• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Testing the effects of pepper juice (spray)

AbNo

imported post

So, I'm considering getting some tabasco-brand self-defense for the paper I'm working on, to demonstrate the "effectiveness" of it.

I'm also looking for a weaker, junk brand, because, well, I'm not entirely an idiot.

Maybe I'll just use it as a condiment for a snack while I present my paper. :lol:

Seriously though, any (specific) junk brands of spray would be nice.

Particulalrly something I can get at a local store.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Are you using this for like a presentation? Or just so that you know first hand the effects, and can write about it?

They do make inert formulas, that are strictly for practice, and have no effects...

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Is the paper on sprays in general? If so, go with CN, it is the weaker of the 3 types... OC is more effective.

I've gotten both CN and OC in the mouth/eyes before, CN (mace) would be the one I would prefer if I was a criminal...

EDIT: I'm really not sure how it would work, but a lot of spray's use water as a carrier... perhaps if you got some CN/OC and sprayed it into a bucket with some water to dilute it, then put that into a spray bottle? Might not look as "cool" but they do make tiny spray bottles, you could print a "label" on your pc and make it look more real...

AbNo

imported post

For the presentation.

I'm not looking for inert, but I'd like to point out that spray is pretty damned ineffective.

Also, CN?

Don't use an abbreviation without defining it! :p

Lew

imported post

CN is the old stuff. Man made. Irritant. Stands for some long chemical.

Okay, looked it up: alphachloroacetaphenone
Catchy, ain't it?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:
For the presentation.

I'm not looking for inert, but I'd like to point out that spray is pretty damned ineffective.

Also, CN?

Don't use an abbreviation without defining it! :p
I don't think it is necessarily, ineffective, with any self defense weapon, it is always wise for the user to know the benefits, risks, so on and so forth.

The big thing amongst the 3 most popular types of sprays, is that they can be very ineffective against drug users, drunks, and certain people that have almost no perception of pain. Some of the sprays can work very, very well under the ideal conditions.

At least to me, and from people that I know that exclusively carry "mace" or another type of spray (oc), is that they think it has no faults, and that it is effective on all types of people, which just isn't true. Even in a lot of movies you see people getting sprayed, and within instants the attacker goes down and is incapacitated, it is hard to duplicate this result in real life...

Another thing I have noticed is that a lot of the women who carry a spray keep it in their purse, where they also keep keys, tampons, kleenex, makeup, cell phone, breathmints, gum, mirror, brush, perfume, organizer, pens, wallet, ipod, etc... I don't understand how a woman thinks that if an attacker comes up to them, that they will have time to dig around in their purse for a small can of spray...:?

Anyway, here is something that might come in helpful in your research. Maybe you can share the paper when you are done eh?

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]CN
CN contains alphachloroacetaphenone, a man made chemical. The original manufacturer of the formula, Smith & Wesson (MACE), rarely made it available for use to the public, choosing instead to sell it exclusively to law enforcement agencies. CN is a fast acting irritant that usually takes from 3 to 10 seconds to take effect. It is the weakest of the 3 popular spray chemicals. CN is an irritant and works on both skin and mucous membranes. This particular chemical causes a sharp burning sensation that will last about 30 minutes to an hour. If the individual is numb to this pain due to drugs, alcohol or adrenaline, he or she will not feel the pain. Also CN may take as long as 3 to 4 days to fully dissipate. CN has a shelf life of up to 3 years.
[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]CS
The other formula for tear gas is orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile, or CS for short. It, like CN, also acts as an irritant to the skin and eyes and will more than likely not work on people who are “hyped-up”. CS is a much stronger chemical than CN but can take much longer to work. In some cases, it can take up to 10, 20, or even 30 seconds or more to work. CS has a five year shelf life. Both CN and CS are man-made chemicals and have been identified as possible toxic agents. Both have short shelf lives and not both can cause long-term skin irritations and toxic reactions. CN has been proven to be less effective than CS against known attackers.
[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]OC
Oleoresin capsicum is a derivative of hot peppers and is the newest popular defensive spray agent. It is not an irritant like the tear gasses, but an inflammatory agent. Contact with mucous membranes (eyes, nose, throat and lungs), will cause immediate dilation of the capillaries of the eyes resulting in temporary blindness and instant inflammation of the breathing tube tissues, cutting off all but life support breathing. OC will not deteriorate with age and unlike the tear gasses, will not cause any lasting effects. Because it is an inflammatory rather than an irritant, OC is effective against all those who feel no pain, such as psychotics, drunks and drug abusers. OC is also replacing the tear gas products in the law enforcement community. This is directly due to the fact that OC is more effective, less toxic and exposes the user to less liability. OC is taking the place of more drastic use-of-force methods, so fewer police are being injured, and fewer suspects are being injured by police.
[/font]

unrequited

imported post

My father is starting to build up a resistance to low-power OC because he uses something called Sinus Buster:
http://www.sinusbuster.com/howitworks/index.html

It's for chronic sinus pain and it works but when you first start using it, it's supposed to hurt something fierce. Never had the guts to try it.

I wouldn't suggest you spray ANYTHING into your eyes for a class project... but if you do, get video.

Marco

imported post

Have fun:lol:.

want me to spray you:D

My mother wanted some so I tried it out on myself:(.
None made me stop in my tracks but the OC was unpleasant to say the least, might allow someone time to evade/escape.
My mother finally selected a Taurus .380 SA and got her CCW.

I personally believe they have to many cons and not enough pros.
However if this is someone's only option.

be sure to have cool running water on hand

dng

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
I wouldn't suggest you spray ANYTHING into your eyes for a class project... but if you do, get video.
It will be the number 1 video on YouTube. It might even beat out RP's video network. :D

AbNo

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Have fun:lol:.

want me to spray you:D

My mother wanted some so I tried it out on myself:(.
None made me stop in my tracks but the OC was unpleasant to say the least, might allow someone time to evade/escape.
My mother finally selected a Taurus .380 SA and got her CCW.

I personally believe they have to many cons and not enough pros.
However if this is someone's only option.

be sure to have cool running water on hand

Oh, I just plan on (possibly) using this for demonstration purposes.

I'm in the ".4x club" when it comes to carrying. :D

Milk is actually a better thing to have ready.

Then again, I'm sure with some vaseline on your face, a pair of cheap shades, and not breathing in, this stuff would have almost zero effect on someone, compared to its low success rate, anyway.

Tomahawk

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Because although we may feel some concern for your well being, in the end there's nothing like watching a home-made episode of Jack Ass on youtube! :celebrate

Superlite27

imported post

I don't know if you've seen the latest videotaped cop killing, but it shows an officer boxing in what looks like a Toyota Celica. The officer then walks up to the driver's window and sprays a very healthy dose of some type of spray into the driver's window, then walking away.

The driver reponds by sticking a pistol out the window and popping off rounds in the officer's direction. The officer was killed by one or more of these shots. Evidently, this so-called "incapacitating" agent isn't so incapacitating.

It proves something I've always believed:

Non-lethaldefense methods fail tokill people who are trying to kill you.

Bringing OC to a gunfight is just as bad as bringing a knife to a gunfight. You bring your CS, or OC, or PU, or whatever spray......

.......I'm sticking with my .45.