• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

quad mag pouch for 1911

Paco

imported post

[align=left]I recently have become interested in the competition shoots held here locally. I am looking for a good quad mag pouch for single stack 1911 mags, no preference on material, but i would rather buy something with more quality that I can use both in competition and OC/CC. Any opinions, or general advice would be welcome. Thanks for your time in advance.
[/align]

pkbites

imported post

Don't know how well this will work for competition, but I have 2 different magazine holders from Uncle Mikes that I've used to carry 4 mags.

The first one is Uncle Mikes Compact holder. It has a snap AND velcro. The velcro is for when you need a quick close.

The second is Uncle Mikes Slim Line magazine holder. It is taller than the compact so it accepts longer mags. It doesn't have velcro.

Both are actually to carry 2 double stack mags, but when I was carrying a Kahr TP-9 I found both of them could easily carry 4 single stack mags.

What I really like about them is they take 1/2 the room on my duty belt than regular police magazine pouches.

http://images.afmo.com/products/215/00/30/215-00307-2T.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.uscav.com/prodinfo/thumbnails/27495t.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx%3FproductID%3D9326%26TabID%3D137%26CatID%3D233&h=80&w=80&sz=1&hl=en&start=31&um=1&tbnid=EQuHNJbPE4gSeM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=74&prev=

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Bladetech offers a quad mag pouch for a 1911. It's injection-molded plastic/kydex variety and is rather slim for what it does for you. I've even used it while CCing, just once or twice, to prove I could hide it. (with a loose jacket, of course) I think it cost me around $35. Check out their website for moreaccurate details/price.

Paco

imported post

[align=left]Thanks for the posts!! Does anyone use the bladetech "injection molded double mag pouch w/Tek-Lok? I'm going to order it and was just wondering if it rattles or holds the mags secure? Any help would be great thanks alot ;)
[/align]

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Paco wrote:
[align=left]Thanks for the posts!! Does anyone use the bladetech "injection molded double mag pouch w/Tek-Lok? I'm going to order it and was just wondering if it rattles or holds the mags secure? Any help would be great thanks alot ;)
[/align]
This is the little brother of the one I'm talking about. You can adjust the tension on the mags, and it holds them quite securely. The first time I saw oneof the quad mag pouches wasabout 3 years ago when Tacoma PD started issuing Kimber Pro Carry's, there was an officer I ran into at an ER that had one of the bladetech units on his duty belt sitting at about 11 o'clock. Stuffed with 4 Wilson Combat 47D's, it was a thing of beauty! You'll be happy with anything from Bladetech.

spurrit

imported post

IF you want leather, I can make whatever you want. Do you want snap on/off, slot, loop,......? I guarantee, they'll outlast cheapo injection molded crap.

Paco

imported post

[align=left]Purchased a bladetech double puch today, works well, and inexpensive. Gonna pick up the Bladetech Quad pouch for X-Mas methinks.
[/align]

spurrit

imported post

Paco,

Be sure to sign up for their e-mail list. They're always having holiday sales. If I recall correctly, they had the double mag holders on clearance for $15, quite a while back.

Paco

imported post

:what:Sweet! oh btw anyone know how i can format a thread so that it doesn't take so much space lengthwise?

tarzan1888

imported post

spurrit wrote:
IF you want leather, I can make whatever you want. Do you want snap on/off, slot, loop,......? I guarantee, they'll outlast cheapo injection molded crap.

spurrit you work in leather?

I have a Triple K shoulder holster and the retention snap on the holster is not as tight as I like. It has actually come open a couple of times dropping my 1911 on the floor.

How hard is it to replace that snap?

Thanks for your help

Tarzan

spurrit

imported post

Go to the hardware store or hidecrafters.com or theeatherfactory.com and buy a snap setter. I got mine at the far, and ranch store for about $5.

tarzan1888

imported post

spurrit wrote:
Go to the hardware store or hidecrafters.com or theeatherfactory.com and buy a snap setter. I got mine at the far, and ranch store for about $5.

Then, I guessyou just get a snap that is similar to the one that you are replacing and then set it.

Humm Sounds reasonable.

Thank you.

I love the shoulder Holster, but am afraid to wear it as I don't trust it.

Tarzan

spurrit

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
spurrit wrote:

Then, I guessyou just get a snap that is similar to the one that you are replacing and then set it.

Humm Sounds reasonable.

Thank you.

I love the shoulder Holster, but am afraid to wear it as I don't trust it.

Tarzan
The snap setter comes with snaps, but you can generally just use the setter to tighten up the one that's on it.

I don't care for shoulder holsters. Too easy to disarm. Every time I see one, I just wanna snatch the gun and ask the guy what the hell good did he think that holster was good for.

tarzan1888

imported post

spurrit wrote:
The snap setter comes with snaps, but you can generally just use the setter to tighten up the one that's on it.

Normally that is what I would do, BUT me being me I tried to fix the snap with pliers and hammer and so forth and so It is not in the best shape any more.

I mainly use the shoulder holster for CC, and about the only times I really use it for OC is when I am at a restaurant and have my coat off while I am sitting at a table OR when I am driving for long distances as the shoulder holster does not interfere with the seat belt. In these instances I am not in a situation where it would be easily snatched by an assailant.

I agree with you that, being on your weak side, and presenting to the front the way it does, a shoulder holster is not the ideal way to carry openly, but for me there are instances as enumerated above, where it does serve its propose.

Back to the snaps. I thank you again for your suggestion as I love the holster, but need to fix the snaps.

Tarzan

spurrit

imported post

The best way to fix one without a snapsetter is to use a nail set, ground down, or an appropriately sized ball end punch to flare the stem that locks the two piecestogether.

To REMOVE one, just grasp the domed side with a pair of pliers, or hold it in a vise, then drill it out.

You MIGHT be able to find the snaps and setter in the arts and crap section of Wally World.