• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11th grader asked to write new gun law

expvideo

imported post

"It shall be a felony to use a firearm in the commission of a violent crime"

This is the only gun law that should be on the books.

gregma

imported post

expvideo wrote:

A little too ambiguous. "Violent crime"? Using a firearm in the commision of any crime I think makes it a "violent crime". Using a firearm in the commission of ANY crime I believe should be a felony. Even if it's petite larceny. IMHO

imperialism2024

imported post

gregma wrote:
expvideo wrote:

A little too ambiguous. "Violent crime"? Using a firearm in the commision of any crime I think makes it a "violent crime". Using a firearm in the commission of ANY crime I believe should be a felony. Even if it's petite larceny. IMHO
You'd also need to define "use". Otherwise if you get pulled over for 70 in a 65 and you're carrying a firearm... congrats, you're a felon.

expvideo

imported post

No, that would be possession. You did not use the firearm in the commission of your speeding violation. It played no role in that crime. WA state law says that you cannot use a device to suppress the sound of a firearm. It is completely legal in WA state to purchase, own, sell (with the right licenses), and even attach a silencer, but it is illegal to pass rounds through that silencer. There is a big difference in law between use and possession.

imperialism2024

imported post

expvideo wrote:
No, that would be possession. You did not use the firearm in the commission of your speeding violation. It played no role in that crime. WA state law says that you cannot use a device to suppress the sound of a firearm. It is completely legal in WA state to purchase, own, sell (with the right licenses), and even attach a silencer, but it is illegal to pass rounds through that silencer. There is a big difference in law between use and possession.
Fair enough. I was under the impression that if one is committing, let's say a violent felony, under the current laws, if s/he is even carrying a gun, that's grounds for saying it was used in the commission of the crime.

You would, in fact, have to define "use" to include OC, though. Essentially it would require asking the question of, "can an openly carried gun that is still holstered be intimidating"? If a guy is robbing a bank and points to the gun on his hip while threatening a teller, then surely he "used" it in the commission of the crime. But if he makes no reference at all to the gun on his hip, does that exclude him from the "while using a gun" sentence add-on?

Mind you, I'm not saying you're proposing a bad law, but it just needs to be very strictly written to protect innocent, or not-that-guilty people.

ETA: You would also want to change the penalty... if someone is committing a violent felony, I doubt that another felony is going to make much of a difference to them. Maybe some extra prison time? Maybe a longer wait until eligible for parole? Maybe a prescribed period of solitary confinement?

expvideo

imported post

He's in enough trouble anyway, that it wouldn't bother me if his lawyer was able to get him out of the gun charge. I'd rather thatthe oneperp get a break than all of us have to suffer from stupid gun laws. The road to a widespread gun ban is paved with "what ifs".

imperialism2024

imported post

expvideo wrote:
He's in enough trouble anyway, that it wouldn't bother me if his lawyer was able to get him out of the gun charge. I'd rather thatthe oneperp get a break than all of us have to suffer from stupid gun laws. The road to a widespread gun ban is paved with "what ifs".

What I'm getting at, though, is that if an OCed gun can be used as criteria for the "use" aspect of this proposed law, such as my bank robber scenario where the robber does not reference in the slightest to the OCed gun, then what prevents that definition to being applied to other, lesser crimes? Like I said, not saying it's a bad law, but just needs strict limitations.

gregma

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
expvideo wrote:
If a guy is robbing a bank and points to the gun on his hip while threatening a teller, then surely he "used" it in the commission of the crime. But if he makes no reference at all to the gun on his hip, does that exclude him from the "while using a gun" sentence add-on?
If a guy goes into a bank with a firearm in a holster in the open (which I find VERY unlikely, for some reason they *also* like to have the element of surprise...hmmmm), then they are not "using" the firearm. And if the person point "at" the gun, it is still not "use" (although more than likely in most jurisdictions would probably constitute "use").

The simple fact of carrying a firearm in the open on your side is *not* use, nor should it ever be. Regardless of the circumstances.

Use is Use, and Possession, and Possession should never be illegal. Use should also never be illegal unless used in the furtherance of a crime.

And yes, taking out a firearm and aiming it at somone is considered assault, thus would be "used in the furtherance of a crime", and that assault would them become a felony.

imperialism2024

imported post

gregma wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
expvideo wrote:
If a guy is robbing a bank and points to the gun on his hip while threatening a teller, then surely he "used" it in the commission of the crime. But if he makes no reference at all to the gun on his hip, does that exclude him from the "while using a gun" sentence add-on?
If a guy goes into a bank with a firearm in a holster in the open (which I find VERY unlikely, for some reason they *also* like to have the element of surprise...hmmmm), then they are not "using" the firearm. And if the person point "at" the gun, it is still not "use" (although more than likely in most jurisdictions would probably constitute "use").

The simple fact of carrying a firearm in the open on your side is *not* use, nor should it ever be. Regardless of the circumstances.

Use is Use, and Possession, and Possession should never be illegal. Use should also never be illegal unless used in the furtherance of a crime.

And yes, taking out a firearm and aiming it at somone is considered assault, thus would be "used in the furtherance of a crime", and that assault would them become a felony.
Sounds good.

gregma

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
expvideo wrote:

but just needs strict limitations.
And I believe video is saying that there are already "strict" limitations to "use". Thus more do not need to be made. If "Use" could be defined as simply having a firearm in a holster on your hip, then OC would be illegal in WA state, as the use of a firearm unless in Self Defense is illegal.