• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11th grader asked to write new gun law

lprgcFrank

imported post

My 11th grade daughter has a school exercise to write a new gun law (not a biased perspective from the school at all:cuss:)

She is open to rocking the boat in school and asked me to give her examples of good gun laws - She has the constitutional language from PA and VT as examples. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Frank

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Does she have time and boat-rocking room to write an entire Uniform Firearms Act?

Also,it might be fun to put in the "Whereas's" that preamble some laws. Maybe something like,

"Whereas the Commonwealth has experimented with various gun control measures, and

"Criminals ignored these laws, and

"Good people died or were injured, and

"Recognizing that disarmingcitizens is tantamount to authorizing violent crime against the person,

"This Legislature rises above partisan pandering, and enacts this UNIFORM FIREARMS ACT for the safety and well being of the People."

[align=center][/align]

Superlite27

imported post

How about going completely the other way?

Something like mandating that everyone carry a loaded firearm with them at all times for their own personal protection.

After all, if the school wants to open up directions for thought, this would definately get the diologue rolling.

If everyone were required to have a loaded firearm with them:

If you were a criminal, who would you rob?

Would 9-11 have happened if everyone on board were armed?

How many rapes would occur if every woman had a .38 in her purse?

Would road rage even exist? Would you flip someone off if you thought they might be unstable,YET KNEW THEY HAD A LOADED GUN?

Yeah. How about a law requiring everyone be armed? There's food for thought. Isn't that what they want in schools?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Also, it might be fun, and/or a good idea for Dad to look into the teacher's affiliations and find out what they intend to do with the information.

The last thing Dad would want is the school to report that Dad has some "funny" ideas about guns, and that there are guns in the house, perhaps unsecured and available to underage children, etc.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
My 11th grade daughter has a school exercise to write a new gun law (not a biased perspective from the school at all:cuss:)

She is open to rocking the boat in school and asked me to give her examples of good gun laws - She has the constitutional language from PA and VT as examples. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Frank
Does PA have a "Castle Doctrine" law on the books? If not, recommend she propose it.

Or else, maybe:

NEW:

It shall be a felony for persons outside the family to attempt to ascertain the state of firearms maintained in the household (aimed at teachers and doctors who can't keep their noses out of other people's business.

NEW:

It shall be a felony for persons to knowingly spread falsehoods about the ownership or carrying of firearms. Persons who have been informed shall be deemed to know the accuracy of the information they propagate.

I'm 100% against requiring all persons to carry loaded firearms. Some should not, though there should not be a blanket policy set by a government who does not know the people involved.

gregma

imported post

It would be fun to write a law mandating gun safety and marksmanship training as a requirement for each grade starting 5th grade until 12th grade.

Reading
Writing
Arithmatic
Marksmanship

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

j/k, I say rewrite the 2A so that there's no wiggle room to argue the original intent of the framers.

+1/2, just leave out that pesky 'militia' clause, so scummy grammer nazis can't try to screw with it.
It would be fun to write a law mandating gun safety and marksmanship training as a requirement for each grade starting 5th grade until 12th grade.

Reading
Writing
Arithmatic
Marksmanship
That would work too.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Thank you all very much for your help.

Citizen - I've already had run in's with the administration of the school when my oldest was there - long story of school administration incompetence where law enforcement was brought in inappropriately - but my issues were with the school - not the local PD.

Local law enforcement is well aware of my 'investments' and my 2nd amendment advocacy. The PA State Police maintain a database of all firearm purchases (even though it was ruled illegal) and since all of my firearms were purchased using the federal and state paperwork - they are aware of all of them. I regularly OC and the Radnor PD has always been completely professional and courteous in our dealings.

I've passed on the ideas here to my daughter - Thanks Yankees98 for the Kennesaw GA article. I'm not sure what she'll pick or if she will opt not to rock the boat. I'll let you know.

unrequited

imported post

I just thought of something... I'm guessing your daughter's school isn't zero tolerance b.s. which has gotten 1st graders expelled for drawing pictures of guns, and 8th graders arrested for writing about them?

douglama

imported post

This project could take you and your daughter some time to research. (I take it, it is for a state law)

She was asked to write a NEW gun law, Not rewrite the Constitution.

Print ALL the lawspertaining to firearms for your state and put them in a binder

The teacher and other students will be surprised, as to how many there are.

She can now write a law that is not on the books (if the other students, have the same project, she can prove tothem that, there laws are already written)

She can write a law "for or against" firearms, it is Her choice (not mine or yours)

TheLaw doesn't even have to make sense,

"All firearms manufactured, tranported through orowned, in the state of Pa. with a barrel length greater than 1 inch but no more than 63 inch, must have the barrel colored, High visababilty Lime Green, Bla Bla Bla"

j2l3

imported post

Here is a document of some interesting facts in regards to gun laws and gun control. It's a good read for all of us and might help your daughter.

Lew

imported post

How about protecting a self-defense victim from having their weapon seized?

Ooh, ban barrel shrouds! :celebrate

vinnie

imported post

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Go with a classic. Make sure she can defend it.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:

Frank
Frank,

Since this is OPENCARRY.ORG, why don't we amend the Uniform Firearms Act to allow lawful open carry in cities of the first class (ie. Philadelphia). I have attached a pdf of a bill that I drafted to do this very thing. Perhaps it would be a good place to start.

PS. The Bill # 777 is just a place-holder, when a patron actually introduces a bill, Legislative Services assigns it a number.

John

Attachments

• Philly.pdf
    6.5 KB · Views: 174