• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Taser Shotgun Shell

No NAU

imported post

In light of all the recent tasering that seems to be going on I was doing some reading and found this new product.

Don't know if this is common knowledge but I was unaware of it and thought I would post the info.

http://www2.taser.com/products/law/Pages/XREP.aspx

xrep.jpg

Introducing the TASER XREP – the eXtended Range Electronic Projectile. XREP is a self-contained, wireless projectile that fires from a standard 12-gauge shotgun. It delivers the same Neuro-Muscular Incapacitation (NMI) bio-effect as our handheld TASER X26, but can be delivered to a distance of up to 100 feet, combining blunt impact with field proven TASER NMI.
The core technology that made the XREP possible is the XREP engine. A stunning engineering achievement, the XREP Engine provides the same bio-effect as our field proven X26, but from an electronics package that weighs only 2.4 grams and consumes less than one tenth of a cubic inch. In order to achieve a wireless projectile, the battery is fully integrated into the chassis and autonomously provides the power to drive the XREP engine for its full 20-second cycle.

The XREP comes pre-packaged in shell that is compatible with existing 12 gauge launchers. The transparent shell ensures officers properly identify the XREP prior to loading it in the shotgun.

As the TASER XREP is deployed, a rip cord attached between the shell and the projectile activates the projectile. Once activated, the TASER XREP is “live” as it comes out of the barrel. The XREP autonomously generates incapacitating Neuro Muscular Incapacitation for 20 continuous seconds -- enough time to close the distance and take the offender into custody without risking injury to officers.

Not only does the XREP incorporate a revolutionary electronic payload, the XREP also incorporates a radical new spin stabilization technology to maximize accuracy. As the XREP leaves the barrel, 3 torsion spring fins deploy, causing the projectile to spin, even when launched from a smooth bore, providing superior accuracy and flight stabilization. The TASER XREP launch velocity is approximately 300 feet per second.

The nose assembly of the XREP contains 4 forward facing barbed electrodes and the collapsible electrode cowling. On impact, the forward facing barbed electrodes attach to the body of the target.

The energy from the impact breaks a series of fracture pins that release the main chassis of the XREP which remains connected to the nose by a Kevlar reinforced fiber. As the chassis falls away, 6 cholla electrodes automatically deploy. Named after the famous desert cactus, the cholla electrodes penetrate clothing to deliver the TASER XREP’s powerful NMI over a greater body mass.

Another innovative and unique feature of the XREP nose is the reflex engagement electrode. A normal reaction to the pain of a projectile impact is for the subject to grab at the impact site. If the subject tries to grab or disconnect the XREP projectile, the reflex engagement electrodes complete a circuit allowing TASER NMI to discharge from the Nose Electrodes, through the subject’s body, out to the hand that grabbed the XREP. This creates a significant spread that allows the XREP pulses to affect a large body mass, causing overpowering Neuro Muscular Incapacitation.
To maximize incapacitation, the XREP engine incorporates a microprocessor controlled optimal electrode selection technology. Twenty times per second, the XREP Engine checks for the best electrode connection to maximize the contact spread and achieve greatest incapacitation. If the Cholla or Reflex Engagement electrodes make contact, the XREP engine automatically delivers NMI impulses from the nose electrodes to the selected electrode. In fact, if the subject even grabs the tether, a live hand-trap wire makes a connection and the NMI effect is delivered through the hand, preventing the subject from letting go. If none of the preferred electrodes are in contact, the XREP delivers its impulse across the front electrodes, creating a painful stimulus to distract, disorient, and entice the subject to grab for the XREP making a hand connection, or to move in reaction to the pain which can help the cholla electrodes on the main chassis to engage.

The XREP will be released into a pilot field test phase in the fall of 2007. The pilot stage is expected to last 6-12 months before full production release.

TASER XREP: The most technologically advanced projectile ever fired from a 12 gauge shotgun.

expvideo

imported post

Great. Another weapon for the police to treat like a toy and accidentally kill people with. It was nice having a constitution, but let's make way for the jack-boots.

Anyway, I can't think of a single thing you would need a 100 foot range on a taser for. There is a good reason to have a 21 or 27 foot range, and that is so that it is used for self defense. This new addition to their lineup will only be used to harm people that pose no threat to the officers. Beyond 27 feet, there is no threat I can pose to the safety of an officer that shouldn't be met with gunfire.

No NAU

imported post

I'm imagining a bunch of folks who escaped their "free-speech-zone" fence getting hit with these. Then the folks who have medical problems from the electrical shock not getting treatment as they are lying in a pile of crumpled, tased, bodies. I'm imagining large groups of people writhing on the ground all doing the "taser scream" while riot police watch from 75 meters.

With a pistol taser one has the wire connecting the taser to the person shot. There is a relationship. This is anonymous in a group scenario. Since it is "non-lethal" just blast away...:uhoh:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Lovely. Just lovely. Did you see the pic of the "cop" on their website? Looks pretty stormtrooperish to me.

I can't stand police uniforms that look "tactical" and "paramilitary" They need to stand out from the military. When they start looking like military, then they start acting and thinking like...

I'm all for law and order, but I'm also all for a difference between POLICE and PARAMILITARY.

At any rate, this shotshell is a Bad Idea. Someone will end up bouncing this off someone's head, probably a bystander and kill them.

Write your local PD and city government and demand they NOT issue these devices.

massltca

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Great. Another weapon for the police to treat like a toy and accidentally kill people with. It was nice having a constitution, but let's make way for the jack-boots.

Anyway, I can't think of a single thing you would need a 100 foot range on a taser for. There is a good reason to have a 21 or 27 foot range, and that is so that it is used for self defense. This new addition to their lineup will only be used to harm people that pose no threat to the officers. Beyond 27 feet, there is no threat I can pose to the safety of an officer that shouldn't be met with gunfire.
I know, the police in PRM now have tasers and I'm sure they'd love these. :uhoh:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Instead, consider that Less-Than-Lethal is marketeering and raise the liability for death to the same level as for deadly-force. There is a reasonable likelyhood that marginally less than deadly force, qua Less-Than-Lethal, will result in death.

There are no accidents with a key in the ignition or a round chambered, even if it is only a Thomas A. Swift Electric Rifle eXtended Range Electronic Projectile.

The XREP autonomously generates incapacitating Neuro Muscular Incapacitation for 20 continuous seconds -- enough time to close the distance and take the offender into custody without risking injury to officers.
Will the absence of risk of injury to officers be considered when a citizen uses an XREP against the officers? I think not.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth - and TASER XREPs. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

expvideo

imported post

This tool will only be used to suppress liberty. There is no other purpose for it. Please email your local police departments and tell them that this kind of thing is unacceptable.

Maybe I should pick up a box of these. Nothing to piss off the gestapo more than to have access to the same thing they do. Then again, I imagine a slug would be more appropriate, since these serve absolutely no purpose.

imperialism2024

imported post

expvideo wrote:
This tool will only be used to suppress liberty. There is no other purpose for it. Please email your local police departments and tell them that this kind of thing is unacceptable.

Maybe I should pick up a box of these. Nothing to piss off the gestapo more than to have access to the same thing they do. Then again, I imagine a slug would be more appropriate, since these serve absolutely no purpose.
I don't know if I'd want to make the local PDs aware of these items at all, really. It may just spark curiousity and, well, we all know where that could go.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I'm pretty sure Taser's marketing people are quickly spreading the word to all their current customers, and potential buyers for this thing. No need to worry about have knowledge your local fuzz doesn't already have.

imperialism2024

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I'm pretty sure Taser's marketing people are quickly spreading the word to all their current customers, and potential buyers for this thing. No need to worry about have knowledge your local fuzz doesn't already have.
But planting the idea that these could be used with impunity to abuse people... might not be a good thing to tempt them with.

Either way... :cry:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
But planting the idea that these could be used with impunity to abuse people... might not be a good thing to tempt them with.

Either way... :cry:
I'm pretty sure they can think of all the wonderful uses for this amazing new toy without our help.:banghead:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

The TASER XREP launch velocity is approximately 300 feet per second.

If shooting from 100 feet, well this gives the target plenty of time to get out of the way if they are aware of what is coming.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Its not like you have to move far at all, jump 2-3 feet one way or another...

All it would do though is piss them off, and you would get shot with one eventually, or something more lethal.

And it would be a tad more than a 1/3 of a second, as it is only the initial launch speed, Id bet that slows down at least ten percent over 100 feet.

expvideo

imported post

On the brite side, a 2.4 gram projectile travelling 300 feet per second produces an extremely low amount of energy. So there would be very few deaths from impact alone.

imperialism2024

imported post

openryan wrote:
The TASER XREP launch velocity is approximately 300 feet per second.

If shooting from 100 feet, well this gives the target plenty of time to get out of the way if they are aware of what is coming.

Hell, most crossbows fire arrows faster than that...

molonlabetn

imported post

It's just another tool in the toolbox...

I can see these being very useful for capturing animals, too.

But just like anything that has a reasonable use, there is someone who will abuse it. Let's not blame misuse on an OBJECT, please... that is the kind of argument that anti's use against guns.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
On the brite side, a 2.4 gram projectile travelling 300 feet per second produces an extremely low amount of energy. So there would be very few deaths from impact alone
300 fps ~ 204.54 mph

expvideo

imported post

openryan wrote:
expvideo wrote:
On the brite side, a 2.4 gram projectile travelling 300 feet per second produces an extremely low amount of energy. So there would be very few deaths from impact alone
300 fps ~ 204.54 mph
7.4004 foot lbs

a 9mm 127 grain bullet travelling 1000 fps has about 281 foot lbs

Whereas a Daisy Red Rider BB gun, firing a 5.1 grain .177 bb at 350 fps (an astonishing238.636 mph) only hits in at 1.387 foot lbs.

Velocity means nothing without mass.

calculator