• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lasers

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
lasers are for people who can't aim.

You're more right than you know.

One of the advantages of a laser is being able to shoot from positions where you can't bring the sights up to eye level. Suddenly its very easy to be on-target with the weapon tucked in a close retention position. You can shoot to the rear while moving towards cover; you can shoot from the waist, perhaps knocked onto your back by an assailant. I'll bet there is a list of possible shooting positions.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a laser's contribution to dry-fire practice and trigger control. That little red dotreally shows how much you move the gun when you pull the trigger.

My laser came with a video. I follow its advice and practice bringing the sights up to almost eye level so if the laser fails, I don't have far to move the gun or tuck my chin to be looking through the sights.

Preston1911

imported post

I practice shot with and without laser sights regularly. I own Crimson Trace and am very pleased with the quality and accuracy.

uncoolperson

imported post

just got done duct taping a laser (keychain laser, to play with the cat) to my gun for the original nintendo.... duck hunt sure was easier.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
I use Crimson Trace grips on several of my guns, including my carry guns.
:shock:

Did anybody else notice this???

I think this might be the first timeHankT has admitted to carrying!

Now if we could just get an answer to that pesky he or she question. :p

BluesBear

imported post

Why does everyone seem to overlook the biggest advantage of a weapon mounted laser?

When youare holding an intruder/attacker at gunpoint, it's much, Much, MUCH, MUCH easier to keep that little dot trained on them while you are dialing 911 for help than it is to keep referring to your front sight.

And THEY also know that your muzzle is still pointing right at THEM. There's never any doubt as to whether you still have them covered or not. Did I mention it's MUCH easier?

Lasers are also great for acquiring the target but for actual shooting your sights are a much better tool. Because due to the way they are mounted,your sights will always be more accurate (closer to POI)than the laser.

Lasers are a good tool to have, but they areNOT a crutch. Learn to shoot properly. With and without the laser. You still have to have a proper grip and good trigger control or you're going to miss. Remember the laser is just a sighting tool, but your bullets CAN'T see it.
Learn to shoot.

heresolong

imported post

Been thinking about Crimson Trace (yes I know how to shoot with iron sights, that is all I have ever had on my revolver and pistol, and what I mostly shoot with my M-14). Kept looking on the website for CTs for my Ruger KP345 and they kept on not showing up. Was playing with my pistol the other day and realized the damn grips are a part of the molded polymer frame. They can't be replaced. Can't believe I never noticed that in seven months of owning, shooting, cleaning, and stripping the firearm. What a dork I am!

Ajetpilot

imported post

BluesBear wrote:
Lasers are also great for acquiring the target but for actual shooting your sights are a much better tool. Because due to the way they are mounted,your sights will always be more accurate (closer to POI)than the laser.
Boy, that's the truth. Last week I shot 100 rounds without the laser, then 100 with the laser. I was far more accurate without the laser. MaybeI just need topractice withit more often. There seems to be a different technique when using it.