• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why you should carry in Ohio

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Ah, the Christmas spirit, isn't it great?

Boy Scouts selling Christmas trees robbed at gunpoint

Published on Tuesday Dec 04, 2007

Two Boy Scouts and their fathers selling Christmas trees were knocked to the ground by three men with sawed-off shotguns who took about $350, police in this Cincinnati suburb said. Both adults and one boy also were punched. They were fortunate to not be shot, just punched.

"At first I thought it was just a little joke, but then, when I saw the gun, I was terrified," said John Hancock Jr., 13, of Troop 393. "And after I saw the gun this guy just punched me right here and it knocked me down," the boy said, pointing to his face.

The men were last seen running down a nearby street after the robbery Monday night.

"They were gutsy enough to not have masks and stupid enough to hit a kid," said police Sgt. Robert Kidd. "What kind of man hits a kid?" A criminal......

A business owner has offered to replace the boys' money.

http://www.ohio.com/news/ap?articleID=262191&c=y

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Gunmen rob Boy Scouts selling Christmas trees
The Cincinnati Enquirer

CINCINNATI

Boy Scouts selling Christmas trees were robbed by three armed men Monday night.
"It's sickening," North College Hill Police Sgt. Robert Kidd said.

Officers were called to the 1900 block of West Galbraith Road around 8:30 p.m., where two Boy Scouts and two adults were selling the Christmas trees in the parking lot of Tom’s Drive Thru.

It’s an annual tradition, Kidd said, and in his 10 years on the department, it’s the first time he’s received this sort of call and hopes it’s the last.

Three men, armed with sawed-off shotguns, fled with the Scouts' money. In the process, they punched two adults and hit a 13-year-old boy.

"They were gutsy enough to not have masks and stupid enough to hit a kid," Kidd said. "What kind of man hits a kid?"

The robbers made off with $350, North College Hill police said today, which the suspects took money from a cash box.

The boy who was attacked told Channel 9 News (WCPO) that he was badly shaken.

"At first I thought it was a joke but when I saw the gun, I was terrified," he said. "And after I saw the gun this guy just punched me right here and it knocked me down."

The Boy Scouts - in Troop 393 of St. Margaret Mary Church - plan to return to their tree stand tonight to sell trees and earn back the money, according to WCPO.

Phil Amrein of Amrein Diamonds in Colerain Township has offered to replace the money taken in the robbery, police said.

The father of one of the boys tried to grab the gunman, WCPO also reported. They exchanged a few blows before the thieves grabbed the money and ran off. The father also told the television station he hopped in his car and tried to follow them.

The robbers were last seen running south on Betts Avenue. They were described as black, 17 to early 20s. One was wearing a tan coat, and another was wearing a dark gray coat with a hood and a lighter gray sweat shirt underneath.

There was no clear description of the third robber. Anyone with information is asked to call North College Hill Police at 513-521-7171.

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071204/UPDATES01/71204014

Legba

imported post

Highway robbery in College Hill now... confirms the need for preparedness, I think.

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Do you know the area? Is it an area populated with well-to-do people?

Legba

imported post

I spent some time there about 20 years ago, and it was a safe bourgeois area as I recall - not a place I'd have automatically felt the need to carry a gun in back then.

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I guess crime is pretty good at spreading into "safe" neighborhoods and towns. Best to be prepared, even when it doesn't seem like you could be in any danger.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I know the area. Some what safe, but is getting bad. There was a robbery there 2 weeks ago BG shot and killed a young store owner.

"A man released from prison early on a robbery charge and accused of shooting and killing a North College Hill shop owner five months later, will be held in the Hamilton County Justice Center without bond."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071204/NEWS01/712040328/-1/all

The same area has a gun shop that the BATF is trying to shut down like Reds place out west.

Brady bunch wants this place shut down because to many cheap guns are being sold. Of course FBI approved every sale.

How about this story

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071113/NEWS01/711130354/-1/all

dng

State Researcher
imported post

color of law wrote:
Brady bunch wants this place shut down because to many cheap guns are being sold. Of course FBI approved every sale.
Gotta love that mentality. They believe that guns are only to be owned by the wealthy, privileged, and social elite. (I.E. Rosie being "anti-gun" but her bodyguard packs heat; btw, this is OT, but that's funny. Who would guard that body; it's not worth it) Anyway, that mentality is bull; the 2nd amendment is for all Americans.

cilcannonvryce

imported post

Hmmm.. Yeah pretty gross. Thugs stealing money from kids, degenerates like that should be put on the old style chain gangs for 20-30 years. In fact we need to go back to the old style chain gangs, they might deter a little more crime like this if the criminal automatically knew the risk was 20-30 years of cold hard labor busting rock. Might have been a whole different situation if the dad would have been carrying a gun though. It could have gotten real ugly, probably best that things went the way they did?

Springfield45

imported post

cilcannonvryce wrote:
Hmmm.. Yeah pretty gross. Thugs stealing money from kids, degenerates like that should be put on the old style chain gangs for 20-30 years. In fact we need to go back to the old style chain gangs, they might deter a little more crime like this if the criminal automatically knew the risk was 20-30 years of cold hard labor busting rock. Might have been a whole different situation if the dad would have been carrying a gun though. It could have gotten real ugly, probably best that things went the way they did?
:cuss::cuss:What if they Boy scouts themselves had been armed ? ... What if it were legal for EVERY law-abitding/responsible citizen to openly arm themselves? ... Picture this, If the fathers, and the boyscouts and all of the other bystanders, were legally armed and the criminals knew it ... would the crime have been commited at all ????

cilicannonvryce, Welcome to the forum .. always good to see new people join us :celebrate:celebrate

dng

State Researcher
imported post

cilcannonvryce wrote:
It could have gotten real ugly, probably best that things went the way they did?
These people were lucky they only got punched, and not shot. If the dads would have been carrying, I would guess the criminals would have not gotten away. But a boy scout might have gotten caught in crossfire, who knows. Thankfully this is pure speculation, andno one was seriously hurt. The bottom line is that you never know when someone is going to commit a crime, and it is wise to be prepared to defend yourself at all times.

cilcannonvryce

imported post

I agree. I definately am not saying that he shouldn't have been carrying. But with the end result being no one was really hurt in combonation with the dad not carrying, things turned out for the best, especially with someone stepping up to give the money back to them.

cilcannonvryce

imported post

Hmmm.....Boys carrying guns. Never really thought about that. But, maybe there should be an age limit on carrying a gun, concealed or not - we all know there is a certain amount of responsibility that goes with carrying a gun.And, I think allage appropriate, law-abiding citizens should carry openly. I think it would dramatically reduce crime.

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

FiremanJoe

imported post

Late Update----

was going back thru older posts and seen this thought I'd post a update, the 3 thugs were caught!!!!

3 Indicted In Armed Robbery Of Boy Scout Fundraiser
Travis Gettys, WLWT.com

POSTED: 11:50 am EST January 11, 2008
UPDATED: 4:53 pm EST January 11, 2008
CINCINNATI -- A grand jury indicted three people in connection with the armed robbery last month of Boy Scouts at a Christmas tree sale.

Prosecutors said Friday that Kenneth Hodge, 19, David Keeling, 19, and Nashon Wallace, 20, would face charges in the Dec. 3 robbery outside Tom’s Drive-Thru in North College Hill.

The Boy Scouts, ages 13 and 11 years old, said they were selling Christmas trees in the parking lot along West Galbraith Road shortly before closing when three men approached, with one carrying a sawed-off shotgun.

The boys said they thought the men were joking until one of them punched both boys and the older boy’s father, knocking them to the ground.

"Who robs Boy Scouts?" said Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters. "It is like holding up nuns."

Police said the men took about $300, which was intended for a troop fundraiser, but media attention about the robbery led to increased sales the following night, as well as a number of donations.

“It is particularly disgusting that these predators would aim a shotgun at young boys and their parents while they sold Christmas trees,” Deters said. “The fact that they were victimized while learning the lessons of the Boy Scouts tells you all you need to know about these defendants.”

All three suspects, who were arrested and remain in police custody, were charged with five counts of aggravated robbery and four counts of robbery.

Keeling and Wallace were also charged with possession of a weapon while under disability.

Wallace had been wanted on an outstanding warrant for driving with a suspended license after missing a court appearance.

Keeling was convicted in September of theft and obstructing official business, sentenced to 90 days in jail and credited with 25 days of time served.

He also was convicted and fined in April for drug possession and obstructing official business.

"Our intention is to come down as hard as we can on these three," Deters said.

If convicted Keeling and Wallace could face up to 58 years in prison, and Hodge could face a maximum of 53 years in prison.

mastiff69

imported post

I guess it could have been worse on three dumb %$# they could have stumbled upon a armed well trained citizen;) and then they may not have had the option of prison:uhoh:Hopefully others will learn from there mistakes and not try to pick on the weak, sick, or those that aren't able to protect themselves. But we all know that they will:cuss: