• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goings on in Marysville

Misguided Child

imported post

6:45 am sound asleep. no scanner needed;

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, POLICE, SEARCH WARRANT! OPEN THE DOOR! 3 times. I was wide awake after the first one. Then a woman opened the door, they got her down, then broke out a couple windows to expedite their search.

Not my house, just the neighbors being raided. I knewthey were a bit shady with all their late night traffic. Especially with the cars that just stop by for a few minutes. The PD brought in a large truck that sounded like it was a garbage truck and parked it on the front lawn, they used it to process evidence they pulled out of the house.

I had my .40 and spare mag. but this really made me wonder if I have enough firepower in the house. If this had been some pissed off customers or other dealers, how much gunfire might I get coming my way? MPD knows the house well (I've had a couple discussions with them about the place) But would a posse of rivals coming up from Everett possibly make a mistake?

What do you guys think, is a shotgun or AR a good backup in the house? I have always thought the most likely scenario is one or two bad guys breaking in to steal. Now I wonder. And as I type I hear some of them arguing, out of jail already. The officer I spoke with this morning thought they would be in jail a few days at least.

Alan

unrequited

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
What do you guys think, is a shotgun or AR a good backup in the house?
...at least they knocked.

Another threat is people sneaking out the back or side and using your house as a place to hide out. ...and no, a shotgun/AR shouldn't be your backup... in your house it should be your primary defense weapon.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
The officer I spoke with this morning thought they would be in jail a few days at least.
Well, you now have a "few days" to go get a shotty...

Just the sound of the pump is scary enough:D

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

I vote shotgun for home defense. Less worry about over-penetration, (you still have to follow the four rules, of course.)

You also have the choice of non-lethal rounds, which may be of some use to some people. Personally I've been toying with the idea of loading the first round with rocksalt. It could help demonstrate to a jury that the intent really was self-defense and not premeditated murder if someone were to break in, and yet a good load of rock salt at short range from a 12GA could be pretty debilitating, especially with a load of lead pellets behind it if it doesn't work completely the first time. There's also the rubber bullet option.

On the other hand, you don't have as many rounds before re-loading, and it's not simply switching magaizines.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I too live in Marysville.

12 Gauge Semi-Auto with #3 Lead BuckShot.

20 Gauge "Short Barrelled" (18.5") Shotgun -again with #3 Lead Buck

If you survive that....There's always the 9mm and the 38special, one of which is ALWAYS at my side.

Also in the safe are several hunting rifles, but they are pretty much useless for HD.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

splash-truck-bridge.jpg

LoveMyCountry

Agent 47

imported post

Wow! that's pretty crazy. This shotgun is my first line of defense, a handgun is always a compromise ( more concealable in exchange for less power ) luckily, in your own home you don't need to carry it around so it can be big enough to do the job.

M1014.jpg

Trigger Dr

imported post

18.5", W/extended mag tube, 12 Ga loaded with #9 shot... tight pattern...will not over penetrate...will cause mass indigestion when it hits, and you probably will never shoot more than 15' - 20' in your house.

Jim

expvideo

imported post

Underfolder AK47 with (so far) 2 loaded magazines sitting right next to it. I'd like to mount my surefire on it, but at the same time I hate putting crap on AKs. I suppose it would be worth it, all things considered.

I need a shotgun.

Mainsail

imported post

If we ever all get together for a shoot, I’d be happy to bring out my 590A1 with the Knoxx recoil reducing stock. It makes shooting a shotgun a lot of fun. Once you try it, you’ll never go back to the stock stock again.

Mainsail

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
LOL The U-haul pic is great! It says it all!

To the contrary, I find it somewhat flippant. This happens a lot in other forums where someone living in Massachusetts or New Jersey complains about such-and-such ridiculous gun law, and someone just laughs and tells them they should move to their state.

Moving isn’t always an option, nor should it have to be the only option.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Years ago I used a shotgun loaded with rock salt to stop a thief. Rock salt really lessens the kick, read that no kick. But it can be very painful to the person on the receiving end. TheguyI shot in the rump dissolved the salt with a hot bath. (Met him later but that is another story) So I started loading rock salt and rice. I haven't had the chance to use it yet but a hot bath with rice in your rump might prove interesting. Heavy clothing could deflect this load but would probably send most people running. So load the second round with buckshot. Consider the first a warning.

irfner

Wheelgunner

imported post

Perhaps you find it flippant, but the fact is people strive to better their circumstances in life for both themselves and their children. Moving away from dangerous people is an option if you don't wish to confront them. Right now, with this great economy and buyers market real estate, there would never be a better time to look for a better job or a better home away from the crack heads next door.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

irfner wrote:
Years ago I used a shotgun loaded with rock salt to stop a thief. Rock salt really lessens the kick, read that no kick. But it can be very painful to the person on the receiving end. TheguyI shot in the rump dissolved the salt with a hot bath. (Met him later but that is another story) So I started loading rock salt and rice. I haven't had the chance to use it yet but a hot bath with rice in your rump might prove interesting. Heavy clothing could deflect this load but would probably send most people running. So load the second round with buckshot. Consider the first a warning.

irfner
Sorry, but if you are breaking into my house, you are not getting a warning shot. I will shoot to STOP the threat. If that means killing the perp, so be it.

Misguided Child

imported post

Wheelgunner, you might be confused. I have a well paid job with a fortune 50 company and a decent house. The house next door has been owned by a fisherman who opted to rent it out and go live in Bristol bay because it was too expensive to support both the house and fishing boatafter a bad season. After I get hold of his address up there I suspect he will clean up the problem if the cops don't first. If I wished to move I could, but I won't run because of a couple lowlifes.

I can't identify the weapon in your picture, what is it?

Agent 47, What is the sight on top of your shotgun?

There are no warning shots inside MY house.

Agent 47

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
I can't identify the weapon in your picture, what is it?

Agent 47, What is the sight on top of your shotgun?

There are no warning shots inside MY house.
That, my friend, Is a Benelli M1014 marine corp shotgun fitted with a Trigecon Acog red dot sight.

Wheelgunner

imported post

That, my friend, is a M1A SOCOM in a folding Macmillian stock with anEOTEC sight mounted on the Scout mount. The light is the 900AB weaponlight by Surefire. The light can be detached to act as a regular flashlight and is equipped with red LED's for moving around without losing your night vision. Theweapon itself comes withtritium night sights if you don't like the EOTEC. The 110 grain Hornady rounds are extremely powerful, yet lessen the chance of over penetration. The rifle itself is utterly reliable so long as USGI magazines are used.