• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pizza deliverer to get 1 gun back after 2 were taken.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=691963
The pizza delivery driver who shot two would-be robbers in seven months was allowed to get one of his two seized Beretta pistols back Friday.

After shooting one assailant in July 2006, Andres Vegas had one gun seized and was warned he would face prosecution if he continued to carry a pistol in his car in Milwaukee's central city.

He shot a second would-be robber in January. That gun was confiscated, too, and prosecutors charged him with concealing a handgun, a misdemeanor. However, Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Daniel A. Noonan said the statute violated Vegas' constitutional right to carry a gun for self-defense and threw the case out in September.

Circuit Judge Jeffrey A. Kremers reached a different conclusion Friday after Vegas asked for both guns back. Kremers said Vegas could reclaim the gun from the case Noonan threw out, but in the other shooting - which was never prosecuted - Kremers found Vegas was carrying the gun illegally and declined to return it.

"I am not prepared, nor am I inclined, to find the statute unconstitutional" in that case, Kremers said.

Vegas' attorney Craig Mastantuono said he may appeal and called the idea that Vegas couldn't carry a gun for self-protection "nonsensical" because of the danger of his job and the fact that he has been robbed four times.

"We have a constitutional amendment, and people's rights within that amendment are defined differently by both judges and prosecutors," Mastantuono said.
A black-skirted fogey that needs to be turned out - in a couple of senses.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

Thundar

imported post

Let me understand this. Men with badges take away your guns. A man in black robes says you have a constitutional right to carry a gun,you are not convicted of any crime. Another man in black robes refuses to order return of one gun???WTF???