• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Phoenix

azcdlfred

imported post

freedom_fighter777@hotmail.com wrote:
"Within a means of transportation, a deadly weapon that is not immediately accessible or if it is clearly visible to a casual observer or if it is carried in a container that makes it obvious the person is transporting a deadly weapon"

This is a grey area. If your in a car is carrying in a holster visual to a casual observer? This is not the actual law. I am not a skelptic or arguing with anybody I just want to see the actual law that says how I should transport the weapon.

Joe
What ARS 13-3102 seems to say has been twisted by a couple of 1994 Appellate Court decisoins: State v. Adams and State v. Moerman. You can find them on the AzCDL Educational page.

Also go to the DPS website and read"Legal Issues Relating to the use ofDeadly Force." It's the document that CCW Instructors are required to teach from. In particular, read pages 20-24 to see the pitfalls invovled.

There are anumber of bills this year that address various aspects of open carry, vehicle carry, etc.

Fred

ATCer

imported post

Fred,

Does azCDL have anything in the works in the "no carrying into any establishment that serves alcohol" department? I really find it to be a pain in the butt to carry, then not be able to go somewhere like Chili's... legally.

azcdlfred

imported post

ATCer wrote:
Fred,
Does azCDL have anything in the works in the "no carrying into any establishment that serves alcohol" department? I really find it to be a pain in the butt to carry, then not be able to go somewhere like Chili's... legally.

The Governor has all but vowed to veto any Restaurant Carry legislation. In the last two years, Restaurant Carry legislation has died early. Last year a Restaurant Carry amendment was added to a bill for the purpose of getting the bill killed. The Dems hate it and the RINOs hide under their desks. The votes are not there for any real reform. And, unless conservatives and gun owners stop pouting about siting out the November elections, the Arizona House will probably have a Democrat majority next session and any hoping of pushing through good gun laws are gone.

This year, after a legislator's wife got mugged in a parking lot, Seantor Harper introduced SB 1132, a poorly crafted bill that attempts to address the governor's concerns. We're holding our nose on SB 1132. Unless it gets worse, we're staying neutral.

Restaurant Carry is one of our goals.I lived the last 15 years in Virginia where I could wear a gun, walk into a bar and consume alcohol if I desired. Yeah, it's notsocially responsible,but it was my r-i-g-h-t.

Hang in there. We want Restaurant Carry, alongwith many other things.We also have to accept the realities of the environment we're working in.

Fred

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just don't understand their issue on this. It's crazy. My wife and I were within 30 mins of a robbery/abduction/rape a couple of years ago at a restaurant here in Phoenix that serves alcohol(we had just leftwhen the robbery occurred)- scared the cr*p out of me when I found out about it later that evening.

Isn't there a bill this year attempting it again, 2628 I think it was.

azcdlfred

imported post

Notso wrote:
I just don't understand their issue on this. It's crazy. My wife and I were within 30 mins of a robbery/abduction/rape a couple of years ago at a restaurant here in Phoenix that serves alcohol(we had just leftwhen the robbery occurred)- scared the cr*p out of me when I found out about it later that evening.

Isn't there a bill this year attempting it again, 2628 I think it was.

SB 1132 (see my earlier message)

Fred

ATCer

imported post

Fred,

Thanks for the update, and keep up the good work!

inetprez

imported post

Hi..

I am currently living in Riverside California. I know you can technically open carry here but only if the gun isn't loaded...and the definition of loaded is very messy...

Am I correct?

inetprez

imported post

Hi..

I am currently living in Riverside California. I know you can technically open carry here but only if the gun isn't loaded...and the definition of loaded is very messy...

Am I correct?