• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun safes for your car

sccrref

imported post

In thehopefully rare instances that youleave your gun in yourcar, how or in what do you store it. I haveread numerous posts about stowing in a safe bolted to the car. Descriptions and or pics would be helpful. Myself, right now I use a lockable plastic box with foam inside. I know itis hardly secure but I very rarely leave my gun in the car. I am looking for input on a more secure method.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

sccrref wrote:
In thehopefully rare instances that youleave your gun in yourcar, how or in what do you store it. I haveread numerous posts about stowing in a safe bolted to the car. Descriptions and or pics would be helpful. Myself, right now I use a lockable plastic box with foam inside. I know itis hardly secure but I very rarely leave my gun in the car. I am looking for input on a more secure method.
I leave mine under the seat. Depending on where I am I run a cable through it and around the seat base.

If you don't have anything visible in your vehicle, that is of value to a criminal, they likely won't break into your car, unless they actually want the vehicle, in which case you can bet they will find the safe, and or gun.

I don't have much faith in too many vehicle safes. However if I bought one, I would lean towards the models that bolt underneath the seat.

If someone is breaking into your car, simply looking for a gun, and you have it in a safe bolted to the frame, that might be enough of a deterrent. However, if the car is being stolen, and drove somewhere, the safe is going to get opened one way or another, and the gun will be stolen.

The most inexpensive way I can think of is to get a locking cable, go through the gun and around the base of the seat.

Fallguy

imported post

For now I put mine in the center console. But I have been thinking about getting one of these safes, since it meets TSA requirments as well, if I was to ever fly with mine.

pgroup_7079_image_400x600__shadow.jpg

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
In SC any citizen not otherwise prohibited may have a gun in his car and the police take stolen guns very seriously, stolen cars less so. Always keep a gun in your car.

But take it out when the car is unoccupied.

A car is generallynot a good place to store a gun.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

HankT wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
In SC any citizen not otherwise prohibited may have a gun in his car and the police take stolen guns very seriously, stolen cars less so. Always keep a gun in your car.

No. You avoid the point.

The cops valuate the gun higher than the car, while we citizens valuate the car higher than the police do - regardless of the gun (a throw-away perhaps). If you want your car back, tell the cops there was a gun in it (maybe your best but 'registered' gun).

Or maybe you'd like a law against that too?

A car is a fine place to store a gun. It can be discreet, locked, unaccessable to children. "It's for the chilldruun!" (Joycelyn Elders, SG) Better the BG break into the unoccupied car to steal the gun than the occupied house. Sufficient law to make a BadGuy good or a citizen safe cannot be written.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed whee they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
HankT wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

The cops valuate the gun higher than the car, while we citizens valuate the car higher than the police do - regardless of the gun (a throw-away perhaps). If you want your car back, tell the cops there was a gun in it ...

What is a "throw-away" gun, Doug Huffman?

And whywould Doug Huffman publicly recommend the use of a "throw-away" gun to members and readers of OCDO?

gregma

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
For now I put mine in the center console. But I have been thinking about getting one of these safes, since it meets TSA requirments as well, if I was to ever fly with mine.

pgroup_7079_image_400x600__shadow.jpg
+1 on this safe. I use the same exact thing, although I purchased mine from Cabela's. It can hold my full sized Beretta and a mag quite nicely!

expvideo

imported post

I have one of these bolted to the floor of my car, under the driver's seat. When I tilt and pushthe seat forward, it uncovers the box.

I am not allowed to bring my gun to work or leave it in my car on the company lot, per my company policy. So I park in a nearby lot and walk to work, leaving my gun locked in the safe 5 days a week. This safe is a wonderful investment if you leave your gun in the car, and you can pick it up at WalMart.com for $44.49

0001624730400_500X500.jpg

After viewing the details at walmart's website, this is actually a larger model than mine, it just looks very similar. Mine also doesn't have a cable. I just drilled a hole in the bottom and bolted it to the floorboards from the inside of the safe. It's big enough to hold 2 full size handguns. More if you are willing to pile them in there.

MITCH

imported post

Here in Arizona you can't carry on site if sprits are served. This either limits where to eat dinner or whether you should carry.

I bought two of these safes for just that purpose and they work fine. That's about the only time the gun (s) are left in the car.:what:

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have several of the large boxes from Center of Mass. They hide pretty well in the vehicle and are easy to access. I have also used one when flying and had it cabled inside the bag. Holds a full size 1911 and spare mag. With the IWB holster I have it will fit in the box with the holster
LSideView1911.jpg

ccwtrainer

imported post

I sell Secure-It's at my storeon my website atwww.permittocarry.us

I would recommend buying the larger one which fits a full sized 1911. They all have memory foam so even a smaller firearm will be held securely and safely.

They can be screwed to a wall so they are good to use inhomestoo.

ccwtrainer

imported post

I forgot, if two or moreare ordered at the same time, they can all be keyed alike, so one key works on all safes.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Another recommendation for the center-of-mass safes (www.center-of-mass.com is their web site).

Ordered and arrived within one week. Outstanding service.

I keep one under each seat in my and spouse's car. We have them keyed alike in his car and alike in mine. Also sent one to daughter when we sent her gun - it served as a shipping container, and is keyed to one of ours, so if she loses BOTH her keys, we still have one.

I carry to/from work, but work in federal leased offices, so I can't take it in. I park in the garage, slide the safe out, put the gun in, replace the safe, and go off to work. On my way back, I unlock the safe, put the gun in the purse or holster, and return the safe to its place. It can all be done very discreetly.

Yes, a thief COULD get to it, if he knew it was there and he wanted it. But since locks only keep honest people out, and I don't have anything else of value in the car, I'm certain the thief would choose someone else's vehicle before mine.

expvideo

imported post

I'm glad to hear that some of you use safes as well. I think it is the smartest investment you can make*.

*Except for tea. If I had the money, I'd invest it in tea. With all of our we-want-to-be-like-europe influence, teawill bethe new starbucks, and with the whithering away of our constitution and American values, it's not surprising that we're going back to where we started...

grog18b

imported post

What is a "throw-away" gun, Doug Huffman?

And whywould Doug Huffman publicly recommend the use of a "throw-away" gun to members and readers of OCDO?

Also, why would he recommend lying tothe police? Yeah, THAT'S reaaall smart. Report your car stolen, then get locked up for lying. Man... I've seen few dumber posts...

I highly recommend NOT leaving any firearm in a vehicle. I just arrested a guy for a triple homicide a few months ago. He entered his room mates truck and used his 12gauge, and returned it to the truck afterwards. Never leave a firearm in a vehicle.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Another graduate of HenrettaTroll's creative illiteracy. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Heel, Henretta, heel I say!

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$