• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

long guns

wackjob

imported post

I have been researching the open carry oflong gunsin Ohio, and although I could not find anything in the Ohio Revised Code prohibiting it, I also could not find any other sources confirming it's legality. The few instanceswhere I have found refrences to long guns were rules for protests against their use. Myself being under 21, long guns are the only way in which I can participate in demonstrations.

Any help?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I believe what you have to be careful with it to not point it at anyone. If it is pointing straight in the air, or at the ground, I don't think you can be charged with brandishing.I have never seen anything that prohibits the OC of long guns, and if it's not prohibited, it's legal. I don't have a section of the O.R.C. to refer to, I'll try and find something to back up my statement. I've heard that's what the law is on long guns, but I have no proof. And I'm not a lawyer and it can be dangerous to just take people's word.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Careful, the screen name is starting to fit you....:shock:j/k

tarzan1888

imported post

wackjob wrote:
I have been researching the open carry oflong gunsin Ohio, and although I could not find anything in the Ohio Revised Code prohibiting it, I also could not find any other sources confirming it's legality. The few instanceswhere I have found refrences to long guns were rules for protests against their use. Myself being under 21, long guns are the only way in which I can participate in demonstrations.

Any help?

I carry a gun according to need.

When I am hunting ducks, for example I open carry a long gun (12 gauge shotgun)

It is a lot more cumbersome carrying a long gun than a handgun, which goes in a holster quite nicely, so you have your hands free.

A holster for a long gun would be a little cumbersome too, and it would probably be hard to bend your leg and such, so since I am not hunting, I would probably carry a hand gun and not a long gun in public places..................................................................but then I'm not a wackjob .

Tarzan

Legba

imported post

Just because you can do a thing legally doesn't make it advisable (sorry if this is contrary to the premise of the forum - just devil's advocating here). And what are these "demonstrations" you referred to exactly?

-ljp

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Brandishing will be your problem.

If the long arm has a sling and you carried it on your back pointing up, meaning you put your head through the sling and the sling was across your chest, then it would be hard for LEOs to charge brandishing.

Inducing panic is another issue.

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
wackjob wrote:
I want to carry a long gun around, just because I can. I want to desensitize people to firearms, especially in comercial areas.

You're a wackjob.

PM danbus and PackininVB . They can give you pointers. You guys would probably get along real good.

Make sure you decline to show yer ID, too....

You have got to admit. HankT can be really funny........when she want to be.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Tarzan

wackjob

imported post

I absolutely agree that a rifle could come in handy, but that's not why I want to carry one. I would keep it unloaded and just put a low capacity clip in my pocket. It sure would be a shame to need a gun, have a gun, and not be able to fire it.

Jersey Ron

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
HankT wrote:
wackjob wrote:
I want to carry a long gun around, just because I can. I want to desensitize people to firearms, especially in comercial areas.

You're a wackjob.

PM danbus and PackininVB . They can give you pointers. You guys would probably get along real good.

You have got to admit. HankT can be really funny........when she want to be.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Tarzan
:lol:Hank, you had me laughing 'til my stomach started to hurt. I hang around just to see what you say next!! :lol:

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
......Andwhy a low capacity mag? That doesn't make any sense.........

Shhhhh, I 'll type softly so no one hears HankT.

It doesn't make any sense, because wackjob doesn't make any sense.

Tarzan

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Thundar

imported post

HankT wrote:
wackjob wrote:

You're a wackjob.

Wackjob,

There are those in this open carry forum that believe that you should only open carry handguns. They think that you will ruin it for everybody else, exercising your rights.

Funny thing isopen carriers get the same treatment from concealed carry advocates that you are getting from HankT.

I open carry a lot, often a SIG 229, sometimes a long gun. There is nothing illegal about doing it in most of the nation, but there are some people that freak out. Have a plan to deal with it. Don't be a wackjob when you do it Wackjob, and enjoy the freedom. Remember, you don't really have a right if you are afraid to use it.

Live Free or Die

JSK333

imported post

I read of someone walking their dog on the sidewalk in their neighborhood with an AR15 on their back. A year or so ago I think.

LEOs were called by a neighbor, advised the guy not do it because of the panic it was creating/could create, but didn't do anything else like detain or arrest him.

This was in the greater Cincinnati area, I think northeast a bit.

I imagine reactions will largely depend on your neighborhood and appearance, like with most abnormal things.

tarzan1888

imported post

Thundar wrote:
.....There are those in this open carry forum that believe that you should only open carry handguns. They think that you will ruin it for everybody else, exercising your rights......

This is true.

There are also people on this forum who would like ANYONE who carries ANY weapon openly to do so RESPONSIBLY and not like a wackjob. I resemble that remark.

Tarzan

American Rattlesnake

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
There are also people on this forum who would like ANYONE who carries ANY weapon openly to do so RESPONSIBLY and not like a wackjob. I resemble that remark.

The point here is that open carrying a rifle is not inherently irresponsible any more than carrying a handgun. For both you need to excercise due diligence in being safe (holster for the handgun, sling/muzzle down for rifle, for example.)

I am with Thundar on this one...don't understand why the same arguments are being used to discourage open carry of rifles that are used by CC'er purists to discourage open carry of handguns.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Legba

imported post

Ben Franklin quotes notwithstanding, I carry my rifles slung over my shoulder with the muzzle up - the "wrong" way these days. All the vets in my family were taught the other way and I just kind of picked it up. In any case, during one of my seemingly endless police stops over guns, they were greatly concerned that I had a "sniper rifle" in my trunk. OCing it would have met with guns drawn, a SWAT call, etc. I have no doubt. Handguns are less conspicuous and easier to holster in anon-threatening way.

That said, these are the same rights at issue. I'm just suggesting that others might respond differently. The police most likely will, and with hostility. Anything that can cut through their ballistic armor (i.e. most rifles worth owning) will piss them off. That and I will say "I told you so" when you get arrested. Not that I disagree with the premise, but I just don't think it will ever gain acceptance.

-ljp

tarzan1888

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:

The point here is that open carrying a rifle is not inherently irresponsible any more than carrying a handgun. For both you need to excercise due diligence in being safe (holster for the handgun, sling/muzzle down for rifle, for example.)

I am with Thundar on this one...don't understand why the same arguments are being used to discourage open carry of rifles that are used by CC'er purists to discourage open carry of handguns.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

If you look past my poor attempt at humor I agree with both of you.

I have no more problem with a person openly carrying a long gun than I do a handgun. My problem is with anyone who carries irresponsibly in ANY manner.

Tarzan

American Rattlesnake

imported post

Tarzan1888 wrote:
If you look past my poor attempt at humor I agree with both of you.

I have no more problem with a person openly carrying a long gun than I do a handgun. My problem is with anyone who carries irresponsibly in ANY manner.
I have no argument with that! My apologies for taking your post out of context.

Regards,
AR