Thread: Firearms Advertisements

Post imported post

As I've been seeing an increasing number of television advertisements for alarm-based security systems, and that has led me to wonder why I have yet to see any television or radio advertisements for firearms. Is there some sort of law against it, like for tobacco products, or are the manufacturers just deciding not to advertise?

State Researcher

Post imported post

You'll see them all of the time on hunting networks... I think the reason is it's not 'socially acceptable' to advertise things that are made to kill on television, unless your demographics are hunters. Doubt you'll ever see anything on primetime...

Post imported post

I'd like to start seeing some pro-gun public service announcements, short commercials debunking the anti myths. Anyway, if you listen to the NRA radio stuff they have gun commercials for everything from accessories and gear to actual firearms.

Post imported post

Here in Richmond VA the local and cable TV stations, as well as several of the local radio stations, carry ads for the gun shows. Green Tops (local sporting goods store) runs between 4 & 6 ads a year on both local & cable TV for various shooting items - and yes they do include handguns.

Either Green Tops is braver than everybody else or they figure that advertising dollars bring in buyers.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Interesting... maybe it's just because all of our channels here come from Philadelphia that I don't see any firearms ads.

Post imported post

I saw an advertisement selling a new type of women's purse on T.V. the other day, and it caught my eye. (No, smartasses. Not because I like purses.)

This purse had a large hidden compartment in the end to "conceal large items such as wallets" (or a handgun). It also featured a small pouch on the strap to contain "a cell phone or an included voice recorder" (or a spare magazine).

It was obviously geared towards women with CCW's because someone who carried a gun would definately notice how the purse was configured.

Why didn't the company just come on out with it? Instead of stating "this purse would be excellent for women who carry", they just hint around at it.

It makes me angry that CCW's are still considered by some companies to be a dirty little secret.