We urge everyone in Ontario to contact their MPP, MP, Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day and OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino to stop this harassment of firearms owners.
Larry Whitmore
Executive Director – CSSA
Ph: 1-888-873-4339
Email: l.whitmore@cdnshootingsports.org

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

David Codrea, http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2007/11/alert-in-ontario.html#comments, says:

Think about it. Mandatory inspections. Warrantless searches. A requirement to self-incriminate. Presumed authority to seize property. All against registered collectors under the guise of "public safety," with a liberal sprinkling of the word "reasonable," and even sneaking in the Orwellian fraud of "voluntary compliance."

That'll show Ontario's violent criminal underclass.

Keep an eye on this one for adaptation here. You know our enemies will.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

If they want to shove pamphlets in everyone mail box about how to safely store your firearms, or have some type of voluntary meeting, to showcase the responsibility of storing and owning a firearm, thats fine. However, going into peoples homes and making them cooperate is WAYYYY across the line.

Their argument in this is very weak, and serves no justifiable cause.

A step in the wrong direction, any way you look at it.

unrequited

imported post

Well they don't have the 4th Amendment up there... and unfortunately I see Canada going the way Germany, England, and Australia have gone.

Another suck point is that they're effectively telling home owners that they have no effective means of home self-defense if each firearm has to be locked and bolted in a safe (who knows maybe even triggerlocked inside the safe). Wow.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

unrequited wrote:
Well they don't have the 4th Amendment up there.
Yes, they don't have the 4A but we have the Census Bureau and it is 2010 less three years and we have the Patriot Act and Repugnicrats and Hag Hillary's shadow looms large on the horizon.

Y'all do remember the privacy who-ha of the 2000 Census? I remember the fines that I was threatened.

The Constitutional mandate of the Census is for enumeration only just as the BoR enumerates only Rights of our Creator.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

http://www.census.gov/2010census/about_2010_census/007622.html
2010 Census is Different

The 2010 Census will be a short-form only census and will count all residents living in the United States as well as ask for name, sex, age, date of birth, race, ethnicity, relationship and housing tenure – taking just minutes to complete.

The more detailed socioeconomic information is now collected through the American Community Survey. The survey provides current data about your community every year, rather than once every 10 years. It is sent to a small percentage of the population on a rotating basis throughout the decade. No household will receive the survey more often than once every five years.
One hit on a site-search for "compliance"

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/AdvMeth/Papers/ACS/Paper10.htm
The American Community Survey: Nonresponse Follow-Up in the Rockland County Test Site, Joseph J. Salvo and Arun Peter Lobo, Population Division, New York City Department of City Planning

dng

State Researcher
imported post

It's not long before the same thing will be happening here; in the land of the "free". Brace yourself, because it is coming.

Legba

imported post

Sorry to be the eternal voice of gloom, but it's here already. Licensed collectors have to make the storage location of their weapons accessible to the ATF for annual inspection for compliance with record keeping, and at any time for investigation of crimes or gun tracing in connection with same. However, this only applies to FFL holders and not civilians (yet).

-ljp

Thundar

imported post

Legba wrote:
Sorry to be the eternal voice of gloom, but it's here already. Licensed collectors have to make the storage location of their weapons accessible to the ATF for annual inspection for compliance with record keeping, and at any time for investigation of crimes or gun tracing in connection with same. However, this only applies to FFL holders and not civilians (yet).

-ljp
You are correct. An FFLcollectors license exposes you to almost all of the liabilities of a dealer with few of the benefits. I thought that the license would be helpful in expanding my collection. While at a gun show last year the NICS system went down. I thought, no problem and tried to use the collectors license to buy a Swedish Mauser, an M-1 Carbine and an SKS (all C&R eligible). None of the dealers wanted to sell to me using my C&R license, even though it was completely legal. The license is only good for 3 years and costs $30. I will not be renewing my license.

hpj3

imported post

RE: the "American Community Survey" Doug mentioned abaove...

I actually got one of these recently. It was preceded by a letter saying it was coming. There was another letter after I failed to return it. Then another complete survey.

The detail required in this thing is repugnant. I decided to try a different approach - I provided only the basic info that I felt the census was designed for. I included several notes throughout regarding the overly-intrusive nature of the questions and my corresponding non-response. To date, I've had nothing in return.

Howard