Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: State wide licence needed to purchase firearms

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    dumries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    321

    Post imported post

    I can not reveal the source, but,, I have spoken with someone in the NY DNR that tells me that NY State is trying to make it law, state wide( like in NY City) that ALL residents must first obtain a Firearms Purchase Permit prior to purchasing a firearm.

    We didn't discuss ammo,so I have no information on that.

    I feel you brothers in arms should know and do what you can to put a stop to this violation of your Second Amendment rights

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    1st freedom wrote:
    I can not reveal the source, but,, I have spoken with someone in the NY DNR that tells me that NY State is trying to make it law, state wide( like in NY City) that ALL residents must first obtain a Firearms Purchase Permit prior to purchasing a firearm.

    We didn't discuss ammo,so I have no information on that.

    I feel you brothers in arms should know and do what you can to put a stop to this violation of your Second Amendment rights
    Yeah, isn't much of a leap to take it to state level now... I'm not suprised.

    However, I think we are all happy that now NY (state) is heading to be as safe as NY (city)...:?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    ...they did it in Jersey right across the river.

    Whatever happens it won't be without a fight, and I hope the northern-state'ers fight Bloomberg on every point (you knoooooooooow he's behind it heh).
    -Unrequited

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    I'm not too familiar with the circumstance surrounding a permit to purchase a firearm...

    If you do have a permit to purchase a firearm, is there still a check @ the time of purchase?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    I'm not too familiar with the circumstance surrounding a permit to purchase a firearm...

    If you do have a permit to purchase a firearm, is there still a check @ the time of purchase?
    Hah... that's if you get the permit to purchase a firearm.

    When I lived in one town growing up my dad bought a gun every couple months because it was his hobby, and he was personal friends with the town's Chief (as much so as he knew my dad, not that they were "friends"). When we moved somewhat later, I wondered why he never bought any more, and it turns out the new town's chief was staunchly against gun ownership so while he couldn't take away my dad's guns, he knew how many my dad had, and wouldn't approve any more. (Maybe one or two in the years he's lived there since). It's not his hobby anymore obviously.

    But yes, there's still a background check and waiting period after the permit to buy (which is only good for that one gun).
    -Unrequited

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    unrequited wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    I'm not too familiar with the circumstance surrounding a permit to purchase a firearm...

    If you do have a permit to purchase a firearm, is there still a check @ the time of purchase?
    Hah... that's if you get the permit to purchase a firearm.

    When I lived in one town growing up my dad bought a gun every couple months because it was his hobby, and he was personal friends with the town's Chief (as much so as he knew my dad, not that they were "friends"). When we moved somewhat later, I wondered why he never bought any more, and it turns out the new town's chief was staunchly against gun ownership so while he couldn't take away my dad's guns, he knew how many my dad had, and wouldn't approve any more. (Maybe one or two in the years he's lived there since). It's not his hobby anymore obviously.

    But yes, there's still a background check and waiting period after the permit to buy (which is only good for that one gun).
    Heh... then why not call it a "Background check permit" :P

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    It's the "how much have you donated to your local Chief/Sheriff permit". > )
    -Unrequited

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    1st freedom wrote:
    I can not reveal the source, but,, I have spoken with someone in the NY DNR that tells me that NY State is trying to make it law, state wide( like in NY City) that ALL residents must first obtain a Firearms Purchase Permit prior to purchasing a firearm.

    We didn't discuss ammo,so I have no information on that.

    I feel you brothers in arms should know and do what you can to put a stop to this violation of your Second Amendment rights
    I see that this is an old post, but I have to call BS on this information. I'm not going to reveal my source either, butit won't be to hard to figure it out.He isour highest ranked Rep. Senator here in NYand alsomy neighbor

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    19

    Post imported post

    The issue behind this is simply the law of supply and demand. Places were guns are hard to come by pose a business opportunity for those willing to break the law to sell them there. If guns were made to be uniformly obtainable across all 50 states, you could eliminate this market or remove its profability greatly. The fact that any fool can buy trunk loads of guns in one state and sell them illegally in another needs to be stopped. Until all the states agree to a standard that can be applied evenly or fairly, this issue is never going to go away.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , New York, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Goodness, don't you people listen to His Horror, Mayor (I can buy anything, including the office of Mayor of NYC) Bloomberg... All we have to do to stop gun crime is prevent anyone from legally having guns, then it'll all go away. (sorry, there's no emoticon for an ostrich with it's head stuck in the sand)...

    Never mind that when England (an Island, mind you, so should be better able to control it's borders than most places) banned handguns (and many others), gun crime steadily rose to the point where they're about to arm the Bobby's... they didn't arm them when it was legal to have handguns... now they need to cause crime keeps climbing.

    Or that fool Fentress in DC who was so upset that if their handgun and working long gun ban is overturned, their will be blood in the streets... since violent gun crime has steadily increased since the ban went into effect, rational people would think that if one strategy doesn't work and the other strategy works in 40 states, then maybe we should try it here... nah, that might make sense...

    Pro-Gun = Facts and Logic
    Anti-Gun = Emotional and Political Pandering

    Why doesn't the NRA take our full page ads in the major city newspapers showing the real statistical evidence... the proof... that Must Issue works. I think that the NRA is afraid that if they ever really win this battle for the 2nd Amendment, they'll stop having a reason to ask us for all that money and many of them will be out of a job.

    Stoney
    {who'll undoubtedly rant some more later...}

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NYC (but only for another 1 1/2 year), New York, USA
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    Just counting the days till i leave this City and State. Sounds like another attempt to make a dollar. I am tried of being priced out on everything, from the 340 for a NYC pistol permit (every 3 years) to fact that if I want get some target practice in, I have to go all the way out to PA. I am turly tired of this state and city, and this is coming from a person who was born and raised here. I have always defended NY, but now I am done. VA or NC which of the 2 will take me and provide me a job to take care of my family I am your for the taking. Good bye NY it was fun for the last 31 years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •