Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: New to site and I am amazed!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    Hello all. I was reading up on random firearms stuff and stumbled across this site and have been reading it all day, figured I might as well sign up. Looks like allot of localguys here so might be cool to know a few folks. I have lived in Bremerton the past 3 yrs, stationed here, and have a concealed permit, but until this morning never knew that OC was legal here. I have never given OC much thought because I have never lived where it was legal, but now that this option obviously exists, my mind is racing with possibilities. It's a suprise too. As much time as I spend at the range, all the folks I hang around who are firearms enthusiasts ect......I have never seen an OC guy? I have a thousand questions and concerns but I think I will read some more before I go spouting off about something and show my ignorance. I am happy about the option of OC but also concerned as I am sure many of you could understand....what kind of reations do you get, from your neighbors, the police ect.........I can see many benefits, and also some negative ones, but hell, anything has that aspect, so like I said, look forward to reading up and gaining some knowledge around here, hope you don't mind me asking and poking my head in time to time. You all take care.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston, West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    It just seems like common sense to me, the Constitution says we can keep and bear arms. Personally, I don't think a permit should be needed to carry concealed either. What sucks is, my state has an OC law, but the city I live in prohibits it. I guess I will just have to break down and get a CCW permit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Administrator John Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, VA
    Posts
    1,735

    Post imported post

    Stape wrote:
    Hello all. I was reading up on random firearms stuff and stumbled across this site and have been reading it all day, figured I might as well sign up.
    Welcome aboard!!! We are glad to have you and we will be glad to field those questions one at a time!



  4. #4
    Regular Member sccrref's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    741

    Post imported post

    Ditto on the Welcome aboard. I have found this site to be a great wealth of information and I hope the same for you.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    I appreciate the welcome. It's sad, but my only concern are the evil gun believers that are worried about joe citizen carrying, when hes probably the last person you should worry about. In my small realm of day to day life, everybody knows me from the gas station to the grocery store and I am not worried about those places, just maybe the more populated areas. I'm not one to draw attention to myself, but the only time I open carry is out and about hunting ar scouting, hiking and so on, and in those places, it's a no-brainer, as should it all. Just trying to wrap my head around the concept as it has never before been presented to me is all.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Springfield45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    299

    Post imported post

    Welcome aboard !

    Ask away ! The only dumb question is one that goes un-asked !

    Always great to see new faces !:celebrate:celebrate

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    Stape wrote:
    I appreciate the welcome. It's sad, but my only concern are the evil gun believers that are worried about joe citizen carrying, when hes probably the last person you should worry about. In my small realm of day to day life, everybody knows me from the gas station to the grocery store and I am not worried about those places, just maybe the more populated areas. I'm not one to draw attention to myself, but the only time I open carry is out and about hunting ar scouting, hiking and so on, and in those places, it's a no-brainer, as should it all. Just trying to wrap my head around the concept as it has never before been presented to me is all.

    Welcome aboard,

    Well to tell you the truth...at first you care and are a little bit paranoid ( so to speak ). But as you get more comfortable with how you carry yourself while OCing and also know theLaws/Codes you really won't carry at all. I have people asking me almost every day now why I carry. I had a CFP feller come up to me the other day and said that he has seen me OCing and that he has his "Permit" and he didn't think that OCing was legal. I educated him a little bit about the Laws/Codes and referred him to this site. I refer personally 1-2 people every week to this site . I even have a sticker on my rearview window that says.

    "A Right UnExercised is a Right Lost" www.opencarry.org

    ask SGTJensen cuz he has seen it.


    Carry On and Do It PROUDLY

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    Springfield45 wrote:
    Welcome aboard !

    Ask away ! The only dumb question is one that goes un-asked !

    Always great to see new faces !:celebrate:celebrate


    No offence to anyone, just thought the pic was funny.

  9. #9
    Regular Member reefteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    511

    Post imported post

    A license to carry a concealed weapon is nothing more than the government granting permission for one to wear his clothes in a particular manner while armed. Wearing a gun on the hip in the summer?, Fine. Want to wear it under a windbreaker? You will need to pass a background check, get fingerprinted, fill out some forms, get photographed,....blah, blah, blah. Why is the government so involved with fashion?

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Stape wrote:
    Hello all. I was reading up on random firearms stuff and stumbled across this site and have been reading it all day, figured I might as well sign up. Looks like allot of localguys here so might be cool to know a few folks. I have lived in Bremerton the past 3 yrs
    What state? You can merge this trhead to your state.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston, West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    beats the hell outta me, makes absolutely no sense. the only real advantage I see to concealed carry is that some people get a little alarmed when they see anyone but a cop carry in the open. personally, I think a nice 1911 is a great accessory for any belt, lol.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Welcome!

    So, what do you carry?

    And WV308Shooter, it's a magnum revolver that is a great accessory for any belt!

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887

    Post imported post

    Stape wrote:
    ...Looks like allot of localguys here so might be cool to know a few folks...
    WELCOME!!

    Hey, just a suggestion - fill in your state of residence in your profile.

    Not only does that help the admins here when talking to the media about the breadth of the membership, but when you are posting to a thread outside of your state, people can see "where" you're coming from, and in addition maybe learn something about the law or the political environment there (since they would know where "there is").



  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,487

    Post imported post

    Stape wrote:
    I have a thousand questions and concerns but I think I will read some more before I go spouting off about something and show my ignorance.
    Really, don't worry about it. I know on a lot of firearms forums you will get flamed for asking something that would be a common question, but here we have no problem answering anything you'd liketo know. Of course it is always prefferable to do a search, but no one is going to jump on your case about asking questions. We really want more public support, so the last thing weare going to do is get mad at you for asking questions. So really, honestly, go ahead and ask anything you want.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    expvideo wrote:
    Stape wrote:
    I have a thousand questions and concerns but I think I will read some more before I go spouting off about something and show my ignorance.
    Really, don't worry about it. I know on a lot of firearms forums you will get flamed for asking something that would be a common question, but here we have no problem answering anything you'd liketo know. Of course it is always prefferable to do a search, but no one is going to jump on your case about asking questions. We really want more public support, so the last thing weare going to do is get mad at you for asking questions. So really, honestly, go ahead and ask anything you want.
    And I'm sure that any questions asked we'll have answered millions of times before to other people encountered while OCing.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Redmond, Washington, USA
    Posts
    618

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    expvideo wrote:
    Stape wrote:
    I have a thousand questions and concerns but I think I will read some more before I go spouting off about something and show my ignorance.
    Really, don't worry about it. I know on a lot of firearms forums you will get flamed for asking something that would be a common question, but here we have no problem answering anything you'd liketo know. Of course it is always prefferable to do a search, but no one is going to jump on your case about asking questions. We really want more public support, so the last thing weare going to do is get mad at you for asking questions. So really, honestly, go ahead and ask anything you want.
    And I'm sure that any questions asked we'll have answered millions of times before to other people encountered while OCing.
    You know, I never thought about that. This really IS good experience for what we encounter out in the "real world". A lot of these questions from newbies are likely what we get all the time, and this would be considered a very safe alternative

  17. #17
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    Welcome to OCDO!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    I registered really quick last night just to get on board, I'll update my profile soon. I'm in Washington State, over in Bremerton, across the water from Seattle. I have carried for years, always concealed, usually a Series One Kimber 1911 fullsize that I have tweaked here and there to my liking, squared off trigger guard, 30LPI everywhere, low-mount bomars, ambi and ablended mag funnel.if not that, pocket carry a .38 snub,or if in the woods I'll open carry a gp100, all with handloads for application. Thanks for all the info fellas.

  19. #19
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Welcome aboard! It takes some getting used to, I still get a little nervous in some situations, but am good about not showing it. Confidence and belief counts for everything.

    I'm not sure about handloads for self defense, too much potential for an over eager DA to sceam "excessive force" or that you were making more powerful ammo than factory, etc... all BS I know, but Ayoob councils against it, and I agree with the argumetns he has put forth.

    If you ever find your way down to Olympia, drop me a message. We're not all kooks down here!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •