Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Met another OC today with a neat idea

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    My wife, Granddaughter and I went to Tacoma today, and stopped at the Subway shop in Gig Harbor.

    As I was leaving the Subway, an individual approached me and said I see you're carrying open. I replied in the affirmative and he gave me a simple look and started to speak with ASL (American sign language) My wife knowsASL and she translated for me.

    "I cannot speak, so this card will answer all of your questions."

    The card said:

    "The Washington state constitution guarantees my right to carry a firearm in the open so long as it does not conflict with Washington Law."

    On the back of the card were the appropriate RCW's.

    He does speak very well and found this to be an effective way to deal with the questions, particularly with LEO.

    I unfortunately did not get his name, But I'll bet that I'll see him again.

    Jim

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    It looks like you finally saw a unicorn! Good to see you're out and about, I'm still stuck in my house with all this God-forsaken snow.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    Yeah, no snow down that way, just rain.

    I started to tell him about the forum and he said he lurks but has not signed in yet.

    Carried a Walther ppk.

    Jim

  4. #4
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Awesome encounter there... Hopefully he joins up so we can say 'hi'.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Very nice encounter!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    How did you even see him open carrying a Walther PPK?! I'm just kidding. Seriously though, I hope he signs up. We need more active OC'ers in Kitsap County!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Moscow, ID
    Posts
    218

    Post imported post

    So he pretends to be mute so he doesn't have to get in a verbal exchange over OC? That's it right? Huh. Interesting technique!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    570

    Post imported post

    Lew wrote:
    So he pretends to be mute so he doesn't have to get in a verbal exchange over OC? That's it right? Huh. Interesting technique!
    Many deaf people can talk to some extent, I am pretty good at ASL but I don't get a lot of practice anymore.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532

    Post imported post

    WT...?

  10. #10
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    Lew wrote:
    So he pretends to be mute so he doesn't have to get in a verbal exchange over OC? That's it right? Huh. Interesting technique!
    I think that's pretty uncalled for.....I find itvery rude in fact. :X The guy is deaf, and why would you say he's faking it? Just because someone is deaf doesn't mean they can't speak. They may have a harder time at it, and hence communicating by written words works better than speaking. It has nothing to do with avoiding anything, I'm sure....

    I met a guy at the ARCO on Puyallup Ave down by the Port of Tacoma a while back and he noticed me carrying, and we got in a discussion; he said he sometimes open carried but was not aware of the forums. I gave him the address to here, but not sure if he ever signed up. More and more people are OCing, and it's surprising to see how many are doing it on their own without coming to the forum first, or even looking on the Internet.....wonder why that is, if it has to do with those of us OCing being seen more often, or something else?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Redmond, Washington, USA
    Posts
    618

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    Lew wrote:
    So he pretends to be mute so he doesn't have to get in a verbal exchange over OC? That's it right? Huh. Interesting technique!
    I think that's pretty uncalled for.....I find itvery rude in fact. :X
    Of course I don't know for sure, but for people who only get their info from TV, and the Deaf (not deaf), you'd have to be really involved with the deaf community to know the difference One might easily think that the deaf can not speak at all.

    The fact however is that many of the deaf can "voice". And a lot can read lips as well. In fact those who choose to assimilate in the hearing world choose to do so. That is changing however, and finding a deaf person who can voice is becoming rarer and rarer. Ask me about it at the next gathering if you're really interested in why. It's WAY off topic for here.

  12. #12
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    A real, live unicorn. I have yet to see one, but I'm keeping my eyes open for them!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886

    Post imported post

    G27 wrote:
    How did you even see him open carrying a Walther PPK?! I'm just kidding. Seriously though, I hope he signs up. We need more active OC'ers in Kitsap County!
    I'm sure you know this, but Gig Harbor is still Pierce County. So I hope he signs up, because WE need more active OC'ers in Pierce County!!! :celebrate

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    I'm sure you know this, but Gig Harbor is still Pierce County. So I hope he signs up, because WE need more active OC'ers in Pierce County!!! :celebrate
    I like to pretend that Pierce county doesn't invade my beautiful peninsula.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    Compmanio365

    This individual was NOT deaf nor Mute. He uses this idea to abruptly end a confrontation with LEO, or other obnoxious individuals.

    Jim

  16. #16
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Troy, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:

    I think that's pretty uncalled for.....I find itvery rude in fact. :X The guy is deaf, and why would you say he's faking it? Just because someone is deaf doesn't mean they can't speak. They may have a harder time at it, and hence communicating by written words works better than speaking. It has nothing to do with avoiding anything, I'm sure....

    I met a guy at the ARCO on Puyallup Ave down by the Port of Tacoma a while back and he noticed me carrying, and we got in a discussion; he said he sometimes open carried but was not aware of the forums. I gave him the address to here, but not sure if he ever signed up. More and more people are OCing, and it's surprising to see how many are doing it on their own without coming to the forum first, or even looking on the Internet.....wonder why that is, if it has to do with those of us OCing being seen more often, or something else?
    I think you are being a little too sensitive there chief. It's pretty obvious that in Trigger Dr.'s original post that the guy was clearly faking it. I hope I'm not the only one picking up on this (besides Lew).



    EDITED TO ADD: Oops. And while I was typing my response, Mr. Dr (that's wierd) clarified what I was sure of.

  17. #17
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    OK, I didn't pick that up from the post at all.......but if that's the case, then I don't really agree with that stance at all.....faking deafness to get out of having to deal with someone who doesn't understand your OC. If you can't explain why you OC to someone without playing some game, you need to reconsider your reason for why you OC; hint: it shouldn't be just to play games with people or to make them uncomfortable with you.

    Now, I've dealt with some people who just don't get it, or they want to argue. The conversation ends with, "Sorry you don't agree with my choice of carry, but since it is my right to do so, and I am not causing any harm to anyone else, I will continue to do so. I suggest we agree to disagree, and go about our separate business." Playing games to make someone think you are deaf when you are not is pretty childish in my opinion, and not the image we should be portraying to others when we OC. Just my two cents.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    OK, I didn't pick that up from the post at all.......but if that's the case, then I don't really agree with that stance at all.....faking deafness to get out of having to deal with someone who doesn't understand your OC. If you can't explain why you OC to someone without playing some game, you need to reconsider your reason for why you OC; hint: it shouldn't be just to play games with people or to make them uncomfortable with you.

    Now, I've dealt with some people who just don't get it, or they want to argue. The conversation ends with, "Sorry you don't agree with my choice of carry, but since it is my right to do so, and I am not causing any harm to anyone else, I will continue to do so. I suggest we agree to disagree, and go about our separate business." Playing games to make someone think you are deaf when you are not is pretty childish in my opinion, and not the image we should be portraying to others when we OC. Just my two cents.
    +1. Couldn't have said it better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •