• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns and Alcohol Do Not Mix

expvideo

imported post

It is a fact that alcohol clouds judgement. There is no data needed, because it's common knowledge. Wikipedia "alcohol". I'm sure it will be in there.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I'll admit, at first I though DH's comment was a joke... :uhoh:

Nah.

Doug Huffman actually believes that "alcohol ... improves shooting!"

I wonder if Doug believes that alcohol "improved" the shooting of Robert Hawkins???

"... Hawkins was not a social person, preferring to play video games while drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana."

I'll be famous, wrote teen killer

Robert Lusetich, Los Angeles correspondent | December 07, 2007[/i]

A TORMENTED 19-year-old, who shot dead eight people yesterday in a US shopping mall before shooting himself, left a suicide note complaining that he was worthless - but adding: "Now I'll be famous."

Robert Hawkins, an experienced and avid hunter and gun enthusiast, took an assault rifle to a busy department store in Omaha, Nebraska, and opened fire on terrified Christmas shoppers, killing eight and wounding five others.

Local media reports said Hawkins, who then turned the weapon on himself, recently broke up with his girlfriend and had been fired from his job at McDonald's.

He was also arrested last week for being a minor in possession of alcohol - the legal drinking age in the US is 21 - and was due in court on December 19.

Hawkins's landlady, Debora Maruca-Kovac, told CNN she had received a call from an upset Hawkins before the shooting in which he told her he'd left a note "explaining everything".

When Ms Maruca-Kovac - who had taken the troubled Hawkins into her home 18 months ago after he was kicked out by his family - asked what he meant, he said "It's too late" and put down the phone. She said after reading the note left in his bedroom she phoned his mother, and together they alerted police.

"He just said (in the note) how he was sorry for everything, that he didn't want to be a burden any longer to anybody, that he loved his family and he loved all of his friends," Ms Maruca-Kovac said.

"He said he was a piece of shit all his life" Ms Maruca-Kovac said, adding he used the words: "Now I'll be famous."

In the note he reportedly also talked about "going out in style".

Police chief Thomas Warren said the attack, the worst in the state's history, was premeditated but indiscriminate.

Witnesses, many of whom did not realise what was happening, believing the gunfire was balloons popping or construction work, said it was over in minutes, though the nightmare lasted almost an hour for hundreds of frightened shoppers hiding behind racks of clothes and in toilets.

Hawkins, tall and lanky and dressed in camouflage gear, ran through the Westroads mall just before 2pm (local time) holding an AK-47 high above him before stopping on the third floor of the Von Maur store and firing.

"I saw a guy run by with a huge gun," a woman named Teresa told a local television station.

"At first it didn't register. Then, there was a woman who had an awful look on her face with two little kids. She was practically dragging the one and pushing the stroller and saying, 'He has a gun and he's shooting people'."

As Americans struggled to process the reality of yet another senseless massacre in their heartland, a portrait emerged of Hawkins that is eerily similar to those of his predecessors, from Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold to Virginia Tech mass murderer Cho Seung-hui.

Dark, brooding, solitary and inconsolable, Hawkins was reportedly taking powerful anti-depressants - drugs that have been linked to violence and suicide. He had also been given drugs for attention deficit disorder.

A friend, Shawn Saunders, said Hawkins was not a social person, preferring to play video games while drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana.

He was kicked out of high school two years ago and was estranged from his family.

His parents, who are divorced but live in the area, put him in a home for troubled youths, where he was reportedly harassed, after which Hawkins moved into the home of Ms Maruca-Kovac's sons, who were friends.

"When he first came in the house, he was introverted, a troubled young man who was like a lost pound puppy that nobody wanted," said Ms Maruca-Kovac, who works as a nurse. After discovering the note, she went to work at the Nebraska Medical Centre, where she saw shooting victims brought in for treatment.

He reportedly also left a note for friends, and a makeshift will.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22884719-601,00.html