• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winn-Dixie No Carry Sign

Double_J

imported post

I noticed a few days ago when I went grocery shopping at my local Winn-Dixie and I noticed that they had the legal sign for MS prohibiting the carrying of a firearm. I promptly left and went around the corner to another store. When I got home I emailed the corp. office.

Today I received a phone call from the district manager, he said that the reason for the signs is that it is a "State Law" and that they were sent by corp. I advised him that I have NEVER seen any law about carrying in a grocery store. He was unable to give me a statute number or any other information about the "Law"that required him to post the signs. His advice was to get in touch with the corp. office and ask what the reason was for this. I intend to do this and will post the resultsof this conversation.

I intend to do all of my shoppingat other storesnow, we have two local storesthat are a little higher price, but have no signs.

Double J

Fallguy

imported post

Do they sell beer? If so they may be misreading the law about where alcohol is served for consumption.

Hope you can get and answer and get it resolved.

Double_J

imported post

I was CC'ing at the time as I just came from the drugstore right across from the Winn-Dixie store. The state law says the carry, not differentiating between Concealed or Open carry.

The store does sell beer, but they also have a sign that plainly states that alcohol is not to be consumed on the premisis, so they can not say that it is because of on premis consumption.

I was out of town this weekend and I will need to get in touch with the corp. hq. tomorrow during lunch and find out what made them put signs up. I hope that they use the infamous "Insurance Regulation" quote. I will ask which ins. company, and not hold my breath when I don't get an answer.

I told a couple of friends about this, and the fact that I will not do business with a business that does not want me to be able to defend my life. They thought that I was stupid and immature. I explained that if you don't stand for something you will fall for everything.

Double J

imported post

At the risk of sounding foolish, just how do you defend your life without a weapon? Unless you're a highly trained martial arts type, your choices are pretty much limited. I guess if you're in a Winn Dixie, you could always resort to grabbing a rib rack or some cut of meat to wield as a defensive tool. I'd imagine a blow to the head with a 2lb bag of ice might temporarily daze an assailant, but that's about it.

Marco

imported post

There is a continuum of options that can be used to defend your life. They include hand to hand and fleeing, among others.
Most attacks, almost all I daresay, in supermarkets don't require a S&W 586 to resolve.
To spin the Winn-Dixie policy as being aimedat denying you the ability to defend yourself falls apart very quickly under analysis. In any event,
if people are tooscared,weak, lazyor unprepared to defend themselves without a gun, then Winn-Dixie is not the store for them, I guess.
your argument has holes.
aged or disabled persons may not be able to flee (fast enough)or fight (well enough) and let us not forget about parents with small or disabled/handicapped children or spouse.
IfI was going somewhereI knewI needed a gun I wouldn't go if I could avoid or I would take a tool I thought would do the job best.

as for supermarkets might I remind you of Zane Floyd.
remember google is your friend

HT, NNTR i'm not going to debate with you.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Can I have a source for that; thepercentage of the time people don't need a firearm? Or is it an untrue statement which is only your opinion?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

But I had a whole bag of stale bread that I didn't get to feed to the ducks down at the pond, so I thought I'd give it to the troll....;) But you're right, no sense starting a flame war.

Marco

imported post

no gun, no money
I have the right to spend it where I choose just like any(almost any)business has the the right to deny me service/goods.

this is my choice let each person decide for themselves what is best for them, sometimes we don't have other options

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
dngreer wrote:
HankT wrote:
99.999999999999999999999999999999999999909 % of the time, people don't need a firearm to go get the milk, eggs and sardines. Stay alert, keep your eyes open, stay outta Condition White, know where the exits are and don't make crude comments to women or children. You'll be awright.
Can I have a source for that; thepercentage of the time people don't need a firearm? Or is it an untrue statement which is only your opinion?

It's an estimate.

I think it's probably very very close.

What do you think the percentage might be, dngreer? Ballpark.
Well you didn't ask me, but I'm telling you anyway... your estimate is probably quite a bit off... probably more like 99.999919 -- seriously.

Marco

imported post

IfI was going somewhereI knewI needed a gun I wouldn't go if I could avoid or I would take a tool I thought would do the job best.

it only takes one incident to change your life

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:

it only takes one incident to change your life
Never, will you know this. The crime might statistically be higher in an area, but you will never know that the gun is needed... but I get what you are saying.

charlie12

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
At the risk of sounding foolish, just how do you defend your life without a weapon? Unless you're a highly trained martial arts type, your choices are pretty much limited. I guess if you're in a Winn Dixie, you could always resort to grabbing a rib rack or some cut of meat to wield as a defensive tool. I'd imagine a blow to the head with a 2lb bag of ice might temporarily daze an assailant, but that's about it.
If we could get somebody to make us some Kevlar T-Shirts and caps we could make a run for it. ;)

Biloxi Beretta

imported post

I went to that store specifically to check out the sign. It is a picture of a revolver with red circle/line through it. I did not see any other signs posted that stated carrying a firearm was not allowed.

That sign is not in compliance with MS regulation. Especially since it is posted toward the bottom of the glass. You can hardly see it coming through the door, much less 10 feet away.

MS Code states: "in addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited."

The stores in Biloxi and D'Iberville do not have the same window sticker. The way W-D blows through store personnel, it is no wonder that the person you questioned had no idea about the origin.

I wouldn't pay a bit of attention to it.

joekareca

imported post

Double J, you are right by going to the other store! and you will be seeing alot more of these sighs too.....JK54