• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ron Paul won straw poll in Virginia

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

John Hager is the Chairman of the VA Republican Party. His son was also engaged to Jenna Bush. Read his quote in the article below from the Richmond Times Dispatch. What would he have done if could have planned for it.

Arlington, VA - Ron Paul won an informal straw poll of Virginia Republicans Saturday at the state party's annual weekend retreat.

The Texas congressman got 182 of the 479 ballots cast, or 38 percent. Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson finished second with 112 votes, with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee third with 51.

Dozens of noisy Paul followers packed the late afternoon speeches by proxies for the candidates in a suburban Washington, D.C., hotel and the voting afterward.

"They weren't here yesterday," said state GOP chairman John Hager. About 700 Republican activists registered for the Friday and Saturday event. "We had no indication until around 3 o'clock that this would happen."

Mitt Romney got 43 votes, Sen. John McCain got 23, California congressman Duncan Hunter got 19 and Colorado congressman Tom Tancredo finished with four votes.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Cite? :)

Just looking for the link, that's all.

Seems like a fairly insignificant number of sample voters, though...

Depends on what popluation you want to make inferences from the sample. 479 is a pretty good size sample.

n is OK, I'd say.

But what population is it a sample from? Not citizens...not Republican citizens...not Republican ciitizens likely to vote in the Republican primary...

The sample is obviously hopelessly un-generalizable to anything useful. That's clear.

I do wonder about two things:

1. Why did 1/3 of the registrants not vote?

2. How did Tancredo get as many as 4 votes?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Cite? :)

Just looking for the link, that's all.

Seems like a fairly insignificant number of sample voters, though...

Depends on what popluation you want to make inferences from the sample. 479 is a pretty good size sample.

n is OK, I'd say.

But what population is it a sample from? Not citizens...not Republican citizens...not Republican ciitizens likely to vote in the Republican primary...

The sample is obviously hopelessly un-generalizable to anything useful. That's clear.

I do wonder about two things:

1. Why did 1/3 of the registrants not vote?

2. How did Tancredo get as many as 4 votes?
Exactly... This will not continue.