• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc at tcc

mrguppy

imported post

i have a friend who wants to oc at tcc and was wondering what the law would be. he does not go to school there, he has a friend who he wants to walk to her car cuz there was a rape or something at the campus that she goes to.

Renegade

imported post

I have visited TNCC many times carrying openly - walked the halls, entered classrooms, security, even the President's office - nothing was ever said.

sjhipple

imported post

Renegade wrote:
I have visited TNCC many times carrying openly - walked the halls, entered classrooms, security, even the President's office - nothing was ever said.
Careful though. Rules are often different for students and the public. At many schools, the public may carry, but a student will be expelled if they do. Best to ask.

bayboy42

imported post

TCC = Tidewater Community College

TNCC = Thomas Nelson Community College

ama-gi - re-read the OP. The guy who wants to know is NOT a student there. I see your point if the reverse were true but since he is NOT a student, he shouldn't ask.

mrguppy

imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/6306.html

Reference that thread,both of them are part of the VCCS( Virginia community college system) so the rules should be the same.

i think that was more so if the guy was a student, and my friend is not. he wants to carry while walking a student to her car. he is thinking of getting his ccp soon so that might just be the answer to his worries but i did not know if the law about no firearms on school ground would pertain to this

sjhipple

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
ama-gi - re-read the OP. The guy who wants to know is NOT a student there. I see your point if the reverse were true but since he is NOT a student, he shouldn't ask.

Thanks for the clarification, bayboy. You're correct. I just had a horrible image of a person reading that "carrying there is ok" and then getting expelled.

coastie

imported post

I work at the Portsmouth campus of TCC. In the TCC College Student Handbook and the TCC Catalog it clearly states that

"Students may be subject to disciplinary action for on-campus or off-campus conduct. Federal, state and local laws apply on campus. Disciplinary action may be initiated for the following conduct, which also may constitute conduct leading to criminal charges in the following circumstances:

Item 4 - WEAPONS. When a student is in possession, on his/her person or in his/her car, or uses weapons, including guns, knives, etc."

There is also a regulation prohibiting faculty and staff from possessing weapons on the campus.

sjhipple

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Best to ask.
:what:
ama-gi wrote:
Why are you so insistent that we go around asking permission like children?? Isn't the reason we open carry to show the world that it's not criminal?? Asking permission is you saying that you think there's something wrong with it and you want to make sure the masters are OK with it.
;).
The OC'er isn't the student, should have no worries.

Couldn't resist, I agree with the don't ask.:cool:

Long memories ;)

The two quotes areregarding COMPLETELY DIFFERENT situations though. The first is regarding what I had THOUGHT was a student entering his school, which would possibly lead to horrible and LEGAL consequences such as being expelled and losing a bunch of money.

The second quote about people who want to ask permission was in regards to an insane idea to ask the police "if they were ok" with people having an OC dinner in "their" part of town, or at least "let them know"...like children...or a person about to do something wrong. I thought asking permission to eat at a friggin restaurant was a really bad idea.

A student entering the private property of his school where there may be local rules that cause big consequences is totally different.

==

--Edit--

I didn't read who was posting this before responding. Then, I was wondering, "who would post something so stupid as to compare those two quotes?" If I would've known it was Agent 19, I wouldn't have bothered to respond to the little agent provocateur

I'm not going to post any responses to whatever drivel with which you respond, Agent19/Swatpro or whoever you are. No reason to.

Marco

imported post

Get a grip on your anger.
It was meant as a joke but you apparently don'thave a sense of humor.
I'm not anonymous and I don't have alternative accounts.
Don't confuse me with others.
This is Swatpro/opsgear/sigman, retrieved from when BobCav outed him

http://www.ratedesi.com/view.php?id=142784
Name: Asif
Weight(lbs): 165
Height: 67
City: Arlington
State: Virginia
Hobbies: Karate, Drawing, Weigh Lifting
Do You Drink?: No
Smoke?: No
Ethnicity: Asian/Bangladeshi
Religion: Muslim
Description/Anything Else: Single, LQQKING!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/swatpro911

i'm not 21, asian, muslim, 165lbs, or singleand I can't draw pictures

mrguppy

imported post

coastie wrote:
I work at the Portsmouth campus of TCC. In the TCC College Student Handbook and the TCC Catalog it clearly states that

"Students may be subject to disciplinary action for on-campus or off-campus conduct. Federal, state and local laws apply on campus. Disciplinary action may be initiated for the following conduct, which also may constitute conduct leading to criminal charges in the following circumstances:

Item 4 - WEAPONS. When a student is in possession, on his/her person or in his/her car, or uses weapons, including guns, knives, etc."

There is also a regulation prohibiting faculty and staff from possessing weapons on the campus.
i think that most poeple are not getting the fact that the one wanting to oc is NOT a student

sjhipple

imported post

mrguppy wrote:
coastie wrote:

i think that most poeple are not getting the fact that the one wanting to oc is NOT a student
Yeah, that was my original mistake. If not a student, don't ask, don't tell. The only University you'd need to worry about would be VCU and possibly GMU (although not yet)...at least those are the only two I know about with rules against the public carrying on campus.

NytoVa

imported post

What campus of TCC are you referring to. You could have a problemonthe Virginia Beach campus. There is at least one building on the VB campus that is shared by high school students & college students.

My son spends 1/2 his day at the ATC (Applied Technology Center) taking computer/engineering classes and the other 1/2 at a regular high school. While there is a mix of students throughout the day, my understanding it is predominately high schoolers during the day and college students during the evening.I have taken many computer classes in the building during the evening. There are also VB city school offices in the building.

I do not know how the law would apply in this dual use situation. But to be safe, I have never carried in the ATC building. I treat it as a high school building.

mrguppy

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
mrguppy wrote:
coastie wrote:

Yeah, that was my original mistake. If not a student, don't ask, don't tell. The only University you'd need to worry about would be VCU and possibly GMU (although not yet)...at least those are the only two I know about with rules against the public carrying on campus.

thank you for the replys

TEX1N

imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/6306.html

Reference that thread,both of them are part of the VCCS( Virginia community college system) so the rules should be the same.
All community colleges have different policies, please don't assume that one is congruent with the other. For example, Blue Ridge CC is also part of the VCCS, and they allow students with CHP's to carry.

When it comes to gun laws/policies...NEVER ASSUME!!!

TEX1N

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
mrguppy wrote:
coastie wrote:

It greatly frustrates me to inform you that you are wrong concerning GMU and the VA Administrative Code :banghead:

I found this earlier today. I'll have more on it next week...after I get through a few finals!

Table of contents for GMU VAC Regulation:
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC08035.HTM#C0060

Weapons ban itself:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC35-60-20

8VAC35-60-20. Possession of weapons prohibited.
Possession or carrying of any weapon by any person, except a police officer, is prohibited on university property in academic buildings, administrative office buildings, student residence buildings, and while attending sporting, entertainment or educational events. Entry upon the aforementioned university property in violation of this prohibition is expressly forbidden.

Statutory Authority
§23-91.29 of the Code of Virginia.
Historical Notes
Derived from Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 1, eff. August 28, 2007.

:cuss:

sjhipple

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
ama-gi wrote:

It greatly frustrates me to inform you that you are wrong concerning GMU and the VA Administrative Code :banghead:

I found this earlier today. I'll have more on it next week...after I get through a few finals!

Table of contents for GMU VAC Regulation:
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC08035.HTM#C0060

Weapons ban itself:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC35-60-20

8VAC35-60-20. Possession of weapons prohibited.
Possession or carrying of any weapon by any person, except a police officer, is prohibited on university property in academic buildings, administrative office buildings, student residence buildings, and while attending sporting, entertainment or educational events. Entry upon the aforementioned university property in violation of this prohibition is expressly forbidden.

Statutory Authority
§23-91.29 of the Code of Virginia.
Historical Notes
Derived from Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 1, eff. August 28, 2007.

:cuss:
Soooooo...it's official now? No hearing? No comment period? Any law suits pending?

At the very least, we can work to get this overturned at the state level.

TEX1N

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Soooooo...it's official now? No hearing? No comment period? Any law suits pending?

At the very least, we can work to get this overturned at the state level.
Like I said, I literally just found out about this. I've already started some wheels turning, but I'm currently swamped with finals and won't be able to address this further for a few days.