• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC-er in AZ, got a few questions!

feflicker

imported post

1) When in your vehicle, where is the "best" place to put the weapon in terms of LEO and making sure the weapon is not construed as CC'd? I'm worried that leaving the gun holstered could be interpreted as "concealing" because when you are sitting in a carpeople outside the vehiclecan't really see something on your waist. As such, I remove my holster currently and place theholstered weaponon my passenger seat. However, this means other people in the vehicle (back seat, etc) could get access to the weapon. What's the best way to deal with this? Removing the holster every time isn't exactly the preferred solution... I just want to be safe legallywhile OC'ing and driving!

2) Where do you leave the weapon when you need to enter an establishment that prohibits firearms? Glovebox? Under seat? I want to make sure I am following the law...

3) Is taking your holster off your belt and placing the holstered weapon into your vehicle a good idea? Could people interpret that as "brandishing" since you arestowing the firearm in plain sight? (Removing your holstered weapon in public)

4) Am I allowed to have the holstered weapon in a range bag on the way back/forth from the range, or is that considered "concealing"? What if the bag/case has a lock on it? What if the weapon is in a locked case, inside a range bag?

5) (Rhetorical)Why can't lawmakers write laws that are CLEAR. Reading the ARS leaves so much ambiguity it's insane. It's sad when a law abiding citizen can't even get this information straight from the criminal code imo...

Thanks in advance for any information!

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey there !
I just tell the LEO when they approach the vehicle first thing, that I have a firearm in a holster on my side, and ask how they would like to handle the situation. 100% of the time I was commended for being so up front and honest about it. They were very cool about it.

PS. 98% of the time I got off with a warning!!!!

For all of your other questions, my answer would be " Get a CCW permit and all bases are covered." It is like taking out an insurance policy for the gun laws.

Happy OC'ing
Tony

feflicker

imported post

Yes, eventually I want a CCW, but for now I want to understand the law here in AZ so that I can OC and be legal. Thanks for the info dreamcro.

feflicker

imported post

I am still curious about the answers to these questions if anyone knows them :question::dude: