• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking about getting a 4" Revolver in .357

eyesopened

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
The pistol I posted about does not use a new cartridge, it shoots the traditional .357 magnum cartridge.

I see why you thought that though... definitely a typo. It is .357 not .257...lol.:banghead:
Actually there is a new .327 cartridge. I thought that was the one you were referencing (OOOPS!)

Hiker

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Having owned the 4" GP100 in .357 and S&W mod. 66 in .357, and now evolved to the Taurus 605 in stainless, I say either one of the two that you mentioned. Enjoy!

glocknroll

imported post

For a home defense weapon you couldn't beat the 686 Smith. I had a 586 and traded it. Wish I had it back.

I gave my wife a 3" S&W model 65 .357. She usually uses +P .38 Special ammo, but can shoot .357 in it. S&W has discontinued the K frame .357s, but you can find them everywhere on the used market.

I have friend who was SF A-team commander. He carried a Ruger GP-100 extensively in El Salvador and had no problems with it.

I think any of those would serve you well.

glocknroll

imported post

Ford Truck wrote:
They don't make 'em anymore, but a good, used Smith & Wesson Model 28 Highway Patrolman would make a great workhorse 4" .357. I've got one & I ain't parting with it. Just my $0.02.
Ya gotta love an N-frame S&W.

cREbralFIX

imported post

In summary, you're looking at a 357 Magnum revolver and want some options.

I started on my revolver craze about a year and a half ago after seeing the National ICORE championships on Outdoor Television. I picked up a S&W 625 in 45 ACP. Since then, I've tried a variety of revolvers. My dad owns quite a few, but I had never tried them. The top current production revolvers in my opinion are (no order):

S&W 625 or 25
S&W 686
S&W 327 / 327 TRR8
S&W Model 22 / M22 Thunder Ranch
Ruger GP100
Ruger SP101
S&W Registered Magnum (new)
S&W Classics: 25, 29, etc
S&W 586 L-Comp

S&W just released their "Night Guard" line, which has a wide variety of guns, including a 7 shot 357 Magnum, a 45, and a 44 Special revolver. The 586 L-Comp is a neat little gun.

Don't forget Dan Wesson! You should be able to find a Dan Wesson kit on gunbroker. Generally, these include several barrels and grips, as well as a tool to change the barrel. Dan Wesson guns are very, very nice. Since they'll be used, you'll need to account for gun smithing fees to verify condition.

There are some current production DW guns from CZ USA, but they're GIGANTIC hunting guns in mega-fireball throwing uber-whompin' calibers. They'd be fine for open carry, but forget concealing it. They're almost as silly as the S&W 500 Magnum and the Ruger Alaskan.

Colt also makes some good revolvers, like the Agent, Cobra, and Python. They will be expensive though.

With regard to the list above, I have found that I prefer a 6 shooter over a 7 or 8 shooter. The reason is NOT capacity...which is nice. The 7 and 8 shot revolvers seem more difficult to reload quickly, even with moonclips. A 625 with chamferred cylinders makes for very fast reloads with round nosed 45 ACP (use CorBon Powr Ball or some sort of expanding FMJ for defense). HKS speedloaders are slower, but certainly easy to manage with a 6 shooter.

I do like the 8 shot Smith & Wesson guns for their features. The 327 TRR8 (now available with in 45 ACP with a 4 inch barrel) is a really neat gun. Some folks don't like the rails; I do because they give me options. S&W added many nice features, such as upgraded sights, trigger job, chamferred the cylinder, and so forth.

The Rugers are good guns too. I have an SP101 with 2" barrel. It's a handful with full 357 Magnum ammunition. The GP100 with 4" barrel is a work horse. It shoots well. My only gripe with Ruger revolvers is the factory trigger--it's terrible!

Be very careful with your gunsmith...make sure they have experience with revolver trigger work. My Dad's GP100 came with a trigger job...and it shows. It fails to ignite even Federal primers 100% of the time. There is more to a revolver trigger job than lightening the springs and many gunsmiths don't understand what's involved.

Also note that you'll pay a lot of money for trigger work. There are only a few good revolver smiths out there.

Marco

imported post

Not mine.:(
CCGpic2.jpg

CCGpic3.jpg

I bought a used GP100 and will be shipping it off very soon.http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

It will fire 10mm/40SW via moon clips.

There is also the SW627 in 357 mag that uses moon clips.