• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Looking for local rifle refinishing

wqbang

imported post

I have an old Remington 512 that needs a complete reblue - the finish is all but gone. It isn't honest wear, it was actually removed by a family member with steel wool or something. This one will be for my is for my sons as it was their Great Grandpa's.

Anyone know a good local smith that does refinishing. Western Washington Prefered, but I am in Spokane and E. Washington from time-to-time.

Thanks!

Trigger Dr

imported post

Jack Etzel, in Port Orchard. Does restoration on all types of firearms. Inexpensive and quality work.

A friend had a 1911-a1 Auto Ordnance stolen and was recovered from a gravel pit several winter months later. Really bad condition. Jack did the restoration and the gun looked like a NEW Colt when he finished... Total cost? $75.00

Contact him at 360-876-2049

Jim

Stape

imported post

WOW, the above response has me wanting to call this guy in the A.M., depending on what you want done, a simple refinish or a restoration, I could make a few recomendations, but...I have sent a few rifles and pistols to Briley, those guys do allot more than choke tubes, and for a very fair price and good turn-around time. You can have anything done from mild to wild, but they do allot of restorations correct to factory. I sent in an old Parker, had the cokes massaged out to accept steel shot, chambers lengthened, refinished and reblued, aside from it being a Parker, youd think it was LNIB and at a fraction of the cost of what a cheap SxS would run me. Look em up. For local guys, I use Ed LaPour out of E Bremerton for allot of stuff. High demand for him, he does quality work, but never inquired to his refinishing.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Ed LaPour is a member of the Custom Gun Makers Guild, and has had several of his guns gracing the cover of NRA, and other magazines. I don't know who does his metal finishing, but Bruce Farman does his stock work. Bruce is also a member of the Custom Gun Makers Guild, and has done a couple stocks for me.

If you are looking forexotic wood, Bruce has shown me $75,000 worth of stock blanks in his storage area. Beautiful cannot even come close to describing it.

Jim

wqbang

imported post

This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Specifically what I am looking for is either a matte blue or high polish blue. Not sure yet. The matte blue would be more durable long term since it will be a boys rifle. The only other work needed is a screw staked. I am planning on refinishing the stock myself with linseed or tung oil. It is nothing special, but will clean up well after some sanding. The wood is good, but someone applied some tru oil or something in a haphazard manner. Also needs a recoil pad or buttplate, but that wont be hard to pick up.

Maybe while I have it there I should have the barrel cut to 16" and recrowned..... now you guys have me thinking. Stand back! It is dangerous when I think.

wqbang

BTW, do you do trigger work Trigger Dr? Your name sort of infers it.

Trigger Dr wrote:
Jack Etzel, in Port Orchard. Does restoration on all types of firearms. Inexpensive and quality work.

A friend had a 1911-a1 Auto Ordnance stolen and was recovered from a gravel pit several winter months later. Really bad condition. Jack did the restoration and the gun looked like a NEW Colt when he finished... Total cost? $75.00

Contact him at 360-876-2049

Jim

Trigger Dr

imported post

wqbang wrote

BTW, do you do trigger work Trigger Dr? Your name sort of infers it.

No, that name came from being an FMF Corpsman, after showing the Marines that I would shoot anything they would, and constantly stressing trigger control, I was named Dr of Triggernometry, and have been nicknamed Trigger Dr for the last 45 years.

Jim

wqbang

imported post

Received my Remmington 512 back from Jack Etzel on Saturday. Looks like a brand new rifle. All parts reblued, bolt polished, stock refinished and a buttplate fitted. At $125 this was truly a bargain.

It is perfect. I will let you know how it shoots when I get a chance to take it out. In the meantime I am pleased and would recommend Jack's work to anyone. My sons rifle is now ready for three more generations.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Troy at Renegade Guns in Shelton does rebluing. Give him a call at 360-427-1348. His turn around time is second to none and way faster than most.