• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goings on in Marysville

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Boom Shakalaka wrote:
If you get a Mosin, I know a chiropractor who needs to pay for his kid's college education.
I already have one, a nice M38, 1942 production. This is the 7th or 8th Mosin Nagant I have owned. I have seen pin on muzzle brakes for the carbines. I have seen some good deals on 91/30 snipers with P/U scopes... tempting, tempting....

just_a_car

imported post

Boom Shakalaka wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
just_a_car wrot
e:Yeah, SHTF or ZHTF is why I bought my AES-10... and cuz it looks cool. ;)

Though, in the Seattle area, we're more likely to see "The Big One" (Earthquake of 9+ on the Richter Scale) as our primary SHTF, rather than any hurricane, tornado, or tidal wave. There's some chance we'd get a tidal wave in the Puget Sound, but it wouldn't be SHTF-devastating due to the 'baffling' effect of the Juan De Fuca Strait, San Juan Islands and curvy nature of the sound itself. There is the chance for "flood-SHTF" from rain, but that really depends on where you live around Seattle, as we've seen from the last week and I think of SHTF as a more widespread situation.
I was tempted to take my dinghy and play on the surface streets... near the marina that flooded :)

For some strange reason, flooding doesn't really worry me.
Since I traded off my SKS I need a new EOTW rifle... Either another SKS or an AK. Of course the Mosin Nagant speaks with a pretty loud voice...
If you get a Mosin, I know a chiropractor who needs to pay for his kid's college education.

I guess I forgot to mention... I also own a 91/30 ex-sniper (Her name is Bethany)and two 91/59's. ;)

Oh... and my back's doing fine. The beauty of a Limbsaver® Slip-on Recoil Pad. :p

BluesBear

imported post

Rocksalt may have been a great idea back in great grandpappy's time but today it's a stupid idea. It's a lawsuit just waiting to happen. You have absolutely NO right to wound someone. It's called lethal force for a reason.

In the abstract thought you might try to say that you only shoot to stop the threat and that rocksalt is intended to stop the attacker. But if you ever shoot anyone with it, it will be parlayed by a smart tile crawler into intent to cause bodily injury. You'll have enough trouble finding twelve pro-gun juors in the first place. Finding a dozen that think rocksalt is funny will be all but impossible.

Stay away from rock salt and all of theother "exotic" (roofing nails and birdshot) ammo. Stick with the basics. And there are no warning shots in my world either. Be it five or fifty, magazine capacity is always limited, so I cannot afford to waste one just making noise.

Also it's winter here. Think THICK clothing. #9 birdshot makes a nice rathole wound on a guy in a t-shirt but it was never intended to penetrate several layers of Eddie Bauer.

My top choices for home defense are;

1. Shotgun 12/16/20 gawith the largest buckshot available
  2. semi-auto carbine or short riflechambered in .223
  3. .30 M1 Carbine
  4. semi-auto carbine chambered in .45acp (or .40 or 9mm)
  5. semi-auto .22 Long Rifle with at least a 15 shot detachable magazine.
I do not consider any rifle/carbine chambered in .30 Soviet to be best for home defense. Inside it's too loud, too much recoiland will over penetrate like crazy. Outside it's not accurate enough for precise shooting. Rememebr we're talking about a residental neighboorhood with a huge percentage of innocents, not a war zone where your field of fire is "anything in that direction". Think headshots, NOT spray and pray.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Oh I think .30 Soviet is pretty accurate out of a well maintained rifle with a good bore. Or better still out of an M39 Finnish rifle....

At any rate my Mosin Nagant is more my really crappy things are happening and I need a RIFLE damnit gun. Better choices are out there, but it is the best I have, although if my Enfield had better sights... I am going to either get another SKS, or an AK (or both!)

Still need to get a Mossberg 590....

Steve

heresolong

imported post

BluesBear wrote:
I do not consider any rifle/carbine chambered in .30 Soviet to be best for home defense. Outside it's not accurate enough for precise shooting.
I assume that you are talking x39 not x54R? My M-44 will ding a steel plate at 300 yards 1 out of 3 times with iron sights. Pretty damn accurate and I am not that great a shot.

BluesBear

imported post

heresolong wrote:
I assume that you are talking x39 not x54R? My M-44 will ding a steel plate at 300 yards 1 out of 3 times with iron sights. Pretty damn accurate and I am not that great a shot.

Yes .30 Soviet is what we called 7.62x39 back in the 70s. What we called .30 Russian (or .30 Mosin) back then is now called 7.62x54R. Actually I think the old names were easier.

Misguided Child

imported post

Wow...has this thread gone a little OT or what?

I can see SV Lib using a Mosin, as long as he puts it through the hatch butt first, he could lay it next to him in his rack and cover the whole boat by moving the muzzle left/right 3-4";)

For those of us who have corners to go around I think it would not be practical.

May I redirect? I have been looking at shotguns. Agent 47s' is too pricey though waaay cool. Benelli M1s' are pretty high too butI could get one. Interesting that Impact guns lists them as not being available to civilians anymore. So, Rem 870? Mossberg? somebody mentioned a 590? I've got the pistol, AK and a couple other toys. What model of shotgun will make the best defense gun? under $1000. Oh, and I live next to a river, is it practical to plug the tube and shoot ducks with it?

:monkeyI gotta get one of these for the people who keep trying to bring bananas on my boat!

BluesBear

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
What model of shotgun will make the best defense gun? under $1000. Oh, and I live next to a river, is it practical to plug the tube and shoot ducks with it?
For under $1K you can have your choice of several great guns.

My first choice for you for corrosion resistance would be the Benelli Nova H2O. Retail is $535. Sam's Gunshop often has them in stock and can probably give you the best price on one.

If you want t pistol grip then go with the Super Nova Tactical for less than $500. (You could buy TWO!) The SuperNova also comes with the ComforTech (sic?)stock which REALLY cuts the recoil of the magnum loads.

One thing about the Benelli guns is that they are chambered for 3½" magnum. You can shoot ANY 12 gauge shell in them. From the 2" Aguila mini-shells up to the heavy 3½" goose loads. And you can once again get extended magazine tubes for them. So with a plug and the proper choke tube it would make a very nice duck gun. You can even get the SuperNova practical in a camo finish.

Of course the Mossberg 590A1 is an excellent gun. I love mine and the only thing lacking is interchangeable choke tubes which is why (along with a built in extended tube) I bought my Winchester 1300 Camp Defender. Mossberg 500s are stout guns and will last a lifetime. I still have the 500A my father gave me when I turned 14 and it's still going strong. Mossbergs are great values (although a Benelli is next on my shotgun list) and I personally prefer them over the 870. But the Remington 870 IS a very good gun too. The main advantage of the 870 is all of those little doo-dads that are made to bolt onto it.

As you may notice I am enamored with "riot" guns and I semi-collect them. I, as well as many others, mourn the loss of the Winchester 1300. It was the fastest pump gun and the 8-shot Defender was a great gun. Since USRA closed up shop the 1300 is no more. Although it's still sort of available as the FN Tactical with an M4 collapsible stock, ported barrel with a sight rail andextra high brush-cutter sights. It certainly stands out in a crowd. FN made a run of standard 1300s from left over USA parts. The only difference other than markings was the interchangeable choke tubes.Something Winchester did not do with their 18½" models. Hopefully FN will do another run sometime.

Agent 47

imported post

BluesBear wrote:
For under $1K you can have your choice of several great guns.

My first choice for you for corrosion resistance would be the Benelli Nova H2O. Retail is $535. Sam's Gunshop often has them in stock and can probably give you the best price on one.
Funny you should mention that, we actually have that exact gun in stock and it is 7% off right now as part of our 12 days till Christmas sale.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
Wow...has this thread gone a little OT or what?

I can see SV Lib using a Mosin, as long as he puts it through the hatch butt first, he could lay it next to him in his rack and cover the whole boat by moving the muzzle left/right 3-4";)
It's a M38carbine and on the rack next to me, along with my Model 1, Mk III Enfield and 10/22 folder.... I don't actually use either big bore rifle as a defense gun. I have my handguns, and my 10/22. On the boat, I really don't need all that much bang.

compmanio365

imported post

Well, this is what I'm looking at getting; going to trade inmy single shot 20 ga, Hi-Point carbine and old bolt action rifle (if they'll even want that), see what I can get, and then buy this baby for $305 out the door (this one comes with a 40 and a 30 rd):

72l_RI1187_p.jpg

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI1187%2DN

Feel like it will be a good purchase, especially at that price. The best thing I have now is my Marlin 336 lever action .30WCF:

photo_336W_scope.jpg

I love this thing, it's just plain classic, and I'm keeping it, but it's not what I'm looking for in a SHTF or home defense weapon. And I need to get an AK soon in case HR 1022 gets passed, a dem gets into office in 08, etc.

Slowhand

imported post

Slowhand wrote:
Here is my dream home defense weapon. Just add a sling/bandoleer with 20 extra rounds for easy access.

Actually, all you really need besides this is a mop, bucket, drywall putty and a drywall knife, a little paintand you are set. Let the county take the body away.

Misguided Child

imported post

Ok, can anybody give me the scoop on Benelli M1 shotguns, supposedly limited to Police/military purchase?

I think I will pick up the Nova Marine, but it is hard to choose, so many guns, so few available.

But I really want to know about the Benellis'

Alan

just_a_car

imported post

Unless it's a short-barreled shotgun, I'm unaware of any Benellis that are restricted to military or police.

Personally, I've lusted after the M3 Super 90 for months, due to being one of the only shotguns, other than the SPAS-12, to have both pump and semi-auto functionality.

Beyond that, I've heard a lot of good things about them and nary a bad word, but they're also quite expensive. An M3 runs $850-$1200 (used-new). The M1, M2, and M4 are all semi-auto-only.

Here's a little blurb about the M1 specifically: http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh02-e.htm

Bear 45/70

imported post

BluesBear wrote:
heresolong wrote:

Yes .30 Soviet is what we called 7.62x39 back in the 70s. What we called .30 Russian (or .30 Mosin) back then is now called 7.62x54R. Actually I think the old names were easier.

BluesBear, Earlier you stated;

"1. semi-auto carbine or short riflechambered in .223

2..30 M1 Carbine"

Would be your choices for home defense.

But the 7.62X39 is a better stopping power cartridge than either of those calibers and home defense never requires 100 yard shootin. So please explain how a 223 or a .30 M1 (really no better than a pistol cartridge)is up to the task, where the 7.62X39 isn't.

Misguided Child

imported post

Benelli Nova H2O. Sorry about the lousy pic. It was a lot of fun to shoot at sams' tonight, really does a job on a bad guy target. The pistol shooters down at the other end of the bay had to stop shooting to come see what I was doing.

Attachments

• BENELLI.JPG
    BENELLI.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 149