• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got Flat Tire, Trooper pulled up

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

SoI was driving home from work and a tire went flat. I had my gun on my hip, but since it's gettin chilly down here I threw my jacket on while I was outside. While I was getting the spare out of my trunk a trooper pulled up. As he approached, he asked me what the problem was. I told him I had a flat tire, and was glad he was there 'cause I needed a flashlight :D. I then kept my hands out and too my side and said "and just to let you know, I have a concealed carry permit and I am armed." He looked at me kinda funny, then I asked him to help me find the lug nut key that I had dropped. While we were searching for it, he asks, "So can I ask why you have a concealed permit??" I said, "Well I want to carry as much as possible and it's hard to legally w/o the permit. Ya know, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." He looked at me with a blank stare, and then said, "Oh, yeah, makes sense. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, it's your right. As long as you're a law-abiding citizen, it's your right.."

The conversation went on from there about how he was glad I knew how to change my own spare and blah blah blah. He stuck around until I was all packed up and I was on my way. When I got in the car I noticed my jacket had hooked up over my weapon as I was messing with the spare.

Two things came out of this for me. First, I was very impressed with the officer's attitude and behavior. I was about to ask him his badge number but a big truck drove by and then he got back in his car and left. I'm still going to call the PD and let them know that whichever officer responded to the guy with the flat tire was outstanding.

The second thing that I realized is that while the most people, myself included, think the "must inform" law is useless, it really helped me out this time. At some point while I was changing my tire with the officer watching me with his flashlight, my gun popped out. Had I not made him aware that I was armed, that might have been a difficult situation for both of us. I doubt he would have acted poorly, BUT I would expect any LEO to have to step back, ask the person to keep his hands visible and ask some quick questions to make sure this wasn't an attempted cop trap or whatever. I'm glad we got that out of the way at the beginning of the conversation :D.

unrequited

imported post

Good encounter... but the must inform law isn't useless. Even without it there's nothing prohibiting you from doing what you did and volunteering the information. I did the same when somebody hit and parked on my car denting the bumper, just so the cop knew. I just don't think it should be mandatory.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, this is a good example of when it prevented a bad situation. I would have NEVER thought to tell him otherwise. I actually think it'd be kinda weird to tellsomeone you were carrying concealedif it wasn't required...ya know, almost like bragging. I dunno. Point is it helped this time lol.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree with Unrequited.

It shouldn't be mandatory. It should be at the OC'ers discretion.

It worked well here. The officer was there to help. If the OC'er wants to avoid potential trouble, great.