• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Current Status of State of Residence Data - Please update your state!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Since Mike and I asked that you please supply your state of residence, many of you have updated your profiles but there are still over 2300 profiles without a state listed.

This is NOT required information and if you wish to remain completely anonymous, then we completely understand! But if you are willing to at least list your state (leaving the city, etc blank) this will help us when we are talking to the press in a given state.

The attached pdf shows the current numbers for each state where users have chosen to disclose. It looks as if Virginia, Washington and Pennsylvania are our current power states.

Please consider it. Thanks!

Attachments

• States.pdf
    5.4 KB · Views: 499

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

This is important - if the press or elected official asks us how many member are from state X, we want to say as high but correct a number as possible!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

99sparks wrote:
I put in my state. I am resident of two states so I picked the one I plan to retire in. Just working till the job runs out here.
Thanks a lot!

zoom6zoom

imported post

Perhaps you could put a "Location Undisclosed" choice in the list of states. That way you could tell if someone wanted to remain off the grid or if they just hadn't made a selection in their profile.

I'm guessing a large number of those not selecting one are folks who registered and never posted or only posted a time or two.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

You could make a location mandatory (still doesn't necessarily force them to put in the true location, but people tend to do as prompted) and have an option to not disclose location. This way the Moderators could pull stats on total numbers per state but people do not have to be identified if they so wish.

okiephlyer

imported post

Is there any way to input your state and also have the option to "Do not Disclose"? I know many people in OK have a suspicion of disclosing where they are from in any open forum such as this, but would be wiling to discloseif the information were very tightly controlled.

MetalChris

imported post

oklaccer wrote:
Is there any way to input your state and also have the option to "Do not Disclose"? I know many people in OK have a suspicion of disclosing where they are from in any open forum such as this, but would be wiling to discloseif the information were very tightly controlled.
Your IP address discloses far more information than filling in the location info in your profile. By "far more" I mean someone can track you down to your desk using your IP, so if filling in a couple of fields in a forum is too scary for some people, they shouldn't be on the internet at all. :)

RedKnightt

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
oklaccer wrote:
Your IP address discloses far more information than filling in the location info in your profile. By "far more" I mean someone can track you down to your desk using your IP, so if filling in a couple of fields in a forum is too scary for some people, they shouldn't be on the internet at all. :)

That's assuming:

A.) Someone has access to the IP info on the forum, which according to John Pierce, only he and Mike have that access.

B.) The person is not using Tor or some other IP anonymizer.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

KBCraig

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
MetalChris wrote:

That's assuming:

A.) Someone has access to the IP info on the forum, which according to John Pierce, only he and Mike have that access.

B.) The person is not using Tor or some other IP anonymizer.
It also assumes that they're not behind a firewall, and that they're not part of a large national network which traces to the IP headquarters, which might not even be in the same state.

okiephlyer

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
oklaccer wrote:
How does your reply help? What steps are you taking to advance the cause? Why don't you go ahead and fill in some more fields in your profile (email) and show us how internet savvy you are?