• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Met another OC today with a neat idea

Trigger Dr

imported post

My wife, Granddaughter and I went to Tacoma today, and stopped at the Subway shop in Gig Harbor.

As I was leaving the Subway, an individual approached me and said I see you're carrying open. I replied in the affirmative and he gave me a simple look and started to speak with ASL (American sign language) My wife knowsASL and she translated for me.

"I cannot speak, so this card will answer all of your questions."

The card said:

"The Washington state constitution guarantees my right to carry a firearm in the open so long as it does not conflict with Washington Law."

On the back of the card were the appropriate RCW's.

He does speak very well and found this to be an effective way to deal with the questions, particularly with LEO.

I unfortunately did not get his name, But I'll bet that I'll see him again.

Jim

Trigger Dr

imported post

Yeah, no snow down that way, just rain.

I started to tell him about the forum and he said he lurks but has not signed in yet.

Carried a Walther ppk.

Jim

G27

imported post

How did you even see him open carrying a Walther PPK?! :lol: I'm just kidding. Seriously though, I hope he signs up. We need more active OC'ers in Kitsap County!

Lew

imported post

So he pretends to be mute so he doesn't have to get in a verbal exchange over OC? That's it right? Huh. Interesting technique!

Agent 47

imported post

Lew wrote:
So he pretends to be mute so he doesn't have to get in a verbal exchange over OC? That's it right? Huh. Interesting technique!
Many deaf people can talk to some extent, I am pretty good at ASL but I don't get a lot of practice anymore.

compmanio365

imported post

Lew wrote:

I think that's pretty uncalled for.....I find itvery rude in fact. :X The guy is deaf, and why would you say he's faking it? Just because someone is deaf doesn't mean they can't speak. They may have a harder time at it, and hence communicating by written words works better than speaking. It has nothing to do with avoiding anything, I'm sure....

I met a guy at the ARCO on Puyallup Ave down by the Port of Tacoma a while back and he noticed me carrying, and we got in a discussion; he said he sometimes open carried but was not aware of the forums. I gave him the address to here, but not sure if he ever signed up. More and more people are OCing, and it's surprising to see how many are doing it on their own without coming to the forum first, or even looking on the Internet.....wonder why that is, if it has to do with those of us OCing being seen more often, or something else?

gregma

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Lew wrote:

I think that's pretty uncalled for.....I find itvery rude in fact. :X
Of course I don't know for sure, but for people who only get their info from TV, and the Deaf (not deaf), you'd have to be really involved with the deaf community to know the difference :) One might easily think that the deaf can not speak at all.

The fact however is that many of the deaf can "voice". And a lot can read lips as well. In fact those who choose to assimilate in the hearing world choose to do so. That is changing however, and finding a deaf person who can voice is becoming rarer and rarer. Ask me about it at the next gathering if you're really interested in why. It's WAY off topic for here. :)

dng

State Researcher
imported post

A real, live unicorn. I have yet to see one, but I'm keeping my eyes open for them!

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

G27 wrote:
How did you even see him open carrying a Walther PPK?! :lol: I'm just kidding. Seriously though, I hope he signs up. We need more active OC'ers in Kitsap County!
I'm sure you know this, but Gig Harbor is still Pierce County. So I hope he signs up, because WE need more active OC'ers in Pierce County!!! :celebrate

G27

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I'm sure you know this, but Gig Harbor is still Pierce County. So I hope he signs up, because WE need more active OC'ers in Pierce County!!! :celebrate
I like to pretend that Pierce county doesn't invade my beautiful peninsula. :lol:

Trigger Dr

imported post

Compmanio365

This individual was NOT deaf nor Mute. He uses this idea to abruptly end a confrontation with LEO, or other obnoxious individuals.

Jim

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I think that's pretty uncalled for.....I find itvery rude in fact. :X The guy is deaf, and why would you say he's faking it? Just because someone is deaf doesn't mean they can't speak. They may have a harder time at it, and hence communicating by written words works better than speaking. It has nothing to do with avoiding anything, I'm sure....

I met a guy at the ARCO on Puyallup Ave down by the Port of Tacoma a while back and he noticed me carrying, and we got in a discussion; he said he sometimes open carried but was not aware of the forums. I gave him the address to here, but not sure if he ever signed up. More and more people are OCing, and it's surprising to see how many are doing it on their own without coming to the forum first, or even looking on the Internet.....wonder why that is, if it has to do with those of us OCing being seen more often, or something else?

I think you are being a little too sensitive there chief. It's pretty obvious that in Trigger Dr.'s original post that the guy was clearly faking it. I hope I'm not the only one picking up on this (besides Lew).

EDITED TO ADD: Oops. And while I was typing my response, Mr. Dr (that's wierd) clarified what I was sure of.

compmanio365

imported post

OK, I didn't pick that up from the post at all.......but if that's the case, then I don't really agree with that stance at all.....faking deafness to get out of having to deal with someone who doesn't understand your OC. If you can't explain why you OC to someone without playing some game, you need to reconsider your reason for why you OC; hint: it shouldn't be just to play games with people or to make them uncomfortable with you.

Now, I've dealt with some people who just don't get it, or they want to argue. The conversation ends with, "Sorry you don't agree with my choice of carry, but since it is my right to do so, and I am not causing any harm to anyone else, I will continue to do so. I suggest we agree to disagree, and go about our separate business." Playing games to make someone think you are deaf when you are not is pretty childish in my opinion, and not the image we should be portraying to others when we OC. Just my two cents.

G27

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
OK, I didn't pick that up from the post at all.......but if that's the case, then I don't really agree with that stance at all.....faking deafness to get out of having to deal with someone who doesn't understand your OC. If you can't explain why you OC to someone without playing some game, you need to reconsider your reason for why you OC; hint: it shouldn't be just to play games with people or to make them uncomfortable with you.

Now, I've dealt with some people who just don't get it, or they want to argue. The conversation ends with, "Sorry you don't agree with my choice of carry, but since it is my right to do so, and I am not causing any harm to anyone else, I will continue to do so. I suggest we agree to disagree, and go about our separate business." Playing games to make someone think you are deaf when you are not is pretty childish in my opinion, and not the image we should be portraying to others when we OC. Just my two cents.
+1. Couldn't have said it better.