• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in NY State/NYC?

cyberdogg

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I plan to move to Rochester, New York from Utah (former 5-year AZ resident) and obtain a pistol permit if the hassle of waiting for a period of time for the process to complete (3 months to a year) is worth it.

If I do obtain CCW permit in the county in upstate NY, would it be legal to open carry besides concealed carry?

As crazy as the next question may be, if one can obtain CCW permit issued by NYPD against the overwhelming odds for the average resident, not to mention paying the inflated registration fees (unless you're rich & famous with connections, like Robert De Niro and Donald Trump went through the hoop the easy way), can it render open carry in NYC legal?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cyberdogg wrote:
I plan to move to Rochester, New York from Utah (former 5-year AZ resident) and obtain a pistol permit if the hassle of waiting for a period of time for the process to complete (3 months to a year) is worth it.

If I do obtain CCW permit in the county in upstate NY, would it be legal to open carry besides concealed carry?

As crazy as the next question may be, if one can obtain CCW permit issued by NYPD against the overwhelming odds for the average resident, not to mention paying the inflated registration fees (unless you're rich & famous with connections, like Robert De Niro and Donald Trump went through the hoop the easy way), can it render open carry in NYC legal?
Welcome aboard. Aren't you going the wrong way - from freedom to oppression? I shudder to think what you might have to go through. Check out New York postings further down the main forum page and perhaps ask your question there for a more informed answer.
Yata hey

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Hands where I can see'um cyberdogg, I'm affraid you're under arrest......didn't you know that you can't even SAY pistol and New York in the same sentence?.....let alone write/type it out.....that just PROVES you're guilty!:D

I'm sorry, I just had to......although I can't answer your questions, I wish you the best of luck...welcome to OCDO!

cyberdogg

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Grapeshot wrote
Welcome aboard. Aren't you going the wrong way - from freedom to oppression? I shudder to think what you might have to go through. Check out New York postings further down the main forum page and perhaps ask your question there for a more informed answer.
Ah, I see. Sorry for me being a newbie. I was searching on Google to find the answers and all I've got are bits and pieces. I wanted to know the first-hand experience of NYS's stand on gun issues.

It seems ironic that upstate New York is mostly rural, hence the ok for rifles and shotguns, while NYC is dominated by the liberals who are obviously ignorant out of fear/self-delusion or fascistic (or communist, perhaps) when it comes to tightening control on gun rights issue in New York and NYC. NYC have its own law so suffocating it should be a city-state entity like medieval Italy.

[edit] to answer your question "from freedom to oppression" I will be attending college in Rochester. Also outdoors in national/state parks. I'm really a libertarian, so I don't like gun-grabbing liberals and RINO (Republican in Name Only). I hope Supreme Court decision on the case of DC banning possessing legalitimately purchased/owned guns will be favorable that will force the anti-gun states and cities to respect the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution. Start with New York State and especially NYC, regardless of Mayor Bloomberg's attitude.

Isn't Bernie Goetz currently forbidden from ever owning the firearm after the famous 1984 incident because of a felony tackled on his record for illegal possession of a handgun in the eyes of draconician NYC law?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cyberdogg wrote:
Ah, I see. Sorry for me being a newbie. I was searching on Google to find the answers and all I've got are bits and pieces. I wanted to know the first-hand experience of NYS's stand on gun issues.

It seems ironic that upstate New York is mostly rural, hence the ok for rifles and shotguns, while NYC is dominated by the liberals who are obviously ignorant out of fear/self-delusion or fascistic (or communist, perhaps) when it comes to tightening control on gun rights issue in New York and NYC. NYC have its own law so suffocating it should be a city-state entity like medieval Italy.

[edit] to answer your question "from freedom to oppression" I will be attending college in Rochester. Also outdoors in national/state parks. I'm really a libertarian, so I don't like gun-grabbing liberals and RINO (Republican in Name Only). I hope Supreme Court decision on the case of DC banning possessing legalitimately purchased/owned guns will be favorable that will force the anti-gun states and cities to respect the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution. Start with New York State and especially NYC, regardless of Mayor Bloomberg's attitude.

Isn't Bernie Goetz currently forbidden from ever owning the firearm after the famous 1984 incident because of a felony tackled on his record for illegal possession of a handgun in the eyes of draconician NYC law?
Libertarian newbies need never apologize - liberal newbies maybe.
Yes, the hoped for Supreme Court decision could help us measureably.
If I remember correctly, there was more to Bernie Goetz than a defensive shooting. Wasn't he "looking" for someone on whom to vent his frustrations?

Check out the below link for info re: state gun laws.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Yata hey

UpNYSteve

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Stevtrains wrote:
All links bad! :(
Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

You have a great number of hoops to jump through and different rules in different municipalities. Gotta give you credit for going for it though. Good luck.
Yata hey