• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lasers

jonnyjeeps

imported post

What do you guys think of laser sights for defense pistols, usefull, neccesarry, not worth it? I ask because I think of people reporting "not seeing the sights" in a shooting situation. Wouldnt this make things easier, at least in low light?

I am thinking of a lasermax guide pin sight for my xd.45 but its spendy

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

jonnyjeeps wrote:
What do you guys think of laser sights for defense pistols, usefull, neccesarry, not worth it? I ask because I think of people reporting "not seeing the sights" in a shooting situation. Wouldnt this make things easier, at least in low light?

I am thinking of a lasermax guide pin sight for my xd.45 but its spendy

I use Crimson Trace grips on several of my guns, including my carry guns. With the personal defense guns, I don't even practice with iron sights anymore.

I think that when you go laser for a personal defense gun you're probably better off committing exclusively to point shooting using the laser.

Good luck with your decision.

expvideo

imported post

I would recommend a strobing laser. It makes for faster target aquisition, because your eyes more easily pick up the location of the laser when it is blinking. I've always thought that a laser is a pretty good idea, but if you are going to become dependant on an electric device, make sure you keep the batteries up to date. The problem is that with a lot of laser grips and such products, if you set the gun down on the wrong side, the button will be pushed, and your battery will be drained. So suddenly you have a dead battery, while at the same time you are not used to using your iron sights... I doubt that could lead to anything positive. I would recommend getting a laser, provided that when you practice at the range you still use your iron sights, in conjunction with your laser, so that you don't get accustomed to relying on a battery operated device.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Just to add an alternate opinion, I don't think lasers are all that necessary. It's been thoroughly proven that, with practice, you can point-shoot VERY accurately w/o sights, especially at self-defense ranges. Point shooting is also going to be faster than drawing, finding the laser dot, then firing. In fact, you'll essentially be point shooting anyway just to get the laser on target.

Lasers on handguns seem to be more practical for three main things: acquiring multiple targets in low light, firing a handgun accuratelyat longer distances, and infrared lasers that let you see where you're shooting while wearing NVGs. It seems to me that laser sights are more useful in military type situations than they would be in a self defense situation.

Now this isn't to say that I don't like lasers. They're great for practicing point shooting (you can literally practice in your home). They could be more intimidating to a BG, and they can add confidence with less experienced shooters. They can also allow a person with almost NO shooting experience to manage a successful self defense shot if necessary. I just don't think they're as much as an improvement as some people think.

I'll probably have a laser for my shotgun and a handgun or two some day. More so as a novelty fun thing to use at the range than anything. I sure don't need one to shoot well :).

Just my 2 cents.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I sell quite a few Crimson trace grips, BUT I discourage their use for shooters with Little experience. I believe that one can become dependent upon a device rather than become proficient with the use of training and muscle memory.

Laser sights have their place, but not for those with Little experience. you are building false security with their use. Learn, train the proper way and then, if you must, get a laser.

YMMV

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I sell quite a few Crimson trace grips, BUT I discourage their use for shooters with Little experience. I believe that one can become dependent upon a device rather than become proficient with the use of training and muscle memory.

Laser sights have their place, but not for those with Little experience. you are building false security with their use. Learn, train the proper way and then, if you must, get a laser.

YMMV
Very well put! That was the other point I was trying to make, lol. You gotta be able to shoot w/o a laser before you start shooting with one. And at that point, why do you need the laser if you can already shoot?

expvideo

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Very well put! That was the other point I was trying to make, lol. You gotta be able to shoot w/o a laser before you start shooting with one. And at that point, why do you need the laser if you can already shoot?
Because it helps to gain compliance from the burglar. He sees a red dot on his chest and takes it a little more seriously than just pointing the gun at him. At least that's what CTC will tell you :D

just_a_car

imported post

Lasers also help you correct flinching and such while practicing at the range. You'll see the dot move and can work on overcoming it.

As has been said, it's not to be relied-upon, but is a great aid in target aquisition. Just don't go with a rail-mounted one, as that makes your options for holsters limited; go for grip-integrated, such as Crimson Trace.

I also highly recommend them for wheelguns that have a heavy triggerpull, since a heavy trigger can make you go off-target from your muscles tensing.

Johnny Law

imported post

I have tried several different brands, and can say there is a difference in the brightness of the dots. As far as iron sights go, I still use them first. I agree that you should not become dependent on the laser dot. The reason being is that in the day the laser is useless as it is washed out by daylight and especially sunshine.

The only time it becomes useful is from dusk to darkness. You still have another option though, which is a good set of tritium sights. I have a set of the lasergrips on my primary off duty carry gun, and theyhavethe brightest laser I have seen yet. At night it can be seen several hundred yards away. At night I feel that the laser can put you on target faster than even tritium sights, and yes the intimidation factor is another strong point.

More importantly at night is a good flashlight, either mountedon the pistol or in your pocket. Remember, if you can't positively identify your target you better not shoot it.

Wheelgunner

imported post

Lasers are great for playing with the cat. As a defense tool they give the enemy an aiming point to shoot at and identify you as a priority target. Like any device they can fail. If you delay to shoot to see the dot, you are giving up the 10's of a second to down your opponent. My I suggest reading "No Second Place Winner" by Jordan. If you want to project something, use lead rather than photons.

(Can you tell I have an opinion!)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
If you want to project something, use lead rather than photons.

Unless of course those photons are projected at a quantity, wavelength, and over-all energy that will cause extreme bodilyharm or death. I'd carry that over a projectile weapon any day :D.

Boy that'll be the day. 12 page arguments on OCDO about which is a better sidearm: .45 1911 or a hand-held directed energy weapon lol.

Wheelgunner

imported post

Boy that'll be the day. 12 page arguments on OCDO about which is a better sidearm: .45 1911 or a hand-held directed energy weapon lol.

Ok, you got me there. I might give up my S&W 29 for a "Phased Plasma weapon in the 40 watt range".

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
lasers are for people who can't aim.

This is an interesting statement. For even if you are right, you're still wrong.

Anway, I aim purty good with my laser.

compmanio365

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:

Ok, you got me there. I might give up my S&W 29 for a "Phased Plasma weapon in the 40 watt range".

I set my phaser to "extra crispy"! :lol:

In reality though, I could see us having PPG style weapons, like those from Babylon 5 within 50-100 years.

http://www.b5tech.com/misctech/weapons/handheldweapons/ppgpistol.html

You would have LTL and lethal options all in one package.

Hef

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
Lasers are great for playing with the cat. As a defense tool they give the enemy an aiming point to shoot at and identify you as a priority target. Like any device they can fail. If you delay to shoot to see the dot, you are giving up the 10's of a second to down your opponent. My I suggest reading "No Second Place Winner" by Jordan. If you want to project something, use lead rather than photons.

(Can you tell I have an opinion!)
I can't count how many evenings I've spent amusing myself and my GF playing "cats n' lasers". I don't have a laser on my weapons, just one for messing with the cat.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ROTFLMAO
Cats and lasers are fun. I have spent a lot of time and busted a gut over cats chasing laser dots. Plus it is a good workout for kitty.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

A while back at a gunshow I picked up a small flashlight that had the bulb at the end of a flexible cable (good for checking a barrel bore) and it also has a red laser that works really well. Price: $5.

So, I'm wondering why the Crimson Trace grips cost $150 to $230 new.... :X

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
A while back at a gunshow I picked up a small flashlight that had the bulb at the end of a flexible cable (good for checking a barrel bore) and it also has a red laser that works really well. Price: $5.

So, I'm wondering why the Crimson Trace grips cost $150 to $230 new.... :X

Believe it or not, crimson trace grips aren't over-priced. They make their profit like any business should, but thats about it. The laser units in crimson trace grips (and most good weapon mounted lasers) are NOT the same as the $5 laser you can buy at wal-mart. Laser sight lasers are designed and built to take the shock of the weapon firing. A cheap laser can't...it'll apart. Also, good laser sights are strobing for quicker sight acquisition.

uncoolperson

imported post

lasers, well i have one for a gun... after doing some shooting with a buddy and his tacticool m4, i had to "get my carbine up to grade" (m1 that is).

bipod, rails, light, laser.... (don't worry, no parts touching anything that could be scratched, lots of pads keeping the gun safe).

i find it entertaining.... but one more thing to pay attention to, wouldn't want one for anything but shooting cans.