• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Selecting A Handgun

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Silverfox44 wrote:
Thanks for the article on the S&W 1911.:D

Consider the S&W line of 1911s. They're very good. Sweeney gave them a good write-up in the book you cited. (Page 320)

Some people think that S&W is relatively new to the 1911 product category. But, for a long while, they've been making major forgings, including slides,for several other gun manufacturers. Inccluding Kimber.

The quality is good, they shoot well, and they look good.

just_a_car

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Water Buffalo, There is a place in Oregon that run these on about 4000 acres. $1500 for a meat animal and $2500 for a trophy.

Hell, I can go there 10 times for the price of one trip to Africa.

Yeah, 45/90...566gr cast bullet (30:1) 92 grains 2ffg Black Powder, 1440 fps =

2464 ft# at the muzzle Almost as much as my 50/70 Sharps
Jim
Oh... and I thought I was joking about the Kodiak Bear or Water Buffalo; hehe. :lol:

That sounds like fun... when I'm a little more wealthy, I'll have to check them out.

expvideo

imported post

Silverfox44 wrote:
I am currently reading the Gun Digest Book Volume (2) of the 1911 by P Sweeney. very in depth on the Use, Care, Repair etc, etc, of the 1911. While @ a recent Gun Show I was told look no further than Kimber or Springfield when purchasing a 1911. I have started the process but would appreciate help in deciding which model is best for carry. Thanks
I'm surprised no one has told you to get a glock yet.

CC27

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Water Buffalo, There is a place in Oregon that run these on about 4000 acres. $1500 for a meat animal and $2500 for a trophy.

Hell, I can go there 10 times for the price of one trip to Africa.

Yeah, 45/90...566gr cast bullet (30:1) 92 grains 2ffg Black Powder, 1440 fps =

2464 ft# at the muzzle Almost as much as my 50/70 Sharps
Jim
Can you please give me the contact info for this place? Thanks

hobobrent

imported post

Springfield Armory mil-spec 1911. It's relatively cheap, shoots better than you do. (no offense intended but saying the gun is plenty accurate) Put the rest of your dough into a set of nice grips, a holster, and lots and lots of range trips. IMO.

I like shooting "hopped up" 1911's (factory or 'smithed) but every operator I've known says that's they way to go for a shooter. A little looser specs keeps the gun more reliable (to a degree) and most willagree that a comfortable grip will make your shooting much more natural and accurate.

Of course, I'm a youngster so wut do I know? If anybody disagree's feel free to lemme have it!

MetalChris

imported post

hobobrent wrote:
...every operator I've known says that's they way to go...
Hmm...That's not what all the "operators" that I talked to say. Delta, SAS, Spetsnaz, SEALs, Marine Recon...

I know more operators than you know! :uhoh:

:banghead:

MetalChris

imported post

glocknroll wrote:
USAF_MetalChris wrote:
hobobrent wrote:
Hmm...That's not what all the "operators" that I talked to say. Delta, SAS, Spetsnaz, SEALs, Marine Recon...

You PJ?

LoL no, I just think it's funny that someone is talking about knowing "operators." Maybe he does, but I seriously doubt it. :)

I'm just a lowly 3C. :)

glocknroll

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
glocknroll wrote:
USAF_MetalChris wrote:
hobobrent wrote:

You PJ?

LoL no, I just think it's funny that someone is talking about knowing "operators." Maybe he does, but I seriously doubt it. :)

I'm just a lowly 3C. :)
Nothing lowly about honorable service to your country.

Marco

imported post

Wish somebody told me that when I was scrubbing toilets and driving a floor buffer for freedom.
:lol::lol:
Or policing cigarette butts and cutting grass with a sickel

casullshooter

imported post

I own and love my Para S14-45 (stainless 1911) 15 rounds of .45ACP ready to roll, making a backup Mag. less necessary. It also has many features of more expensive Mfgs. Check paraord.com to see the entire line.

Joe Cool

imported post

All the advice to shoot everything and anything considered is spot on.
On paper there were two or three I should have liked... a 9 mm Glock, a 357 wheelgun, and a 10 mm auto, none of which compared to a Kimber 1911 SS in 45ACP.
Once I shot that I knew I had found my pistol ... Notice I did not say the gun.
Everyone is different and the best advice I got was to shoot them all and pick what you will like, shoot often and practice with regularly....
Not to say I would not like to own some of the others I shot, several of which I heard mentioned here. Someday I would love to own a really nice wheelgun and even one of those high-cap 9mm. The Beretta 92FS was fun and I enjoyed shooting it immensely. Same goes for an S&W revolver I shot. The Kimber 1911 just felt better to me and I get a big grin on my face after every trip to the range with it.

Have fun and be safe!
Joe C.