• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College student charged with inducing panic on I-70

dng

State Researcher
imported post

College Student Arrested, Charged With Inducing Panic

POSTED: 5:22 pm EST December 3, 2007
UPDATED: 11:58 pm EST December 3, 2007

BELMONT COUNTY, Ohio -- [/b]The Ohio State Highway Patrol said they’ve arrested 23-year-old Justin Carman, a University of Cincinnati student, after a late-afternoon incident on Interstate 70 near the Belmont-Guernsey county line.

Carman is charged with inducing panic.

Troopers said a driver on I-70 reported seeing someone holding a gun to someone’s head in a passing car. After investigating, troopers said it was a toy gun.

Carman and 3 other University of Cincinnati students were on their way back from the Steelers/Bengals football game, when troopers said, Carman thought it would be funny to hold the gun to the driver's head, but they said something like this is no joke.

They said as they approached the situation, they didn't know what to expect.

"At that point, we didn't know what was going on; if it was a stolen vehicle, a kidnapping with a stolen vehicle, or if the vehicle was going to stop. If a pursuit had ensued, we had officers in place with stop sticks out before it got out of hand," said Ohio State Patrol Sgt. Jason Greenwood

Carman has posted bond and is out of the Belmont County Jail.

I have heard people say that this is the same thing that OCers could be charged with. I disagree and I think this story shows why. Holding a toy gun to someone's head is very different than carrying a holstered firearm. Sure, the anti-gun crowd still might "panic" because you have a gun, but a holstered firearm is not a threat. Seeing a car driving down the road with a gun to the driver's head is a whole different ballgame. I would call the police if I saw that.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
College Student Arrested, Charged With Inducing Panic

...Carman and 3 other University of Cincinnati students were on their way back from the Steelers/Bengals football game, when troopers said, Carman thought it would be funny to hold the gun to the driver's head, but they said something like this is no joke. ...

I have heard people say that this is the same thing that OCers could be charged with. I disagree and I think this story shows why. Holding a toy gun to someone's head is very different than carrying a holstered firearm. Sure, the anti-gun crowd still might "panic" because you have a gun, but a holstered firearm is not a thread. Seeing a car driving down the road with a gun to the driver's head is a whole different ballgame. I would call the police if I saw that.

I wonder what the right pro-2A position is to take on this incident?

1. Was the arrestee a goof with a gun?

2. Was the arrestee a goof with a toy gun?

3. Was the arrestee expressing his 1A rights lawfully?

4. Doesthe arrestee hurt our gun rights?

I think the answer to No. 4 is, generally, yes.

But I'm not sure that the answer to No. 3 isn't also yes.

It's atough one for me, forsome reason....

Interesting, though, and ironic, that DG would call to report this one.... :cool:

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Hank, the thread is not about me, or what kind of citizen I am. Keep it on topic.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

:question:
dngreer wrote:
... Seeing a car driving down the road with a gun to the driver's head is a whole different ballgame. I would call the police if I saw that.

dngreer wrote:
Hank, the thread is not about me, or what kind of citizen I am. Keep it on topic.
:question::question::question::question::question::question::question::question::question:;)

dng

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
Interesting, though, and ironic, that DG would call to report this one.... :cool:
You are referring to another thread right? This is what I was talking about, and I believe you knew that.

Marco

imported post

don'ttake the bait.

This person is lucky LE or a well meaning citizen didn't shoot him.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

It really is a dangerous situation for all parties involved. The LEOs are probably expecting a hostage situation, and are prepared to pull the trigger. The passengers are in danger because they have created a situation where LEOs are more tense, expecting trouble. Thankfully, one of was hurt.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
a well meaning citizen didn't shoot him.
How do you feel about that? If I am not in danger, I am hesitant about pulling a gun, and taking responsibility for someone's safety who I don't know;especiallyin a situation such as this where I don't know what is happening. Suppose a citizen did shoot the student with the toy gun? Should the citizen be charged?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Stupid is as stupid does.

College kids (even though they are old enough to know better) horsing around.

Ohio law considers toy gun same as a real gun.

Simple word - brandishing.

Does this hurt 2A, I don't think so.

This is a one day story. Mondays are usually slow news story days.

This story is more disturbing.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071204/NEWS01/712040323/1056/COL02

"Instead, the men are going to prison for at least 20 years because they tried to raise tuition money with two armed holdups last summer."

Marco

imported post

please remember if your going to quote keep it in context and write snip or edit.
I know a WMC didn't shot.
What are you talking about "How do you feel about that?
I don't feel anything I wasn't there, don't know the parties involved.

:?
If your comment is /was directed at someone else let me know.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Sorry about that, it was not meant as an attack on you or anyone else in any way. I was just asking what you/others what you thought. (about a well meaning citizen stepping into a situation like this and getting mixed up in something where he was in no danger)

cilcannonvryce

imported post

I would call the police too if I was soundly unable to determine if the gun was fake or real. Thenit is up to the police to determine what is going on and if it is discovered that some kids were just goofing off, then woopity-doo, let them go.You never know what is going on in a situation like that, trust me I know - I have seen it,and you calling the cops might save a life - that is all that matters, even if it is some kids goofing around. This is being a responsible citizen, and we need more of them. If we had more, the anti-gun morons would stop crying aboutus walking down the street with a .44 S&W strapped to our hip. Hell, it wouldn't be "illegal"for that matter.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

cilcannonvryce wrote:
I would call the police too if I was soundly unable to determine if the gun was fake or real. Thenit is up to the police to determine what is going on and if it is discovered that some kids were just goofing off, then woopity-doo, let them go.You never know what is going on in a situation like that, trust me I know - I have seen it,and you calling the cops might save a life - that is all that matters, even if it is some kids goofing around. This is being a responsible citizen, and we need more of them. If we had more, the anti-gun morons would stop crying aboutus walking down the street with a .44 S&W strapped to our hip. Hell, it wouldn't be "illegal"for that matter.

I agree. After analyzing what the situation is, calling the LEOs in is the best move. If the gun is a squirt-gun and you can see that, then, no, no need to call. But if it looks real, dial 911. There's enough justification for that. Even if you don't get the tag or if the car with the gun turns off, it's still a good idea to report it to someone who may be able to investigate.

To do nothing....would be irresponsible. We've covered that already elsewhere...same applies here.

Marco

imported post

No apology needed.:cool:

Call LE and be a good witness.
actions might be different if you have some connection to the alleged hostage or the hostage taker

Or can confirm the gun is fake:lol: