• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun safes for your car

unrequited

imported post

ccwtrainer wrote:
I sell Secure-It's at my store on my website at www.permittocarry.us

I would recommend buying the larger one which fits a full sized 1911. They all have memory foam so even a smaller firearm will be held securely and safely.

They can be screwed to a wall so they are good to use in homes too.
Um... Cabela's has the standard and large sizes for $3 cheaper online (I'm assuming in-store as well):
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20799

That's a good suggestion with the multiple key-ing though.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
grog18b wrote:
The cops valuate the gun higher than the car, while we citizens valuate the car higher than the police do - regardless of the gun (a throw-away perhaps). If you want your car back, tell the cops there was a gun in it ...
What is a "throw-away" gun, Doug Huffman?

And whywould Doug Huffman publicly recommend the use of a "throw-away" gun to members and readers of OCDO?

Also, why would he recommend lying tothe police? Yeah, THAT'S reaaall smart. Report your car stolen, then get locked up for lying. Man... I've seen few dumber posts...

I highly recommend NOT leaving any firearm in a vehicle. I just arrested a guy for a triple homicide a few months ago. He entered his room mates truck and used his 12gauge, and returned it to the truck afterwards. Never leave a firearm in a vehicle.
Another graduate of HenrettaTroll's creative illiteracy. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Heel, Henretta, heel I say!

I think Doug Huffman went too far on this one. Keeping a gun stored in an unoccupied car should be minimized, not maximized.

And for Doug Huffman to suggest to readers of this site that keeping a "throw-away" gun in the car simply in an attempt to make the car more important for investigating police in the event the car got stolen is pretty irrespsonsible.

What happens if the car thief gets away with the gun? Now we have afelon car thiefwho has a gun! A loaded gun!

Doug Huffman's suggestion may not be illegal but it is a very bad idea.

I urge everyone to reject Doug's ideas about storing guns in cars for thepurposes he suggests.

Guns and handling of guns are life or death things.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

HankT wrote:
Cars and handling of cars are life or death things - that we so casually dismiss even the theft of cars and allow children their control. Don't fear evil things as a hoplophobe but fear the evil intent of the man directing it - car or keyboard.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

grog18b

imported post

Sounds like Doug is off his meds... To recommend illegal acts, is not only irresponsible, but showes a lack of care of the main issue of this website, open carry. Don't recommend or condone illegal acts. You can bring a world of trouble on yourself. Just my .02c. Take it or leave it. :p

Fallguy

imported post

I admit I don't know for sure since I have know way of knowing what Doug's true intentions were...but I don't think he meant to suggest anything illegal. Also by "throw away" gun I took it more to mean one you wouldn't care if it was stolen or lost. Also you wouldn't have to leave one that is loaded or even operable.

I think he meant to suggest in some areas, some police departments might be more interested in recovering a stolengun as opposed to stolen car.

So if you left and old 25 in the trunk that didn't have a mag or something like that and told the police there was a gun in the car when it was stolen, that wouldn't be lying or illegal.

All that being said....I'm not going to do it. I have my weapon on me unless I am at a posted or off-limits place. Funny thing is, if my car was stolen....I could give more info about my Glock than I could my car off the top of my head...lol

Fallguy

imported post

Actually...after re-reading both of his post....the above might have just been more my thoughts as opposed to what he truly said.

My bad...

.....now back to the topic of the thread

..and Carry On. :)

expvideo

imported post

HankT wrote:

I think Doug Huffman went too far on this one. Keeping a gun stored in an unoccupied car should be minimized, not maximized.

And for Doug Huffman to suggest to readers of this site that keeping a "throw-away" gun in the car simply in an attempt to make the car more important for investigating police in the event the car got stolen is pretty irrespsonsible.

What happens if the car thief gets away with the gun? Now we have afelon car thiefwho has a gun! A loaded gun!

I urge everyone to reject Doug's ideas about storing guns in cars for thepurposes he suggests.

I generally don't like agreeing with you HankT, but in this case I have to take your side. I want my car returned to me, but not if the price is that some dangerous criminal now has a gun. There other ways of getting your car back. How much does a GPS tracker cost?Not much morethan a "throw-away" gun I imagine. then you can go and get your car, without involving the police. Or you can call the police and tell them where the car is, which is probably the safer option. Leaving a gun for a criminal to find is not a smart idea, and I would say that intentionally leaving a gun in the car just in case a dangerous criminal takes it is the most disturbingly selfish and dishonorable thing I've ever heard. I would argue that you are ignoring your civic duties to society in a selfish attempt to make yourself more important to the police. Get a GPS tracking unit. They are pricey, but so is intentionally letting a gun fall into the wrong hands.

unrequited

imported post

In the rare occasion where I'm CC'ing and choose not to OC into a restaurant, yeah, the glove box has to do. Sometimes I'll hide the gun somewhere so if they screwdriver the trunk or smash the window and scrwedriver the glovebox, they won't immediately see it. Lots of nooks and crannies inside a car.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Anyone a fan of locking one's gun in one's glovebox when necessary?

Certainly not a fan, but...

I've gotten to work and realized I'd forgotten the key to my safe. My glove box locks with my ignition key. Better than nothing.

imperialism2024

imported post

Tess wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Anyone a fan of locking one's gun in one's glovebox when necessary?

Certainly not a fan, but...

I've gotten to work and realized I'd forgotten the key to my safe. My glove box locks with my ignition key. Better than nothing.
I guess I moreso wonder how much less prone a car safe is to breaking in than a locking glovebox would be... and if that difference is enough to justify the cost.

Or is it moreso the fact that the safe is hidden from view that makes it better?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My center-of-mass safe cost less than $40. And a car thief - one looking for the vehicle and only those quick and easy things right to hand - would be more likely to check the glove box than under the seat, out of sight.

From that perspective, the safe is worth more, IMHO. Plus, I can travel with the safe. And glove boxes seem (I've never tried or researched it) very easy to open even without a key.

imperialism2024

imported post

Tess wrote:
My center-of-mass safe cost less than $40. And a car thief - one looking for the vehicle and only those quick and easy things right to hand - would be more likely to check the glove box than under the seat, out of sight.

From that perspective, the safe is worth more, IMHO. Plus, I can travel with the safe. And glove boxes seem (I've never tried or researched it) very easy to open even without a key.
Fair enough. Didn't know they were that inexpensive... though I'm confident enough in the strength of my glovebox lock (as evidenced by the broken knife I found under the glovebox and the scratched-up lock when returning to my unlocked car a summer or two ago) to not feel the need to purchase and install a safe right now. Might be looking for one in a future vehicle, though.

MITCH

imported post

The knife may not have opened your glove box, but any glove boxes I've ever seen could be opened with a standard claw hammer or screwdriver.

Like Tess, I have two COM gun safes with matching keys. Just one more way to slow down the BG.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
HankT wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
grog18b wrote:
The cops valuate the gun higher than the car, while we citizens valuate the car higher than the police do - regardless of the gun (a throw-away perhaps). If you want your car back, tell the cops there was a gun in it ...
What is a "throw-away" gun, Doug Huffman?

And whywould Doug Huffman publicly recommend the use of a "throw-away" gun to members and readers of OCDO?

Also, why would he recommend lying tothe police? Yeah, THAT'S reaaall smart. Report your car stolen, then get locked up for lying. Man... I've seen few dumber posts...

I highly recommend NOT leaving any firearm in a vehicle. I just arrested a guy for a triple homicide a few months ago. He entered his room mates truck and used his 12gauge, and returned it to the truck afterwards. Never leave a firearm in a vehicle.
Another graduate of HenrettaTroll's creative illiteracy. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Heel, Henretta, heel I say!

Cars and handling of cars are life or death things - that we so casually dismiss even the theft of cars and allow children their control. Don't fear evil things as a hoplophobe but fear the evil intent of the man directing it - car or keyboard.

I don't know what you're taliking about You're not being responsive to my point, which is Doug Huffman has gone too far to suggest that we should keep a gun stored in an unoccupied car. Further that Doug Huffman has gone too far in suggesting thatwe keep a "throw-away" gun in the car simply in an attempt to make the car more important if it should need to be reported stolen.

I doubt that you canlogically respond to this point. Your suggestion borders on illegality.Itcertainly is rash and unsafe.The basisfor your suggestion is complete and total self-centeredness and lack of appropriate, or any, concern for the probabilityof harm to society or individuals shoulda firearm get into the possession of an auto thief or burglar.

Your "advice" is worse than value-less. It is harmful to responsible gunowners as a group, since, unfortunately, Doug Huffman represents all gunowners in his prolific advice-dispensing across the Internet.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I am informed by the effect of Wis. Statute 946.31 (Perjury) and 946.32 (False Swearing) on this discussion - with amusement.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0946.pdf

946.31 Perjury. (1) Whoever under oath or affirmation orally makes a false material statement which the person does not believe to be true, in any matter, cause, action or proceeding, before any of the following, whether legally constituted or exercising powers as if legally constituted, is guilty of a Class H felony: (a) A court; (b) A magistrate; (c) A judge, referee or court commissioner; (d) An administrative agency or arbitrator authorized by statute to determine issues of fact; (e) A notary public while taking testimony for use in an action or proceeding pending in court; (f) An officer authorized to conduct inquests of the dead; (g) A grand jury; (h) A legislative body or committee. (2) It is not a defense to a prosecution under this section that the perjured testimony was corrected or retracted.
946.32 False swearing. (1) Whoever does either of the following is guilty of a Class H felony: (a) Under oath or affirmation makes or subscribes a false statement which he or she does not believe is true, when such oath or affirmation is authorized or required by law or is required by any public officer or governmental agency as a prerequisite to such officer or agency taking some official action. (b) Makes or subscribes 2 inconsistent statements under oath or affirmation in regard to any matter respecting which an oath or affirmation is, in each case, authorized or required by law or required by any public officer or governmental agency as a prerequisite to such officer or agency taking some official action, under circumstances which demonstrate that the witness or subscriber knew at least one of the statements to be false when made. The period of limitations within which prosecution may be commenced runs from the time of the first statement. (2) Whoever under oath or affirmation makes or subscribes a false statement which the person does not believe is true is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
There are, of course, considerable annotations (for the invincibly ignorant).

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$