• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have you ever been mistaken for a police officer while OCing?

tattedupboy

imported post

I'm just curious as to whether anyone on this board has ever been mistaken for a police officer while OCing. I work as a security officer and the only time I ever OC is at work, but I found it kind of amusing earlier today when I went to a seafood joint next to the check cashing store where I work earlier today and saw on my receipt that I had been given a police discount. Anyone have any similar stories?

unrequited

imported post

All the time, but I make it a point to correct them. I don't understand that though, because I'm not that physically fit or tall, but I guess it's because there are so many gov' agencies where I live people assume I work for one of 'em.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
I'm just curious as to whether anyone on this board has ever been mistaken for a police officer while OCing. I work as a security officer and the only time I ever OC is at work, but I found it kind of amusing earlier today when I went to a seafood joint next to the check cashing store where I work earlier today and saw on my receipt that I had been given a police discount. Anyone have any similar stories?
Yes, I got the same discount at the White Castle connected to speedway on calumet Ave.

First time I didn't noticed until after the fact, I corrected them afterwards, but they still give it to me...??

Is that the "shark's" seafood place over by IUN?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I think it's safe to say that it happens on a regular basis to most everyone on this forum. There are a lot of people that don't know (or ignore the fact) that LEOs aren't the only people allowed to have a gun. Myself and others on here have been asked the "Are you a LEO?" question quite a few times.

Often, it seems that the person asking this question is looking for reassurance that we're allowed to have a gun. They think (either through twisted logic or just not knowing any better) that only LEOs should have guns. Other times they're honestly just curious and LE is the first thing that comes to their mind when they see a gun.

I've never had anything like what you descibed happen in reference to my gun, but I DID get a military discount on my meal one day because of my haircut even though I had already gotten out of the Corps (hadn't had time to grow my hair out yet, haha).

tattedupboy

imported post

openryan wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:
Yes, I got the same discount at the White Castle connected to speedway on calumet Ave.

First time I didn't noticed until after the fact, I corrected them afterwards, but they still give it to me...??

No, and you probably think that the check cashing store I'm referring to is the one on the corner of Broadway and Ridge Road. Actually, I work at the check cashing store on the corner of 5th and Clark Road and the Seafood joint to which I'm referring is Ray's, which is directly behind it.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
openryan wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:

No, and you probably think that the check cashing store I'm referring to is the one on the corner of Broadway and Ridge Road. Actually, I work at the check cashing store on the corner of 5th and Clark Road and the Seafood joint to which I'm referring is Ray's, which is directly behind it.
That near 5th and broadway...?

Never heard of Ray's before, that sharks is pretty new though I think, there is one in hammond too, I believe.

I don't get past the overpass going north on broadway, unless it is to NIPSCO.

tattedupboy

imported post

openryan wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:
openryan wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:

That near 5th and broadway...?

Never heard of Ray's before, that sharks is pretty new though I think, there is one in hammond too, I believe.

I don't get past the overpass going north on broadway, unless it is to NIPSCO.

Nope. Clark Road is on the far west side of the city near Cline Avenue.

VAopencarry

imported post

I received a LEO discount at Fuddrucker's once. I noodled it through quickly when the guy pointed out to me he gave me a discount. I didn't want to hassle with it and said nothing. However, Citizen, who was behind me, started asking him why he thought I was a cop etc. didn't really hear how the conversation turned out as I walked away.

molonlabetn

imported post

The "Are you a cop" question is by farthe most common one I get, if anything is said at all. perhaps a dozen times in the last 5 years.

Never gotten a discount though... oh well... maybe I need tovisit Krispy Kreme.

danbus

imported post

When I had long hair, people asked me what I did for a living. Once someone thought I was a bounty hunter.

After I cut my hair, I get "are you a cop?" from time to time. Only once and I don't know why, buta mechanic thought I was an FBI agent when he asked me what did I do and I told him "nothing".

expvideo

imported post

I get the "are you a cop" question a lot, but I also have asked it. If I see someone OCing (which is very rare), I usually want to go up and thank them for exercising that right (since a right unexercised is a right lost), but if they're a cop I don't really care to talk to them.

imperialism2024

imported post

danbus wrote:
When I had long hair, people asked me what I did for a living. Once someone thought I was a bounty hunter.

After I cut my hair, I get "are you a cop?" from time to time. Only once and I don't know why, buta mechanic thought I was an FBI agent when he asked me what did I do and I told him "nothing".
LMFAO :lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I received a LEO discount at Fuddrucker's once. I noodled it through quickly when the guy pointed out to me he gave me a discount. I didn't want to hassle with it and said nothing. However, Citizen, who was behind me, started asking him why he thought I was a cop etc. didn't really hear how the conversation turned out as I walked away.
That's NOT the way I remember it! :)

I think I asked if he gave you a police discount.

All who witnessed noticed I did my job as a 2A activist and explained to the cashier that we were just ordinary citizens, etc. etc. :)

I was mistaken for a police detective last summer. Boy, was that insulting! Do I really look that old?

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Only once has someone asked me if I was a LEO while I was OC... and that was a kid who lives across the street from me. He probably thought I was 'casue the guy who lived downstairs in my building was a LEO.

I did have someone think I was a LEO when I was CC and my shirt got pulled up - it was in a restaraunt and 5 or 6 year old kid said, quite loudly "Look mommy, that man has a gun". The mother shushed him up telling him that I was a police officer.

FOr the most part around here, most people jsut glance and go about their business.

I do occationally get the person who can't keep their eyes off of it though. Now I understand how big-breasted women feel! :lol: :quirky

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

lildobe wrote:
Only once has someone asked me if I was a LEO while I was OC... and that was a kid who lives across the street from me. He probably thought I was 'casue the guy who lived downstairs in my building was a LEO.

I did have someone think I was a LEO when I was CC and my shirt got pulled up - it was in a restaraunt and 5 or 6 year old kid said, quite loudly "Look mommy, that man has a gun". The mother shushed him up telling him that I was a police officer.

FOr the most part around here, most people jsut glance and go about their business.

I do occationally get the person who can't keep their eyes off of it though. Now I understand how big-breasted women feel! :lol: :quirky
Yeah, people always staring at their hips... must be horrible :p

imperialism2024

imported post

openryan wrote:
lildobe wrote:

Staring at his hips? Surely lildobe means that he feels like a big-breasted elderly woman. :shock:

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
openryan wrote:
lildobe wrote:
Staring at his hips? Surely lildobe means that he feels like a big-breasted elderly woman. :shock:
Well, I was getting more at the whole "staring at a predominant physical feature rather then at your face in a conversation"

I guess I should have worded that better :p

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I've been asked quite a few times if I am a LEO. Most people assume that if you have a gun, then you are a LEO.

expvideo

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I've been asked quite a few times if I am a LEO. Most people assume that if you have a gun, then you are a LEO.

In "Live Free or Die Hard", McClain shows his badge to the hacker and he mocks the badge, saying "What did you get that at toys'r'us?". McClain opens his jacket to reveal his holstered Sig P220, to which the hacker responds "Oh, that looks pretty real" and determines that McCain really is a cop.

It seems that a lot of people believe that if you have a gun, even concealed, you must be a cop. A holster drives the point home. Why would a non-leo have a nice holster?