• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I "scared" someone last night by OCing

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I had an amusing experience last night. I stopped by a local drugstore last night to pick up a prescription. I walked through the store, and back to the pharmacy. There were about 10 ten standing or sitting, waiting on prescriptions. I got in line, and as I standing there waiting, I heard a 13-16 year old girl say to her father (who was sitting off to the side), "Dad, look he's got a gun." I ignored her, and then I heard her father say, in a rather loud voice, "That's not good. I hope he's not planning on robbing them. I don't want to be in here if he's going to shoot up the place." Now, I was wearing a tucked in collared shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes; I don't believe I looked like a low life drug addict of the shirt planning on robbing the pharmacy to get a fix. This guy's daughter was standing a couple of feet away from me, and he didn't tell her to get away from me. In fact, he was so "scared" and "worried" that I was going to "shoot up the place" that he did not move. He sat there for 10 minutes waiting for his prescription, and even when he got it and paid for it, he and his daughter browsed through the aisles nearby; they were in no hurry to leave the store. No one else was bothered or seemed upset; the only person I saw react was one of the pharmaceutical assistants look up when the guy starting talking about me robbing the store. She glanced at him, looked at my properly holstered gun, and went back to what she was doing. I've carried in the store before, and I wouldn't be surprised if she recognized me. It just struck me as funny that a man who is supposedly fearing for his life and his daughter's didn't even bother to leave the store. How scared could someone be by my holstered gun, and then just go on with life?

Legba

imported post

Most people don't hold up well under stress like that. It's uncommon that kidnapping victims resist, or even scream, for example. It's a weird psychological dynamic at work. I saw a car wreck where a guy had slammed right through a pole holding up power lines. A line broke and was dangling near the car. The guy might have been electrocuted, a fire might have started... not even considering the guy's other injuries from the crash itself. There must have been 20 witnesses, and nobody so much as called 911 on a cell phone. I ran over and pulled the guy from the car (after checking him for neck/spine injury, etc), and it turned out OK, but it might have been the case that the guy got roasted alive with nobody to help him. I don't know that I'm so much braver than other people, but I've been in enough bad situations that I don't give in to panic any more (I trained as a basic EMT/medic as well). It's just something that most people never have to learn to overcome.

-ljp

FiremanJoe

imported post

I have had a woman "jump" back when she noticed my gun on my hip at a carry out in Deer Park, OHwhen I was buying lotto tickets one night... was kinda amuzzing.

BIG SHAFE

imported post

Legba wrote:
Most people don't hold up well under stress like that. It's uncommon that kidnapping victims resist, or even scream, for example. It's a weird psychological dynamic at work. I saw a car wreck where a guy had slammed right through a pole holding up power lines. A line broke and was dangling near the car. The guy might have been electrocuted, a fire might have started... not even considering the guy's other injuries from the crash itself. There must have been 20 witnesses, and nobody so much as called 911 on a cell phone. I ran over and pulled the guy from the car (after checking him for neck/spine injury, etc), and it turned out OK, but it might have been the case that the guy got roasted alive with nobody to help him. I don't know that I'm so much braver than other people, but I've been in enough bad situations that I don't give in to panic any more (I trained as a basic EMT/medic as well). It's just something that most people never have to learn to overcome.

-ljp

There is so much liability for even helping others in need that, that by itself is a deterrent for me. Along with that is the unknown of the people/situation/etc., but now that I carry I am more compelled to lend a helping knowing I have the training and the means to protect myself.

Brian D.

imported post

Having met dngreer at the OFCC picnic this summer, I can honestly say, with some amusement in fact,that he's not an overtly scary-looking guy. Maybe it was because he had that whole relaxed, quiet, cool guy thing going on with the shades and comfy chaise lounge.

Dn, that father's reaction to you at the store was an interesting combination of dumb moves, that's for sure. Mabe he just naturally gets mouthy when he's scared, but thinks that by loud-talking that his daughter--and everybody else--won't catch on.

Kind of a head-scratcher ain't it?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

:lol:Now you're joking me about how I look? :lol: And I see you're still not over me and the wife enjoying our comfortable lazy boy type lawn chairs while you and most of the other folks sat on hard picnic benches or had to stand. Oops, I'm sorry; am I rubbing it in? :D

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

It could have even been his weird sense of humor at work...

And I do agree with Legba, people act quite differently under stress.

I had an experience, somewhat like yours, but funnier. I was in the grocery store, and some kid said the same thing to his father, I would bet this kid was 5 or younger, as he was quite gullable. He told hold his father that I had a gun... his dad looked at me and smiled, and said, oh thats just a water pistol, kid bought it.:p

Yes, I know that probably wasn't the right thing for the father to say, but I wasn't about to get caught up in their business.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Would have been even funnier if the dad would have actually thought it was a water pistol. :shock:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
Would have been even funnier if the dad would have actually thought it was a water pistol. :shock:
Ha, yeah.

I assumed he told his kid it was a water pistol, because he knew I heard him, I sure hope he doesn't say that about it when nobody is around and his kid asks him about guns. A pool party could end in disaster!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

The guy at the drugstore yesterday seemed to be the "let me tell YOU something about YOU that YOU don't know" type of person. Italmost seemed like he wanted to get it an argument, so I just ignored him.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

dngreer wrote:
The guy at the drugstore yesterday seemed to be the "let me tell YOU something about YOU that YOU don't know" type of person. Italmost seemed like he wanted to get it an argument, so I just ignored him.

Yep. I thought the same thing as I read your account.
He wasn't scared.
He wasn't alarmed.
He is an overbearing blowhard that feels compelled to give people a hard time. He's the guy that intentionally speeds up when you try and pass him on the hwy.

lax

imported post

Stating the obvious "You're an idiot" might have snuck out from my lips. Your response was the correct one though.

reefteach

imported post

Kids notice more than adults in my limited experience. Maybe they are more observant. Maybe it is simply because they are at eye level with it. I am thinking he was a concealed carrier thinking this was his big opportunity to finally draw down on somebody and save the day. Ignoring him was a really good idea.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
I had an amusing experience last night. I stopped by a local drugstore last night to pick up a prescription. I walked through the store, and back to the pharmacy. There were about 10 ten standing or sitting, waiting on prescriptions. I got in line, and as I standing there waiting, I heard a 13-16 year old girl say to her father (who was sitting off to the side), "Dad, look he's got a gun." I ignored her, and then I heard her father say, in a rather loud voice, "That's not good. I hope he's not planning on robbing them. I don't want to be in here if he's going to shoot up the place." Now, I was wearing a tucked in collared shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes; I don't believe I looked like a low life drug addict of the shirt planning on robbing the pharmacy to get a fix. This guy's daughter was standing a couple of feet away from me, and he didn't tell her to get away from me. In fact, he was so "scared" and "worried" that I was going to "shoot up the place" that he did not move. He sat there for 10 minutes waiting for his prescription, and even when he got it and paid for it, he and his daughter browsed through the aisles nearby; they were in no hurry to leave the store. No one else was bothered or seemed upset; the only person I saw react was one of the pharmaceutical assistants look up when the guy starting talking about me robbing the store. She glanced at him, looked at my properly holstered gun, and went back to what she was doing. I've carried in the store before, and I wouldn't be surprised if she recognized me. It just struck me as funny that a man who is supposedly fearing for his life and his daughter's didn't even bother to leave the store. How scared could someone be by my holstered gun, and then just go on with life?
You should have turned to him all serious and said "Yes, and now you've seen my face." :what:

:lol:

LoveMyCountry

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dngreer wrote:
SNIP I had an amusing experience last night.
That sounds about like something Jim Sollo of Virginians Against Constitutional Rights (anti-gun nuts) would say as a tactic to call public attention to your carry.

I wonder if it might be a good idea to call the police and report an attempt at inducing panic.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
You should have turned to him all serious and said "Yes, and now you've seen my face." :what:

:lol:

LoveMyCountry
:lol:I should have offered to let him use my cell phone to call the police to inform them a law-abiding citizen was lawfully carrying a holstered firearm and no one was freaking out except for him. And he was so scared he borrowed the "crazy" gun owner's phone to call the police. THAT would have been hilarious!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
That sounds about like something Jim Sollo of Virginians Against Constitutional Rights (anti-gun nuts) would say as a tactic to call public attention to your carry.
I actually wondered about that. Who knows...